Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 12:26:01 PM EDT
I had the entire HVAC system replaced at my house by a local contractor. The electrical inspection failed for a few reasons:

1. The 30A 2-pole breaker in it's own subpanel was labeled Service Disconnect, but not A/C Service Disconnect. OK, easy fix.
2. The circuit breaker panel was replaced and the furnace circuit breaker was not labeled. OK, easy fix. I had forgotten to get around to that.
3. Because the furnace circuit breaker wasn't labeled, the inspector couldn't verify that it was a 15A breaker. OK, that's fixed with the label.
4. The inspector said that NM-B cable was used in a wet location outside.

I'm struggling with #4 (I could just call the contractor, but I'd rather verify the problem than have them come out and waste time if there isn't a problem). I've traced the wires (well, I already knew where they were, but mostly read the insulation labeling) and have a separate meter box (interruptible electrical service) outside that feeds an aluminum 6 AWG XHHW-2 UV-rated cable that runs inside to a subpanel with a single 30A 2-pole breaker. More 6 AWG XHHW-2 UV-rated cable runs from the subpanel to a fuse box out next to the A/C compressor unit. The fuse box is connected to the A/C compressor with LFNC-B conduit and 3 individual wires inside, a black, red, and bare ground. I understand that the XHHW-2 isn't the problem as that's wet-rated and UV-rated. I also understand the LFNC-B is fine since it's not exposed to physical damage (protected behind the A/C), but it's outdoors and even though it's a liquid tight conduit, the inside is still considered a wet application which NM-B is not allowed for.

My problem is that the 3 wires inside the conduit only have maybe 3 inches exposed in the fuse box, and another 3 inches exposed in the A/C compressor's electrical panel. However, I can't see a single marking on either of the insulated wires to see what they are. They do not have a jacket like NM-B, and are separate wires. The black looks like it has clear shrink tubing along it's length and the white is taped red to indicate the second hot leg of the 240V circuit. Is there any way to tell what this wire is without pulling it out of the conduit?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The UF type romex will be inside a molded outer covering, the NM will have a loose outer covering, with a paper wrapping the conductors.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The UF type romex will be inside a molded outer covering, the NM will have a loose outer covering, with a paper wrapping the conductors.
View Quote

I knew that. It's not a cable though. It's 3 individual conductors. There is no outer insulation.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
So they are possibly THHN/THWN, the only way to know for sure is pull them out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I knew that. It's not a cable though. It's 3 individual conductors. There is no outer insulation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a violation as described.
The cable jacket is required to be 1/4 inch inside the connector into the box.

If the conductors are in conduit from a stripped cable they are often unmarked and not suitable for use this way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If the conductors are in conduit from a stripped cable they are often unmarked and not suitable for use this way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it not acceptable to use THWN? Then again, I would assume it's jacket would be marked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like it is romex with the jacket stripped off, meaning the conductors are not marked, which is a no go.  Or it is romex that has the outer sheath stripped back until it is not visible, which is a no go.  Or it's just romex, which is a no go in a wet location.  If it was actually individual conductors with ground the ground wire would be insulated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It sounds like it is romex with the jacket stripped off, meaning the conductors are not marked, which is a no go.  Or it is romex that has the outer sheath stripped back until it is not visible, which is a no go.  Or it's just romex, which is a no go in a wet location.  If it was actually individual conductors with ground the ground wire would be insulated.
View Quote

This is what has me so perplexed. The black conductor appears to have the black PVC insulation with a clear outer jacket like THWN would. However, the ground conductor is bare copper, and the second leg of the 240V is a white conductor with red electrical tape. The ground and second hot look like NM-B stripped of it's outer sheath. I think I'll just go to Home Depot and buy three lengths of THWN (which apparently HD stocks as THHN/THWN dual rated wire) in appropriate colors and rewire. It's only a few feet anyways.

It's a 2-pole 30A breaker, so based on ampacity tables, it looks like 10 AWG is the bare minimum and 8 AWG can handle slightly higher amps. Based on conduit fill charts, it appears the 1/2" LFNC conduit can hold three 8 AWG THHN/THWN conductors. I think I'll just rewire with three 8 AWG THWN conductors.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is what has me so perplexed. The black conductor appears to have the black PVC insulation with a clear outer jacket like THWN would. However, the ground conductor is bare copper, and the second leg of the 240V is a white conductor with red electrical tape. The ground and second hot look like NM-B stripped of it's outer sheath. I think I'll just go to Home Depot and buy three lengths of THWN (which apparently HD stocks as THHN/THWN dual rated wire) in appropriate colors and rewire. It's only a few feet anyways.

It's a 2-pole 30A breaker, so based on ampacity tables, it looks like 10 AWG is the bare minimum and 8 AWG can handle slightly higher amps. Based on conduit fill charts, it appears the 1/2" LFNC conduit can hold three 8 AWG THHN/THWN conductors. I think I'll just rewire with three 8 AWG THWN conductors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI... The grounding conductor   needs to be ... bare/stripped or solid (continuous) green in color if its awg is smaller then #4, marking tape if used is a violation of NEC 250.119. My Home Depots only sell #8 green by the roll plus you already have an adequate grounding conductor inplace

ETA.... for the thread readers, NEC 200.6 covers grounded (neutral) conductor identification requirements
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this in emt or pvc conduit?  You can not just run THHN exposed
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is it not acceptable to use THWN? Then again, I would assume it's jacket would be marked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THWN is marked.

The insulation in NM is NOT marked on the individual conductors.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's in 1/2" LFNC conduit. Currently has 3 conductors which I can't see markings on as they are exposed 3" or less on both ends of the conduit before they enter their final screw terminals. There is no outer sheath, but rather 3 individual conductors.

There is a black conductor which appears to have the colored and clear double layer insulation like THHN/THWN does. There's a white conductor wrapped in red electrical tape. And there's a bare solid copper ground conductor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You didn't read the OPs original post did you. Since he said quote"The fuse box is connected to the A/C compressor with LFNC-B conduit"
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, I've looked at it again. It's three 10 AWG solid conductors. The two hots appear to have the colored PVC insulation with the outer clear insulation like THWN would, but I can't find markings. So I'm guessing that's the problem. The ground is bare 10 AWG solid copper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK, I've looked at it again. It's three 10 AWG solid conductors. The two hots appear to have the colored PVC insulation with the outer clear insulation like THWN would, but I can't find markings. So I'm guessing that's the problem. The ground is bare 10 AWG solid copper.
View Quote

Probably, all wire must be labeled.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You didn't read the OPs original post did you. Since he said quote"The fuse box is connected to the A/C compressor with LFNC-B conduit"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did but apparently missed that part, thanks for pointing it out
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude probably just used stripped NM

If you pull new THHN make sure to get it in the correct colors, reidentifying is a no-go on I think #6 and smaller.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you pull new THHN make sure to get it in the correct colors, reidentifying is a no-go on I think #6 and smaller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought stranded copper 10 AWG THHN/THWN dual-rated wire tonight in black and red. I'm going to leave the solid 10 AWG bare copper ground conductor as it is. I'll pull it tomorrow.

What is strange to me is that I've never seen NM with this type of conductor in it. It has the dual layer insulation like THHN, and I've never seen that in an NM cable. Oh well, I have the proper wire now and I'll fix it. Inspector comes back on the 16th.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can mark any gauge from neutral (grounded) to hot.

Marking grounding in smaller is not allowed.

Marking grounded gets touchy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top