Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/9/2020 9:00:59 PM EDT
I’ve been watching pipe restoration threads on YouTube lately and have been wanting to give it a try. I hit the local flea market and found this little gem for nine dollars. Not really something you’d want to stick in your mouth and start smoking!

The maker’s mark is Pipe Maker  Imported Briar.  The stem is marked with a white dot with a red center dot.  The only thing I can find so far is that Pipe Maker was an American company. I haven’t found any other info like location or dates of manufacture.

The stem has a threaded aluminum insert and was past time when threaded on.

I heated the stem and was able to turn the insert to correct the timing.

The first step was sanding. I started with an 800 grit pad.

Then 1000 grit.

Followed by 1200 grit.

I had some aniline die that was actually mixed to die modern walnut a red color to match pre-1900 Winchester rifle stocks. It was the only die I had so I q-tipped it on.

After wiping.

After the stain had dried, I started buffing. I found a chunk of wax in my Dad’s stuff that I thought might be carnauba, but after buffing it I think it might have been beeswax. I’ll have to get some carnauba and see if I can’t get a little more gloss.

I’m really happy with the way it turned out for my first pipe restoration effort. I was lucky this pipe didn’t really need much work in the bowl. A good cleaning and a little sanding put the bowl in good shape. If anyone has done any pipe restoration, please post them up.

@DK-Prof
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome OP!  I’m a rare pipe smoker who inherited my dads small bunch of pipes.  Just the Cleaning of them was kind of a tense thing bc I wanted to ensure I didn’t damage anything.

Comments and pics like this from more experienced folks really helps, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually went on the hunt for an old pipe to restore today cause I'm a cheapskate and don't really want to drop $80 or better for a decent new pipe .  Struck out, but when I find one I'll definitely be back to this thread.  You did a great job, looks nice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got several old pipes from my Dads smoking days.  This is good info on what might be a relaxing past time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a bunch of restoration supplies off amazon and am following 6 or 7 lots of estate pipes on eBay.

I may have opened Pandora’s box.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I still kick myself for not buying a heavily used dunhill at the stl pipe show for $100 just to see if I could restore it. Great thread.

edit- did you buy obsidian pipe stem polish? Shit is like magic oil for stems
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still kick myself for not buying a heavily used dunhill at the stl pipe show for $100 just to see if I could restore it. Great thread.

edit- did you buy obsidian pipe stem polish? Shit is like magic oil for stems
View Quote
I’ll look into it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have done about a dozen pipes. Reborn Pipes is a great site to learn tips and instruction. I use the sanding pads and move up to 4k grit and use Johnson's Paste wax to finish. I have snagged 2 Dunhill pipes for 9 bucks. I have several BBB and others. I have found myself gravitating towards Kaywoodie and Vintage Dr. Grabow simple because they are American made and they tend to be fantastic smokers. Kaywoodie at one time had cornered the market on Algerian briar which has been though to be some of the best briar to craft a pipe with.

PipePhil is the place to research vintage pipes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have done about a dozen pipes. Reborn Pipes is a great site to learn tips and instruction. I use the sanding pads and move up to 4k grit and use Johnson's Paste wax to finish. I have snagged 2 Dunhill pipes for 9 bucks. I have several BBB and others. I have found myself gravitating towards Kaywoodie and Vintage Dr. Grabow simple because they are American made and they tend to be fantastic smokers. Kaywoodie at one time had cornered the market on Algerian briar which has been though to be some of the best briar to craft a pipe with.

PipePhil is the place to research vintage pipes.
View Quote
Those look like great websites, thanks!

Post some pictures of your pipes, I’d love to see them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Here a a few I have with me. All have been found at thrift stores but the Peterson in the middle.
Top: Linkman- pre Dr. Grabow
Next down: English Comoy with acrylic stem. Comoy has had numerous owners through the years, this one was made in England.
Next down: Dr. Graybow Duke. Note the Blue Spade, indicating it was a coupon pipe from Sir. Walter Raleigh
Bottom: Kaywoodie Canadian, missing the cloverleaf inlay. It had fallen out as they can do when the plastic shrinks. I have seen folks reproduce them but I haven't tried.

All had heavy cake in the bowls when found. Just black and nasty looking. Once clean all are fine smokers.
Here is my travel case packed up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful pipes!  I really like the Peterson.

I need to find a large travel case. I have a single pipe case, but when I get together with friends to smoke and sample I have to carry everything around in a cardboard box.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice work.  I've cleaned up a couple of old pipes but I didn't sand the bowl. I have a pipe reamer that I used to get the cake out, and then I filled them up with non-iodized salt and poured in everclear. The everclear dissolved the tar that was leached into the briar and the salt soaked it up. I did that a few times until the salt stopped turning brown.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Beautiful pipes!  I really like the Peterson.

