Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:24:09 AM EDT
So i did the calibration on my hygrometer and all that and I've had my humidor up and going for a little over a week maybe.  Humidity won't go about around 62%.  I used the shot glass of distilled water and also filled up the sponge thing that sticks on lid.  Any other advice?  Im thinking i might have to order one of those Jell Jars or something to get it to where it needs to be.  Hard for me to control outside temperature too because of the tents we are in.  Even if its set in tent to a decent temp, on really cold nights the heater doesnt help.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First thing to do is IM me your APO/FPO addy.

Secondly your floral foam humidifer sucks.  That's likely the reason you can't get a good RH.  

Few steps to fix:

1. Gently GENTLY wipe down the inside of the humi with a damp paper towel dampened with distilled water.
2. Place in a bowl of distilled water.

When all else fails, google Heartfelt Beads and purchase 1/2 pound of 65%RH beads and a sock to put them in.

I have it.
He was in the Christmas box delivery.

Echo
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The humidity in the humidor I just got is stalled at around 60% as well.  Mine is a relatively small cedar humi.   I have a shot glass and one tube in there now.  It got to 60% pretty fast but has since stalled for 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
First thing do not trust your Hydrometer!  It will lie to you.  You need to do is the salt test on the hydrometer.  Find out what it reads at 70%.  I've had hydrometers 10 degrees and heard of some that never climb over 60%.  They just do not work very well.  

Second thing you need some propylene glycol.  Mix a 50% solution with distilled water.  PG helps to regulate humidity, slow evaporation, and prevent mold.  You can buy cigar juice (which is PG and distilled water) from cigar stores but they mark it up.  3 bucks for a pint at the pharmacy will last you life time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First thing do not trust your Hydrometer!  It will lie to you.  You need to do is the salt test on the hydrometer.  Find out what it reads at 70%.  I've had hydrometers 10 degrees and heard of some that never climb over 60%.  They just do not work very well.  

Second thing you need some propylene glycol.  Mix a 50% solution with distilled water.  PG helps to regulate humidity, slow evaporation, and prevent mold.  You can buy cigar juice (which is PG and distilled water) from cigar stores but they mark it up.  3 bucks for a pint at the pharmacy will last you life time.

Which pharmacy? cvs, walgreens and walmart act like they don't carry it.
One pharmacist at a small grocery said he used to keep some, but doesn't use it as a preservative anymore.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The humidity in the humidor I just got is stalled at around 60% as well.  Mine is a relatively small cedar humi.   I have a shot glass and one tube in there now.  It got to 60% pretty fast but has since stalled for 2-3 days.

If it stalls and you have a decent humidor and something good like beads, there's a problem.  

I see a lot of people screw up with multiple humidification sources.  They're constantly fighting with each other for RH control which results in a lower RH.

What beads are you using? RH? Hydrometer?

This is the tube I am using:  Tube

This is my humidor:  humidor

The directions said to use a shot glass of distilled water and the packaged humidifier.  I am using the tube instead of the humidifier that came with it.  It is the cheap hockey puck variety.  

The hygrometer  is just a cheapy.  However, it matches a more expensive calibrated unit I had when placed side by side.    I wouldn't be surprised if it was reading a little low.  I have had really dry air in the house this week.  The RH has been reading around 33% so we started running a humidifier for the house last night.  Maybe that will help.  

I was just surprised because it shot up to 60% really quickly and then seemed to level off.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Does your humidor pass the dollar bill test?

If you put a fleshlight flashlight in it do you see the light?

It's probably the hydrometer but I'd at least check the above.

One of my most expensive humis failed the dollar test.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

After a trip to google I would say no, my humidor does not pass the dollar bill test.   There is some resistance,  but the bill pulled free without much effort.  

I noticed that one of the google searches mentioned weather stripping, but that would seem to mess up the alignment with the hinges.   Another suggestion was a thin bead of silicone.  

Is all hope lost?   Good reviews have failed me again.

ETA:  The humidor passed the flashlight test.  I put a very bright flashlight in and saw no light leaks in a pitch black room.  I moved the light around a few times to make sure.  There is a pretty tall lip that the top fits over so I am not surprised it passed.  It could just close down tighter it seems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
dont trust a analog RH gauge unless you salt test it, buy a digital they give a better reading
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Doing a salt test now.  I hope this is helping the OP as well.   Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

After a trip to google I would say no, my humidor does not pass the dollar bill test.   There is some resistance,  but the bill pulled free without much effort.  

I noticed that one of the google searches mentioned weather stripping, but that would seem to mess up the alignment with the hinges.   Another suggestion was a thin bead of silicone.  

Is all hope lost?   Good reviews have failed me again.

ETA:  The humidor passed the flashlight test.  I put a very bright flashlight in and saw no light leaks in a pitch black room.  I moved the light around a few times to make sure.  There is a pretty tall lip that the top fits over so I am not surprised it passed.  It could just close down tighter it seems.

The weather stripping seems excessive to me unless it's really way off.

I have used "art store" green felt, the very thin version, cut to fit and carefully used a very sparing amount of white glue to apply it to the edges of either lid or box (or both if needed!) to help "seal" the humidor of some cheaper ones I've bought. Done carefully and trimmed accordingly it worked pretty well and didn't appear out of place.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes it is!!! Sorry, when all of you guys are surfing the net at work its night time for me, and then I work all day.  Didn't get time today to wipe down the inside of the humidor but ill try and do it tomorrow.  I also think i might take my Hygrometer to work so i can do a better salt test on it.  The one I did i let sit for a couple hours past 6 hours because i fell asleep.  I get payed tomorrow and i was really considering buying that little package thin in the deals forum.  Comes with a digital hygrometer, ash tray, seasoning juice i think.  Sound familiar to any of you? Think it was like $39.

Btw if you still need my addy just shoot me a PM, but like echo said, he's got it already since i received a great little cigar package from all you fine gentlemen!!  Thanks again!!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, after doing all of the tests...  I am pretty sure that my humidor is hovering around 60% with no change over the last several days.  One of my cheapo hygrometers was off, but after I did the salt test the difference matches what the other one is reading almost dead on.  

Is the green felt pretty much the best way to improve the seal?  Frustrating...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I did a bit of work on my little humidor this evening.   I lined the upper lip with self-stick felt.  After I did this, I noticed that the added thickness made it not close as flush.   I added a draw catch to the front and now it closes better.

I repeated the dollar bill test.  Now I can pull the weight of the humidor/cigars without the bill pulling free.  It takes much more effort.  Hopefully that will help.

A sheet of self-stick felt and a pack of brass colored draw catches was about 5 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the exact same humidor and problem. Trying to figure this out as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#17]
After about 4 hours the humidity hasn't changed one bit.  This is starting to get very frustrating.    My humidor now passes the light test and dollar bill test.   The lid does not move any more when I push down on it.  I just put a second tube in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After about 4 hours the humidity hasn't changed one bit.  This is starting to get very frustrating.    My humidor now passes the light test and dollar bill test.   The lid does not move any more when I push down on it.  I just put a second tube in.

Maybe time to upgrade to a can....Xikar.....4/6 oz....plastic gel can....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top