Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/5/2019 7:32:00 PM EDT
I'm new to cigars and I've really just been trying anything I see that looks good to me. I had a Montecristo Nicaraguan Series the other day, and that was wonderful.

What's your go to cigar? One you keep going back to?

And why?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Right now it is Rocky Patel Decade.   I’m not a big fan of other Rocky Patel cigars.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Oliva V double robusto for non-Cubans. Has some strength, and the flavor is awesome with some cocoa and earthiness. They're very consistent in flavor and construction too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could tell you but they are cheap and have been discontinued, so I'm buying as many as I can while I can and don't need the competition.

I had a montecristo platinum the other day and was also plenty pleased with it. I plan on trying all their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I could tell you but they are cheap and have been discontinued, so I'm buying as many as I can while I can and don't need the competition.

I had a montecristo platinum the other day and was also plenty pleased with it. I plan on trying all their stuff.
View Quote
Wat.  Somalian cigars?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Cohiba Cuban cigars are my favorite no doubt. Their Dominican Republic versions are good as well though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My go-to cheap smoker: Rocky Patel Edge Lite Toro.

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
NUB habanos
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Rocky Patel The Edge series
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Wat.  Somalian cigars?
View Quote
Wow how original.

By the way, this isn't GD. Come rib on me over there, it'll be fun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
My "desert island" smoke, the cigar I would choose if I could only have one specific brand/type for the rest of my life?  Ashton VSG Spellbound.  7.5 x 54.  Box price works out to just under $14 each.  I don't smoke a lot, maybe one or two a week.

Their ESG line is pretty damn good, too, just smoked a 23-year today.  But the ESG pricing is getting close to upper-level Padron territory

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
La Gloria Cubana

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow how original.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.  Somalian cigars?
Wow how original.

Ok.

To OPs question, another couple slightly off the radar picks are Laranja (toro is my favorite size of these) and Curivari Buenaventura. The Buenaventura is one of the top value cigars IMO, maybe 4-5 bucks apiece and punch waaaay over their weight. They could charge double and it'd still be fair.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
H Upmann by AJ Fernandez
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Java Latte Toro
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Bolivar Belicoso Fino

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
My tastes have changed over the years but I still am a maduro fan and always will be. My go to as of now is a Padron 7000 maduro or a Rocky Patel sungrown maduro. Both are equally tasty....
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for your suggestions friends. I'll have to keep a list of all you've suggested and pick them up at my Local shop.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/ci-fresh-rolled-cuban-wheels-cigars/1475361/

I buy this Cuben wheel. It's a good everyday smoke and because there is 40 in the bundel, works out pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Montecristo White.  Size depends on the time
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Joya De Nicaragua or Macanudo.

ETA: I quit about 24 years ago when I was smoking 2-5 cigars a day, and inhaling them like a cigarette.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Short:
Fuente Hemingway Short story and or best seller/work of art

Medium:
Ashton Symmetry
Don Carlos Personal reserve / eye of the shark

Special occasion
Fuente Opus X Lost City

But really, Im into probably the thousands of cigars sitting around.  So I have everything basically.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
This one might go cheap and is an OK smoke. I'd be on it if I didn't already have a bunch of them. I still throw out super cheap bids on them.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/genesis-the-project-by-ramon-bueso-muy-bueso/3155769/

Eta: I'm smoking 3 cigars a day right now, I cant afford to smoke my father's. The recommendations of mine above should reflect that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for your suggestions friends. I'll have to keep a list of all you've suggested and pick them up at my Local shop.
View Quote
When I first got back into cigars, there were so many newer brands, I had no idea what to try.  I went online and got the last few years of Cigar Afficianado's top 25 of the year, and used that as a checklist.  A few clunkers in there, but most were pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This one might go cheap and is an OK smoke. I'd be on it if I didn't already have a bunch of them. I still throw out super cheap bids on them.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/genesis-the-project-by-ramon-bueso-muy-bueso/3155769/

Eta: I'm smoking 3 cigars a day right now, I cant afford to smoke my father's. The recommendations of mine above should reflect that.
View Quote
These aren't that bad if you can get a good deal. I've  only ever bought a 10pk, but have found they are a lot better if you let them sit a long time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Montecristo White.  Size depends on the time
View Quote
I really like the taste and construction  of the Espada also.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#26]
OP if you liked the Nicaraguan, try Joya de Nicaragua Antano, or other JDN, and pretty much anything from Viaje, Illusione, or Roma Craft.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These aren't that bad if you can get a good deal. I've  only ever bought a 10pk, but have found they are a lot better if you let them sit a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, this lot went for $35. The same thing today has been bid up to $47 while the 5 packs are sitting @ $5.50. Cbid is weird.

How long did you have to let yours sit? The ones I've been getting have been good the day I got them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL, this lot went for $35. The same thing today has been bid up to $47 while the 5 packs are sitting @ $5.50. Cbid is weird.