I need to find a large travel case. I have a single pipe case, but when I get together with friends to smoke and sample I have to carry everything around in a cardboard box.
View Quote
If you find one let us know. I stick mine in a hard case travel humidor i use for my cigars but it's clunky and not sexy
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you find one let us know. I stick mine in a hard case travel humidor i use for my cigars but it's clunky and not sexy
View Quote
I’ve been looking at this one. They say it’s a four pipe, but there aren’t any inside photos.

Case on Amazon

Another 4 pipe case without interior photos
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I want to say I got mine off eBay. Search for Black-Leather-Combination-3-Pipes-Pipe-Bag-Case-With-Tobacco-Pouch. It is cheap, the wrist loop broke off, I never used it so I never noticed until I saw it one day. It works better than having them knock about in a zip-lock bag

I do need to say that the pouches are nice, but the tobacco will dry out quickly as they do not seal well. My step father used to use a leather tobacco case that was lined with vinyl or latex which would roll up on itself and seal. I do not remember him having any problems with his.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want to say I got mine off eBay. Search for Black-Leather-Combination-3-Pipes-Pipe-Bag-Case-With-Tobacco-Pouch. It is cheap, the wrist loop broke off, I never used it so I never noticed until I saw it one day. It works better than having them knock about in a zip-lock bag

I do need to say that the pouches are nice, but the tobacco will dry out quickly as they do not seal well. My step father used to use a leather tobacco case that was lined with vinyl or latex which would roll up on itself and seal. I do not remember him having any problems with his.
View Quote
I jar all of my tobacco, so I’ll probably end up with some sort of case for the tobacco and another for the pipes.  I’ve also thought about looking for a tool box or a tackle box I could modify.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Here’s my latest pipe restoration. It’s a Brewster billiard. I wish I had taken a before photo. It was so nasty, I really didn’t think it would restore and I put the stem in Oxy-Clean to soak before I thought about a photo.  The stem had been burnt in a couple of places and didn’t clean up perfectly, but it’s certainly a smokable pipe now.

Here’s some info from the web on the Brewster pipe.

All the Brewsters were “made” in about 64’… Brewster… is probably from Fratelli Rossi from 64’… Ted, an older pipe smoker than me, suggested the Brewster pipes are comparable to the Willard pipes, and that Brewsters were often sold either with tobacco, or in a coupon offer. For example Brewster was sold as a redemption offer with Brown and Williamson for Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice!
Be careful pretty soon you find they multiply very quickly. Also don't look on eBay for lots of used pipes had on the cheap
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice!
Be careful pretty soon you find they multiply very quickly. Also don't look on eBay for lots of used pipes had on the cheap
View Quote
Bidding on some now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bidding on some now.
View Quote
If you run across a larger lot that you would want to split or sell a few out of to recoup let me know!

the problem I ran across was to get anything worth anything you had to buy 30-50 pipes in the lot and I just can't bring myself to throw any away to get to the good stuff
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you run across a larger lot that you would want to split or sell a few out of to recoup let me know!

the problem I ran across was to get anything worth anything you had to buy 30-50 pipes in the lot and I just can't bring myself to throw any away to get to the good stuff
View Quote
@rocky59

I’m bidding on 60 right now.  If I get them bought you’re welcome to check them out.  I almost exclusively smoke bent styles.  If you like straights, I’m sure there will be plenty to pick from.

The Petersons are all mine though!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Here’s my latest. This a Breeden’s Own. Based on the limited info I can find, it’s a London maker. This one was a simple resto, basically ream the bowl, tighten the stem and refinish.

I bought 3 more at flea markets today so more are on the way!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@rocky59

I'm bidding on 60 right now.  If I get them bought you're welcome to check them out.  I almost exclusively smoke bent styles.  If you like straights, I'm sure there will be plenty to pick from.

The Petersons are all mine though!
View Quote
Hahahaha! Love my Peterson's. Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]
What are you using to ream the bowls?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What are you using to ream the bowls?
View Quote
@wlc

I have a T handle reamer with four sets of blades like this.

Scotte T handle Reamer

And an adjustable reamer like this.

Scotte Adjustable Reamer

ETA, I do the rough removal with the T handle, then finish with the adjustable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks.  Been woodworking my whole life, shouldn't be surprised that an aspect has its own specialized tools.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Here’s a little Willard I’ve been working on.

This a Yello-Bole I finished this evening.  It was actually a lot more work than I thought it would be. It had some sought of varnish on the bowl that was a lot of work to remove.

This is a Falcon I picked up off one of the pipe forums I’m on. All it needed was a little chatter worked out of the stem.

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think you may be developing a problem.  
View Quote
I can quit whenever I want!

