Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2012 11:05:36 AM EDT
So I am a working electrician....I am showing my helper how to bend some 1/2 so he can go do something and leave me alone , Got his tying in switch legs, and outlet runs....
He can bend 90's/offsets and KINDA bend a 4 point. Here is he kicker...I can't explain the formula to bending a Shepard's hook

I always bend a 90, the come back and bend an offset on it. Sometimes I have to cut it, other times  bend/tweak it.....but he wants to know "Why"
to everything...I can't explain it   IS there a actual Formula?  Say you need a 10" for a stub coming out of a brick wall.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bend a 90 then subtract your stub up from the size of your offset
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Ya lost me, Or my ADD is in high gear....so math...you have a 8 " stub coming out of brick wall, Now...I USED to over bend the 90 {say, 12 " 90} then slide bender back and bend back the 90 until it works...

I finally got into the habit of making a 90 and offsetting..so...with 8",  bend on 30 deg. so mark it at 16"  ?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
graybar sells them prebent

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pfff...that ain't no fun    Like using a pre-fabbed 90  
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which are nice to have when dealing with RMC...

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
As an electrician with 18 years experience, I have no patience for an apprentice with no mechanical aptitude. Tell him don't ask me why just do what I tell you. He has five years to figure out the why on his own. As for the Shepard's hook formula, subtract the diameter of the pipe from the length of the ninety and bend an offset that big. So if you bend an eight in stub ninety in half inch emt you will need to bend a 7-1/2 inch offset. This is assuming you want the end of you ninety and the bottom of your raceway to be on the same plain.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea but bending it looks a hell of a lot better.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As an electrician with 18 years experience, I have no patience for an apprentice with no mechanical aptitude. Tell him don't ask me why just do what I tell you. He has five years to figure out the why on his own. As for the Shepard's hook formula, subtract the diameter of the pipe from the length of the ninety and bend an offset that big. So if you bend an eight in stub ninety in half inch emt you will need to bend a 7-1/2 inch offset. This is assuming you want the end of you ninety and the bottom of your raceway to be on the same plain.

Thanks you.....I do tell him to just do what I ask, but also try to explain why we do it so he will understand and not learn anything too...ya know?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea but bending it looks a hell of a lot better.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/joecbr/ar15/IMG_20120803_100137.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/joecbr/ar15/IMG_20120803_100150.jpg

That's some damn fine pipe work. I am bit rusty these days on the pipework. I am back in the field for the first time in 8 years.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I suck at anything under 4"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top