Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2021 11:18:50 AM EDT
My house was built in 1996.  ALL the trim and interior doors are stained as shown below. It seems this a very dated style and most trim these days is white or some other painted color.

What's the best approach to update this look?  Rip all the trim off and put up new?  Paint over the existing?  Leave it and wait and for it to come back in style?

Not sure at all really where to start?

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Remove and replace. I did 4” nominal MDF with a parting bead and one panel shaker doors.

ETA: Gold hardware is OUT.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't imagine why you would rip that out and replace.
Just paint it.  Paint the doors too if you like.
That's why God invented paint.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
That stuff just looks worse when painted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO, it looks fine.

Preparing the surfaces (cleaning and scuffing) so the paint adheres is a BIG job.  It is difficult to do properly when everything, like the trim, is installed.  Get it wrong and the paint peels at the lightest bump.  

The doors are doable, because they are flat.  A sander will work but makes a lot of dust indoors.

If you truly cannot abide the style, I'd replace them.  Get pre-primed trim and replacement doors.  Paint them before installation and touch up afterwards.

Personally, I dislike single flat panel doors like those and would replace those even if I kept the trim.  Use solid core doors, not hollow, they are worth the cost.

Consider replacing the doors for visual style update.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not replace wood trim with a cheaper material.  Get new doors and hardware.  oil rubbed bronze and lever style knobs on some type of paneled door.  Paint the doors if you want but I'd leave the trim.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My opinion for what it's worth is leave it alone. It looks good to me.
There is an awful lot of toothpaste in that tube that will never go back in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, I dislike single flat panel doors like those and would replace those even if I kept the trim.  Use solid core doors, not hollow, they are worth the cost.

Consider replacing the doors for visual style update.
View Quote

This.

Upgrade the doors (and hardware), keep the trim. Paint the walls a shade to complement the trim.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Like a few others have said......pull doors off, and then set them aside.
Replace with a modern 6 panel style solid-core doors, use old doors as a template for new doors.

Remove all the hardware from the door frames, make any wood repairs needed to the area where the lock set goes, and the hinge holes.

Use Scotchbrite pads to rough-up the wood trim finish, Killz primer should adhere just fine before you apply your paint.

Then reassemble and enjoy  the results.....and the increase in your home value.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Two coats of Killz stain block primer followed by high quality white semi gloss paint works great! Repaint walls and replace all hardware with satin nickel also.

Completely transforms the interior of a nicely kept but outdated house.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Scuff with a deglosser, wipe down, prime with stain blocker, paint.

I like wood tones

What about a craftsman style trim job?

Attachment Attached File

If I'm not installing painted trim, cherry has been popular. Knotty alder as well

What's your budget. Time, too
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 1974 home which had dated doors and molding. Replaced nine interior doors and trim over a winter... Very pleased. Bought these at Lowes.
Note: I replaced all of the door trim with MDF (Painted with good paint).

You could easily paint those though with good results. Get a good 4" roller and Good brush. Roll on and back brush WITH GOOD PAINT. They will look great. Of course, it depends on the wall color. I used color "No. 52 white".

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This was a "custom" linen closet... the door panels had recessed grooves. I filled the grooves not covered by the trim I added to match the other door trims.
Buy good paint...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Remove and replace. I did 4” nominal MDF with a parting bead and one panel shaker doors.

ETA: Gold hardware is OUT.
View Quote

It is called brass.
And it remains popular .
The other 'color' is often nickel.
Though bronze and other are also available.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can't imagine why you would rip that out and replace.
Just paint it.  Paint the doors too if you like.
That's why God invented paint.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is called brass.
And it remains popular .
View Quote

You’re telling me it’s so shitty they couldn’t get the color of brass right?

We leave it in the rental houses, it doesn’t matter there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
In my basement I just took the doors down and sanded them with a random orbit sander lightly, then painted twice. I pulled off the trim and sanded as well with my sander, some I replaced with new stuff that was already primed if it broke or was already damaged. Replaced hinges and knob with nickel. Painted the frames as well but didnt remove those.

Looks pretty good.

Upstairs I got the same type of doors but I will probably just replace those with better looking panel doors.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
How much carpet is in the house? It would suck to prep and paint the baseboards if most of the house is carpeted.
If that's the case, I would pull the base and replace with base that is pre-sprayed in enamel.  Caulk, fill the nail holes, touch up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How much carpet is in the house? It would suck to prep and paint the baseboards if most of the house is carpeted.
If that's the case, I would pull the base and replace with base that is pre-sprayed in enamel.  Caulk, fill the nail holes, touch up.
View Quote
When I did my doors, I pulled up existing base board in bedrooms, numbered on wall and board, and pulled nails. Sanded and hit with two coats of same trim color. Base board is about as easy as it gets for painting.
Install with nail gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Painting trim?
Hit it with some deglosser or a light scrub with 220 sandpaper to lightly rough the surface.
Caulk and fill cracks and holes with some DAP ALEX and putty.

Paint a primer coat. Dont skimp the primer job. Nice and even brush strokes. Id probably add some FloTrol to the primer to help flatten out brush strokes.
May take a couple coats of primer. Lightly sand with 220. Enough to even the surface, not remove primer.

Use a semi gloss paint. If you want to stay white, use an acrylic fortified enamel (water based).
If you want it done cheaper, get a regular oil based semi gloss enamel, but it yellows over time.
Acrylic enamel (while newerish) is more expensive than the oil type, but cost outcome is about the same as you need mineral spirits/lacquer thinner/a paint thinner for cleanup where as the Acrylic enamel all you need is water.

A quality brush and a steady hand along with some great prep will make it look pretty.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is called brass.
And it remains popular .

Not at all.
All but the most expensive brass is usually brass plated steel tough.
Solid brass hardware is a decent price step up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top