Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 10:32:10 PM EDT
Woke this evening to lock up the chickens and hear water flowing out by the well shed. The overflow pipe on my holding tank was shooting out water at full blast. I turned the breaker powering the pump off, which eventually stopped the overflow. I assume there is a float or something similar that triggers the pump to fill the holding tank. However, my holding tank is one of those tall concrete ring type cisterns. Like this...

Am I going to need to climb up top? Am I missing something else that would control the well pump? This is my first house with a well, so I am a little behind the learning curve.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont understand your well set up, we dont have holding tanks here in VA..

BUT something triggers the well to run and fill up the holding tank.. I would assume that is is some sort of float that as you indicated..

So it appears you are at least going to have to look in and see what you can see.. THEN you get to get wet and fix it  

good luck

b
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Got lucky. Once the sun came up, I grabbed the ladder and went to see what I was facing. Turns out there is a float attached to a rod with a few collars on it (min/max). The rod was slightly bent and was hung up on the lever. One tap and the float popped to the surface, shutting the pump off. Bent the rod back into shape, and all appears good. Might need to put some grease on it to keep it sliding freely.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got lucky. Once the sun came up, I grabbed the ladder and went to see what I was facing. Turns out there is a float attached to a rod with a few collars on it (min/max). The rod was slightly bent and was hung up on the lever. One tap and the float popped to the surface, shutting the pump off. Bent the rod back into shape, and all appears good. Might need to put some grease on it to keep it sliding freely.
View Quote

how does a rod in a closed holding tank get bent...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea. I suspect the float doesn't always go straight up, and over time deformed the rod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top