I just don’t want to.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#31]
That Yello-Bowl seems to be an Airograte from Smoking Metal

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#32]
15 new projects in from EBay today!!!

I’ll be posting pictures as I get some done.  I have a Peterson restoration and a cob project in the works right now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Here’s my Peterson project finished. This one basically just need cleaned and polished with a little oxidation worked out of the stem. The only issue with this pipe was an over drilled bowl.  The bowl was drilled too deep from the factory by a considerable amount. The pipe hadn’t been smoked much, but if it had I’m sure it would have been a gurgler, also it could have burned out easier. I decided to have a go at fixing it, so I ordered some Miracle Pipe Mud from Aristicob.  I’ve read good reviews on this, but I’d never used it.

Here is the pipe cleaned up.

Here is the floor of the chamber raised with the pipe mud.

I’ve got another day before it’s cured for smoking, but I’ll report back when I’ve smoked it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Here’s an idea of what you can do with a little elbow grease. These two stems were both very heavily oxidized and were basically identical before I started on the first one. I’ve got about an hours work in the stem on the left.

The circled pipe is the one I’m currently working on. You honestly wouldn’t think the stem was supposed to black unless you knew better.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Im not a pipe smoker (a smoker at all) but I have really enjoyed seeing your restorations.  Please keep the posts going!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#36]
That sure is a pile of pipes.  Looking forward to seeing them restored.  Any really old or collectible/valuable in the bunch?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That sure is a pile of pipes.  Looking forward to seeing them restored.  Any really old or collectible/valuable in the bunch?
View Quote

There is a McCranie's, a Charatan, a nice sterling silver mounted P-lip Peterson, an Edwards, a couple of Comoys, a Kaywoodie, a couple of Swinks, a Savoy and a Royal Ascot plus a really cool little vest pocket pipe.  All of them are restorable, but the Charatan has a cracked mortise.  It’s fixable, but it wouldn’t be an every day smoker.

The Peterson will probably worth as much as I payed for the entire lot when it’s restored. It’s certainly a pipe I will keep, but a few of the others may end up for sale or offered for trade bait.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Im not a pipe smoker (a smoker at all) but I have really enjoyed seeing your restorations.  Please keep the posts going!
View Quote

Thank you! I’ll certainly keep posting as I go. I’ll try to post more in progress photos, but I tend to get wrapped up in what I’m doing and forget to take pictures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There is a McCranie's, a Charatan, a nice sterling silver mounted P-lip Peterson, an Edwards, a couple of Comoys, a Kaywoodie, a couple of Swinks, a Savoy and a Royal Ascot plus a really cool little vest pocket pipe.  All of them are restorable, but the Charatan has a cracked mortise.  It’s fixable, but it wouldn’t be an every day smoker.

The Peterson will probably worth as much as I payed for the entire lot when it’s restored. It’s certainly a pipe I will keep, but a few of the others may end up for sale or offered for trade bait.
View Quote

The Peterson is the one on the upper left, correct?  What shape/style or whatever they call them is that one?  I know it's a bent whatever, but the bowl shape has a number do you know what number?  I've been looking at too many pipe threads.  I'm a cigar smoker, but all these pipes I've been seeing has me wanting to try one.  Peterson seems like a good brand from what I can gather and won't break the bank.  Trying to decide on shape and style now.  Any pointers on different shapes?  My dad used to smoke a pipe years and years ago, just a regular ole straight billiard as best I can remember.  They are probably still sitting in the "junk" drawer in their kitchen.  Next time I fly down to visit I may liberate them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Peterson is the one on the upper left, correct?  What shape/style or whatever they call them is that one?  I know it's a bent whatever, but the bowl shape has a number do you know what number?  I've been looking at too many pipe threads.  I'm a cigar smoker, but all these pipes I've been seeing has me wanting to try one.  Peterson seems like a good brand from what I can gather and won't break the bank.  Trying to decide on shape and style now.  Any pointers on different shapes?  My dad used to smoke a pipe years and years ago, just a regular ole straight billiard as best I can remember.  They are probably still sitting in the "junk" drawer in their kitchen.  Next time I fly down to visit I may liberate them.
View Quote

@wlc

You’ve got a good eye, that’s the Peterson. I’m pretty sure it’s a bent apple 03 like this one fromSmoking pipes.com bent apple 03

My favorite shape is the XL90 bent billiard. I also like the P-lip mouthpiece. Some people like them, some people don’t. I probably wouldn’t buy a P-lip for my first pipe, but I would definitely try one if you get into it. Here’s anXL90 on smokingpipes.com You’ll see the XL90 is very similar to the 03 but it’s bigger.

Smokingpipes.com is a great place to buy a Peterson, as they are owned by the same parent company. They also have a great selection of estate pipes. Here’s a great buy on anXL02 Aran Smooth on smokingpipes.com. This pipe falls between the 03 and the XL90 in size and has a traditional mouthpiece.

