Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 4:22:58 PM EDT
So I have a spigot that randomly decides to lock (completely dry), sometimes for day; other times it works fine.  It has the standard integral vacuum breaker, which I have disassembled and it is fine.  The valve also seems to function without issue.  So I'm stumped and haven't figured out what if anything has changed when it decides to function properly again.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the frostproof ones have a backflow preventer check valve at the interior end of the valve.  Maybe that's wadded up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  This has the built in atmospheric vacuum breaker on top.  I unscrewed the top and repacked the guts, but the water wasn't making it to the breaker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Post the manufacturer and model number.  The frostproof ones can generally be rebuilt from the outside, but they can be a little complex.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a Merril 1019A, it is NSSF ASSE stamped.
It's in good condition.  Is it possible to have a temporary lock come and go and be in the copper service line?  No other weird water issues in the house.  {well, jet pump, 35-50 pressure cycle).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I would pull the shaft behind the handle to take a look at the guts. See if the screw has backed off too.  Have some plumbing grease on hand to put on the end of the shaft and washer.

Hopefully you have a shut off valve behind the hydrant.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would pull the shaft behind the handle to take a look at the guts. See if the screw has backed off too.  Have some plumbing grease on hand to put on the end of the shaft and washer.

Hopefully you have a shut off valve behind the hydrant.
View Quote

Unfortunately no shut off, but killing the pump isn't a problem.  I think you are right, I didn't realize there was an internal check valve in the valve stem.  The interrupted service acts like a check valve that is prone to hanging up.  Will investigate.....thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Got it!  Thanks everyone!

It was a hung check valve in the valve stem.  When I would pull the guts the check valve was not coming out (both when pressurized or not)  I could barely see down the valve stem, but decided to jingle a long screw driver and eventually the the check valve popped out.  I repacked and A OK for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top