Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2021 2:41:43 PM EDT
Saw some wet tile saws at the tile store in the $100-$150 range. Thinking of buying one for the several shower and floor tile projects we are planning. I figure the cost spread out over all the projects makes is more economical than renting.

Or, is a $100-$150 wet tile saw going to be a POS?

Recommend a good one for a DIYer?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
how fast are you at doing this projects, realistically.  The big advantage to buying is you can take your time...it's also a huge disadvantage because sometimes paying for a rental gets you to work faster/more efficiently.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother bought a used Target tile saw from a rental company that was refreshing their machines. He used it for renovating his daughter's condo. He paid $600.00 and bought a new blade for it. He sold a couple of months later for $600.00 on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I would rent it for the simple fact that after a couple projects are done I wouldn't need or want a wet tile saw sitting on my work bench for the rest of my natural life.  And if I ever found myself needing one again I'd just rent one that hasn't been sitting on a shelf for 15 years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a cheap one. I’ve never needed it again after completing multiple projects. It was a better deal for me to buy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a cheap one. I’ve never needed it again after completing multiple projects. It was a better deal for me to buy.
View Quote

How cheap?

Will a $100 saw get me there reasonably as well as a $600 one?

Looking at putting up a couple hundred square feet of tile all said and done. And I don't mind another tool in the shop even if I don't need it for a while...
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Had this issue several years ago.  Renting wasn't bad, IF you could buckle down and get it all done in a day or two. However, I figured it was unlikely we would do so.  

Ended up buying a unit from Harbor Freight, on sale with a coupon. Used it over the course of several weeks, doing kitchen, bathrooms, entryway, etc as time allowed.

When I was done with the project, the saw had gone off sale.  I sold it for a profit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
We bought a cheap (sub $100) wet saw at a box store. Used it for several small/moderate projects then the included blade got to cutting slow (dull/worn out) put a decent blade on it and have done several more projects. It’s a little messy and the fence is sloppy. That said it does just fine and we still have it. I’m confident we could resell it tomorrow for nearly what we have in it.

Doing it all over again we’d do exactly the same. Renting gets you a better saw but unless you’re fast enough to take advantage of that you can spend a fortune on rental fees.

Put your money into quality floats/nibblers/grouting tools.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You will need to size the saw to the tile you want to cut. 12x12 needs a smaller saw than 12x24 or bigger.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a HF wet saw for around $50 +/- and a new blade. Did a main bath tub area and laundry sink/back splash. Would not recommend for your projects.
Still have it in my shop. Wife has used it a bit for some outside table projects.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I did 2000 sq ft of floor and two bathroom showers with a cheap HF wet saw.  I then lent it out a few times.  I borrowed it back once after giving it away and did one more room.  I then sold it, so in the end, the saw didn't cost me very much.

I bought the extended warranty because of the beating I planned on delivering.  I never needed it.

I even bought a diamond profiling bit and did edges on quite a bit of travertine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of tile are you installing? Are you cutting tile up to the baseboard or installing base on top of installed tile?

I say that as it may be just as easy to use a hand cutter and grinder depending on tile you choose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a $100 Ridgid one that I did a bunch of projects with, worked great.  Sold it for about what I bought it for.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a hft wet saw.  The tubing was shit, replaced that right away.
Spend the $$ on a good blade.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a $250 tile saw on sale at Lowes for $199. I've used it several times doing out bathroom and then I got "hired out" to do some small kitchens. I think if you're going to do more than a few jobs with it that it's worth it to get one if you're a DYIer. Hell I got a paint setup I've only used a few times but I wanted one pretty bad lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought a Harbor Freight Diamondback wet saw for a bathroom tile project. Worked great. Think it was around $175. Only thing I had to do was spend a little time adjusting the table to make sure it was perfectly perpendicular to the blade. Not a big deal, just a bit time consuming.

Used it later to cut 2” thick patio pavers after that. For as long as it took me on both projects, renting would have cost me more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What kind of tile are you installing? Are you cutting tile up to the baseboard or installing base on top of installed tile?

I say that as it may be just as easy to use a hand cutter and grinder depending on tile you choose.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If you lived closer to Kansas City I'd let you borrow one of my 4 saws. Haven't set tile save for a few backsplashes the past couple of years, hire it all out now. I don't miss it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. Now my son is using it for his backsplash. Then I’ll use it in the bathroom redo.
Money well spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top