If you want a new pipe, smoking pipes.com currently has1390 in stock

As far as style goes, it’s really just a preference thing.  I prefer bent pipes because they hang nicely and keep the bowl out of my eyes, but I smoke about anything. If you buy something, be sure and post it in this thread, even if you buy a new pipe.

BTW, here’s an XL90 I bought on eBay a while back. I still need to do a resto on it, but I cleaned it up a little for now and have been smoking it. We’re supposed to have some nice weather for a few days and I’ve got a couple of storm doors to put on the house, so I’m not sure how much pipe work I’ll get done.  I’ll be sure to post a picture or two, as I really like this pipe.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice haul! I never tried a P-Lip, some say you either like them or hate them. I have several that the stems were as oxidized as that Pete. When I first began searching out pipes I thought it was supposed to be that color when I began to polish it up it began turning jet black to my surprise
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This thread has inspired me to “restore” some of my own pipes.  I still have most of the early ones I made - and a number of them are pretty terrible.  So I am actually reshaping a few of them, to turn them into much better-looking pipes.
View Quote

Post up some pics!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Robert, Thanks for the info!!!  Now recommend me a good pipe tobacco.  I have no clue.  Like I said I'm a cigar smoker and yall are starting to corrupt me
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Robert, Thanks for the info!!!  Now recommend me a good pipe tobacco.  I have no clue.  Like I said I'm a cigar smoker and yall are starting to corrupt me
View Quote

@wlc

My go to is Packet from John Dengler Tobacconist in St. Charles MO.  They are a small tobacco shop owned by the same family since 1917. They do their own blending and have some exquisite blends. Packet is my favorite but everything I’ve tried has been great. You can call 636.946.6899 and talk to Larry, the owner and he will make recommendations based on your tastes.  They will ship for the cost of a flat rate box.

They’re open during the crisis, but are doing curb service and shipping only. I was actually there this afternoon picking up a pound of Packet.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks!  I'll give them a call tomorrow.  Ordering a pipe tonight of some sort.  Think I may get the estate peterson you linked, or at least one like it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@wlc

My go to is Packet from John Dengler Tobacconist in St. Charles MO.  They are a small tobacco shop owned by the same family since 1917. They do their own blending and have some exquisite blends. Packet is my favorite but everything I've tried has been great. You can call 636.946.6899 and talk to Larry, the owner and he will make recommendations based on your tastes.  They will ship for the cost of a flat rate box.

They're open during the crisis, but are doing curb service and shipping only. I was actually there this afternoon picking up a pound of Packet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@wlc

My go to is Packet from John Dengler Tobacconist in St. Charles MO.  They are a small tobacco shop owned by the same family since 1917. They do their own blending and have some exquisite blends. Packet is my favorite but everything I've tried has been great. You can call 636.946.6899 and talk to Larry, the owner and he will make recommendations based on your tastes.  They will ship for the cost of a flat rate box.

They're open during the crisis, but are doing curb service and shipping only. I was actually there this afternoon picking up a pound of Packet.

If I may interject, whenever I'm setting someone up with a starter tobacco I go with captain black white bag. It's sold pretty much everywhere, it's very mild and automatic, and fairly cheap. It'll give you an idea of where to go in your tobacco choice.

I'm a cigar guy to pipe smoker convert so forget everything about "flavored" tobacco you know from the cigar world.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I may interject, whenever I'm setting someone up with a starter tobacco I go with captain black white bag. It's sold pretty much everywhere, it's very mild and automatic, and fairly cheap. It'll give you an idea of where to go in your tobacco choice.

I'm a cigar guy to pipe smoker convert so forget everything about "flavored" tobacco you know from the cigar world.
View Quote

@rocky59

As you are a cigar smoker, I would be curious to know what some of your favorite tobaccos are. I have a buddy currently making the jump from cigar to pipe and he is struggling to find a tobacco that gives him the taste he’s looking for.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@rocky59

As you are a cigar smoker, I would be curious to know what some of your favorite tobaccos are. I have a buddy currently making the jump from cigar to pipe and he is struggling to find a tobacco that gives him the taste he's looking for.

Thanks!
View Quote
For me personally I enjoy pipe smoking for the automatics and the more mild flavors it can give. Cigars are great and put off some astounding number of flavor notes but they tend to be all in the same line of flavors. I'm not a fan of artificial fruit or any other flavor for that matter that they impart on a cigar. It's the opposite with pipe tobaccos.

my favorite everyday is captain black white bag, bat in a hat by F&K, C&D very cherry, and CAO Eileens dream.

if you want to start and have fun with it, it's hard to beat a cherry tobacco just for the nostalgia of "what a pipe should smell like"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top