Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:03:19 PM EDT
The house I moved into had the patio converted into a sun room, the roof was nearly flat with less than 3/16" per foot of pitch.  The roof was a torch down roll comp with the huge masonry fireplace right at the transisition.  Time, moisture and gravity killed the pitch, then an additional layer of torch down was improperly applied at a later date.  What a mess.

During the repair to a pitch suitable for standing seam metal roof, we had a downpour.  All the drywall in the sun room was toast, along with insulation. Actually, sogged and sagging.  That was quite the mess, three trailers full of crap for the dump. We waited until the new roof was proven before the rest of the repair.  

First, the door was removed and relocated to a central location.  A commercial French door 7'-11" tall was installed. The room was rewired for switch access and half dozen cans installed for recessed lighting.  Then insulation and drywall.  Fun stuff on the ceilings.  But a drywall jack made that easier, if not a marriage test.  My new impact driver with the drywall bit worked like a champ.  One charge for 14 sheets.  Ryobi.

Now it is tape and floating.  Fortunately, I have a mini scaffold which makes working on these 10' ceilings easier.  Half done there, walls will take no time.  Two windows to corner bead too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a lot of work that will be absolutely worth it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Been there done that, I feel for you but it will be better than ever when done.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
shoulda called structall

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a pain in the ass, but it'll be great when it's done knowing that you did it correctly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]

I have done a lot of DIY stuff that I absolutely hated doing, but amazingly I forget about how much of a pain in the ass it was when I am enjoying it later...

Nothing like sitting down with an adult beverage and admiring something you did, that 95% of the population doesn't have the balls to tackle.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Taping and floating the ceiling is the worst.  Well, pinching a nerve in my neck on drywall was also bad, that took me out for a month on hydrocodone and cyclobenzaprine.  All better now after epidural steroid in the affected joint.

Still have the broad knifing on the final coat, then corners taping.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Better you than me. MIKEY won't do drywall or paint.

Good on you for doing it yourself though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much how all my projects go.  

Put a new roof on the house this summer, big thunderstorm right after we got the old decking ripped off.  Had tarps over everything, but 60-mph winds popped the ropes like rubber bands.  Whole family on the roof trying to re-secure tarps, sitting on the corners in ferocious winds, pouring rain, and enough lightning that we didn't need any other light to see by.  Water pouring in the house, youngest inside running around with buckets and bowls trying catch some of it.

Looking back, I probably should have let it go.  The risks we took that night make me shudder to think about it in hindsight.  Hanging on to a 20'x30' tarp in high wind, twelve feet in the air with no real footing to speak of was an... adventure.

A night to remember.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Your sunroom sounds an awful lot like the one I had in my last house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top