Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2020 12:20:11 AM EDT
Another thread regarding the property we’re buying. Home has septic. Any reason I shouldn’t cut a 4” hole and install a cap into the concrete septic tank cover to be able to run a black water RV septic hose from the RV pad?  I’m going to install a 30amp 120v receptacle so when my parents or family visit they can plug in. There’s already a hose bib on the side of the house. All that leaves is a way to dump grey and black water. The concrete caps do not have a clean out pipe, so I’d have to cut and install one. Then just add something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BL0OSB4/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you not have a 4” clean out somewhere between the house and tank?  I do, I remove the clean out cap and Insert the 4” hose from the RV trailer and dump the black water tank first, then the grey water tank. Same as flushing a stool in the house.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you not have a 4” clean out somewhere between the house and tank?  I do, I remove the clean out cap and Insert the 4” hose from the RV trailer and dump the black water tank first, then the grey water tank. Same as flushing a stool in the house.
View Quote

None. Will need to modify one of the concrete tank caps.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t know how you penetrate the cap or the tank without damaging its structural integrity.

Can’t you just pull the lid as needed for a dump?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Some dump places were very specific about using organic chems in your black water tank.  

I don't know what chems are on the market now, but older ones could fuck up a septic tank.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some dump places were very specific about using organic chems in your black water tank.  

I don't know what chems are on the market now, but older ones could fuck up a septic tank.
View Quote

There are two varieties being sold - The traditional formaldehyde-based stuff, and the "environmentally-friendly" stuff.

The formaldehyde stuff works great for controlling odors. The other stuff - not so much.

Unfortunately, dumping formaldehyde in a septic system is not good.

Best strategy is restrict use of the formaldehyde stuff to situations where you can dump it in a sewer system that's capable of handling it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a clean out on the inlet side of the tank and use that for dumping. I think it would be easier and better to dig down to the inlet pipe and splice in a Y and a clean out pipe to use for dumping vs a hole in the inlet lid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a clean out on the inlet side of the tank and use that for dumping. I think it would be easier and better to dig down to the inlet pipe and splice in a Y and a clean out pipe to use for dumping vs a hole in the inlet lid.
View Quote

This is the correct answer  
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same setup.  This would be best.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't speak to the septic side of things, but I'd go ahead and wire in a 50amp receptacle.  Might as well have enough juice in case you (or your folks) get a fifth wheel.  It shouldn't be much more and you can dogbone down from a 50 to a 30 if needed.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Used to do this at the old house but it was on sewer. New house, never did, but depending on the size of the black tank and your septic tank, you don't want to add a big percentage of it at a time because it can overrun the drain field. A dosed approach would be better since septic is designed around X flow in, Y flow out and dumping 50+ gallons in at one time depending on the size of your tank would not be good.

Gray water can get dumped in the yard. No need for it to go in septic IMO.

Edit: just texted a friend of mine who has a toterhome. 100gal black, 200gal gray. If more than 1/2 full on black, he splits it into 1/4s, if less he does it in 1/3 and usually waits about an hour between. Gray water goes in the yard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gray water can get dumped in the yard. No need for it to go in septic IMO.
View Quote

Ideally, you use the gray water to flush out the sewer hose, immediately after you'd dumped the black water.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I do, the only thing is don't use any chemicals in your RV toilet that would be bad for the septic tank, only use natural orange or something else bio compatible, no chlorine or formaldehyde or anything that would kill the good bacteria.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the tips guys.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t know how you penetrate the cap or the tank without damaging its structural integrity.

View Quote

Carbide tipped concrete boring cutter. Septic guys cut tanks and tops all the time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
There are two sides to every septic tank. Be sure that you dump in the side for the solids. If you dump in the wrong side, the solids will find their way into your leach lines and possibly clog the leach lines.

That is why everyone is telling you to put a T or Y into your main 4" pipe going to the tank.

Other than that, no reason you can not dump in your septic, I dump my RV in my septic, I put a dump station in my driveway when I built my house.

Formaldehyde may be illegal in your are depending on your water table depth. If it is not illegal, the other issue is that it kills the good bacteria in the septic which means you will have to pump your tank more frequently. A properly sized tank with enough bacteria never needs to be pumped.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

They make hole saws for concrete.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you are not going to overfill the tank.

It takes some time for input to be processed by the tank bacteria
and adding a large amount of fluid can flood the leach field with undigested waste.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ideally, you use the gray water to flush out the sewer hose, immediately after you'd dumped the black water.
View Quote

This.

I like to use the gray water to "wet" the drain hose, then close it, drain the black tank, then drain the gray tank completely to wash out the hose.

Still gross, but mostly just because you know what's going on. Lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't dump it in the lid. There is a floating scum layer on top.  If you dump on top of it, it will send the scum layer into your drain field.  The normal entrance has a T and enters above the liquid level. The bottom of the T has a pipe to the middle of the tank. Entering waste is routed into the middle of the tank so it doesn't disturb the scum or sludge.
I cut my sewer line and added a T.  You can get rubber waste Ts and secure it with stainless clamps. No waiting for glue to dry. I've been using it a decade now.  Great addition, no worrying about finding a dump site on the way home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top