Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2010 8:35:40 PM EDT
I have a relatively new dishwasher which has begun misbehaving.  The dishes come out clean but are coated in what looks like a thin layer of hard water deposits - a whitish, hard fim.

CLR takes the film off the glasses and coffee pot, even the pots and pans, but why is this getting on them in the first place?  Is something wrong ?  How do we get rid of the film making problem?
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a relatively new dishwasher which has begun misbehaving.  The dishes come out clean but are coated in what looks like a thin layer of hard water deposits - a whitish, hard fim.

CLR takes the film off the glasses and coffee pot, even the pots and pans, but why is this getting on them in the first place?  Is something wrong ?  How do we get rid of the film making problem?

You are the proud user of "green" no phosphate detergent.

You need a rinse aid and/or a teaspoon of trisodium phosphate. [kidding!]
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Rinse aid (Jet Dry) - FTMFW!
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
It isn't a Jet Dry issue.  We have run multiple loads without Jet Dry and with Jet Dry, there was no diifference.

We are using the same dishwasher detergent we always have.  

It just seemed all of a sudden the dishes started coming out coated with this film.

TSP???  I have TSP out in the garage.  Hmmm,... maybe I should try that.  

I've been thinking about trying Lemishine.  I learned about it on the Reloading Forum here on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank your government. You may be buying the same brand of detergent, but the detergent has been changed by law.  Here's a typical description:

http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/article_f340547a-abd4-11df-abc2-001cc4c002e0.html

You can Google "dishwasher detergent changes" and find complaints from all over the country.

It's all part of the "change you can believe in".
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Has your water softener failed?  Before I installed ours, the hard water created the same issue.

Also, now that we have a softener we use a 50-50 mix of Borax and baking soda in our dishwasher.  We don't get film or spotting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
We don't have a water softener, so that can't be the problem.

I'll go read the link.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was a change in the detergent's formulation.  The change was very swift and dramatic.  That something changed is very likely the cause.  

I was wondering if there was a food trap, food grinder some other feature that had become clogged.

I was wondering if the Jet Dry dispenser was broken and putting out too much goop which was getting on the dishes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Has your water softener failed?  Before I installed ours, the hard water created the same issue.

Also, now that we have a softener we use a 50-50 mix of Borax and baking soda in our dishwasher.  We don't get film or spotting.

my guess, as well

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We stopped using any type of dish washer soap just use dish washer on santi clean. Found if we use dish washer soap white deposit built up in dish washer even built up about 1/2" white deposit in sink drain line. After I snaked drain line took a piece of the clog and dropped in acid had no effect on it so it isn't some type of calclum.  Since we stopped using dish washing  soap we no longer have white shit building up in dish washer and actually dishwasher is cleaner in side. I know I have hard water but screw it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
A dishwasher at my old house started spotting badly.  I had a huge discount coupon from a warranty frige compressor issue, so I used it on a new dishwasher.  When I removed the old one, I found that a filter screen prior to the inlet water valve was full of sediment.  There was nothing wrong with the dishwasher.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Add a cup of vinegar to your wash.  It will clean up those filmed up dishes and clean up your dishwasher.  Some people have to do this every wash, but you might be able to get away with doing it once a week or month.  Just have to try.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
We have really hard water.  I use the cheap Costco Kirkland GEL dishwasher soap.  I haven't had any deposits.

Is your water hot enough?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top