Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 8:20:10 AM EDT
Forget it. Ask for advice, get criticism.
My poor mangina got sand in it.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not a professional framer. The nicest thing that I can say about that photo is that you need to familiarize yourself with some span tables.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont forget about the joist hangers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
16' of span is too much for even a doubled 2x6. And you need to clarify whether this is for only storage or people to use. Sounds like you need to add another post.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You need a structural design, something you clearly do not have.

What will support your posts from below (what's under them, what will they be resting on)?  

How will you support the top of your posts?

Why 2X6?  Long spans typically need deeper sections than that.

Is this living space or for storage?  It looks like a storage loft.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not a professional framer. The nicest thing that I can say about that photo is that you need to familiarize yourself with some span tables.

View Quote

Yup!  And that's a heck of a space to put your mother-in-law in if that's your intent...

I am curious about something else, did you remove any collar ties?  If you're unfamiliar, a collar tie is that horizontal board that's attached to the rafters about 30 inches below the ridge. Also, are you actually in LA and without any snow load?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup!  And that's a heck of a space to put your mother-in-law in if that's your intent...

I am curious about something else, did you remove any collar ties?  If you're unfamiliar, a collar tie is that horizontal board that's attached to the rafters about 30 inches below the ridge. Also, are you actually in LA and without any snow load?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of a collar tie! Do tell....
There ain't a flake of snow can collect on my roof, it's steep! This is the end of a two story house. First house I built.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You need a structural design, something you clearly do not have.

What will support your posts from below (what's under them, what will they be resting on)?  

How will you support the top of your posts?

Why 2X6?  Long spans typically need deeper sections than that.

Is this living space or for storage?  It looks like a storage loft.
View Quote

I will support the loft with 4x6's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dont forget about the joist hangers.
View Quote

That's the first thing, among many, that I saw.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Just off the top of my head, a 2x6 when used as a joist with 16" on center installation is only good for about an 11 or 12 foot span. So to suggest using one as a beam, it would have to be one short ass span.

Here is a decent span calculator I have used: http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/reversecalc/reversecalc.asp
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forget it. Ask for advice, get criticism.
My poor mangina got sand in it.....
View Quote

We are trying to help. In particular, we are trying to prevent your second floor from collapsing when any kind of load is put on it.

You need to figure out your loading and then consult a span table to find out what size you need to span however long.

I recently nailed and glued 4 2x12's to make a beam to span 11 feet. It is support by 8"x6" posts at each end. And, that was really at the limits.

You will probably need to at least use a gluelam or LVL beam for the header supporting the joists.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Neverminding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top