How long did you have to let yours sit? The ones I've been getting have been good the day I got them.
View Quote
I think mine have been sitting since last summer. I haven't had one for awhile honestly, but the first couple I had I thought were just okay. after that, they seemed to smoke better. They kinda made their way into the "cigars I give to friends when they come over" humidor.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think mine have been sitting since last summer. I haven't had one for awhile honestly, but the first couple I had I thought were just okay. after that, they seemed to smoke better. They kinda made their way into the "cigars I give to friends when they come over" humidor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who knows? Maybe the ones I bought have been sitting in cbids warehouse since last summer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who knows? Maybe the ones I bought have been sitting in cbids warehouse since last summer.
View Quote
Yeah right! Honestly I think most of these places are all connected some how. Tons of places up near the Poconos. Strange. As long as they keep the humidity  right, I don't  care how old they are. IM me if you have time to explain the ins and outside of CBid. Lol, maybe you shouldn't! Well, if you want to...
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I got a cigar sampler from CigarsDaily, I really like that guys YouTube channel and his site. FYI :)
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#32]
My value play is Rocky Patel 1999 or 2003 series, depending on day or night and what I’m doing.

Padron 1964 Anny is my favorite cigar in the more expensive range.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got a cigar sampler from CigarsDaily, I really like that guys YouTube channel and his site. FYI :)
View Quote
Which one - it looks like they have some nice assortments. Much better than the big houses with crappy Gurkha etc. filler cigars in everything.

Small Batch Cigars also has fantastic samplers. They are pretty full priced but a great way to get to know some of the more boutique brands.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah right! Honestly I think most of these places are all connected some how. Tons of places up near the Poconos. Strange. As long as they keep the humidity  right, I don't  care how old they are. IM me if you have time to explain the ins and outside of CBid. Lol, maybe you shouldn't! Well, if you want to...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you all I know right here as I've only been using it for a month.

Prices vary wildly, when you find something you want to try, copy and paste the cigar into the search bar to bring all the listings up. These are 2 auctions for the exact same thing, ending only 1 minute apart yet one is 3 times the price of the other. It will even out a lot by the end of the night but if you didn't see the cheaper one you're SOL.

Attachment Attached File

Always check the free fall price to compare. Its a time suck but for certain cigars like CAO Brazilian gol the free fall price is always lower than what the auctions close. I've been trying to pick more of these up for 3 weeks but haven't been successful because it always ends up more than the free fall. By the way OP, this CAO Brazilian GOL is a good cheap stick.

Cbid strategy is opposite ebay strategy. There is not many opportunities for sniping. To get the best deal you have to decide what you want to pay and then bid early or you'll get stuck paying more than people who got in before you. Those Ramon Bueso we discussed earlier? I picked up a bunch @ $1 apiece because I was the first to bid. Today someone has already bid @ $2.25 apiece.

Again, prices vary wildly. If you have a favorite and want to stock up on a recurring item bid low, early and often. Eventually one will slip through at deep discounts. I just picked up a box of 20 of my favorite cheap stick for $30 when they normally go for $45+. I bid on every single auction of these that come up.

That pretty much sums it up for what I know.

ETA: Don't be bidding drunk, lol. I woke up one morning with a $400 bill.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#36]
My everyday go to cigarvis the Artuero Fuente curlyhead deluxe......cheap and good
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Non-Cuban is Drew Estate Nightcrawler. It ain't no Liga Privada #9 by any stretch but it is a good, tasty, satisfying smoke for under 3 bucks if you buy them right. I really was impressed with the first one I smoked. I immediately went and bought 2-10 packs and keep them in good supply.

Cuban everyday is Partagas Shorts, and various Petite/Jr. Corona I have RyJ, Bolivar, Partagas in this vitola.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#38]
My daily is a Man O War Ruination.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Oliva V.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Still can't tell you what my go to is because I'm buying all I can.

But I will say the box of 20 I've bought at $30.50 just a few days ago just went for $48.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I've gotten to where I only keep four different smokes in the humidor.

Anytime smokes would be Diamond Crown Maximus and Julius Caesars. I keep about 5 of each of these two. I don't smoke everyday so when I do I'm going to smoke what I really like.

Special occasions are Davidoff The Late Hour and Fuente Opus X Lost City. I keep between 2 and 3 of each of these. They don't get smoked often but the Davidoff Late Hour is my absolute favorite and a Churchill comes in right at $20 so it doesn't break the bank.

If I smoke more than 4 cigars in a month then I pretty much had a social event every weekend.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Big fan of the CAO Flathead 660. For shorts I like the Hemingway Short Story and the Drew Estate MUWAT KFC Hamhock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#44]
RP Vintage 1990 or 1992. I usually take a week off before going back to the cheap stuff after one of those. They're just... perf.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I tried one of The Reckoning by Oliva today.  Little tight on the draw, but good flavor.  Ash hung on for over two inches.   Just got a box of Oliva V Melonia Robustos the other day.  Giving them some time to get acclimated before trying one.  I hope they are as good as I've heard and read.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I have a sampler pack of those coming. They are made at the same place with some of the same people as Alec Bradley, my favorite manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#48]
DE Java or Latte right now

Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#49]
For the money it has to be the Perdomo Fresco Maduro. Great smoke for the money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My everyday go to cigarvis the Artuero Fuente curlyhead deluxe......cheap and good
View Quote
This but in maduro.

Also, try Olivia Masters Blend 3
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top