Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:03:45 AM EDT
I just bought a new home and I want to make sure they are going to fix it right and not the short cut way.  I have a bay window in the kitchen, and around both windows, it is leaking from somewhere in the top, and running down under the paint.  I am assuming its the seal around the windows that is leaking.  They sent a stucco guy out last month and he put more stucco around the windows to make sure it was sealed that way.  But now its still leaking.  I'm worried that whatever behind the sheetrock––assuming some insulation is wet and I will have a possibility for mold growth.  Should they go in and take a look at the insulation and replace as needed?  Or just fix the window seal, and wet sheetrock.  Below are a few pics of it wet.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna need an outside picture to hopefully figure out the problem

Put a fan blowing against the wall on the inside to move as much air across the wet area as possible

Unless is rains for a week straight you should be ok regarding mold
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
A water damage company can check the area and see how much is wet with a moisture meter and then put a wall dryer in to dry it out. All they do is pop the baseboard and drill 1/4 inch holes just above the sill plate and inject air until it reads dry.

It usually is pretty simple depending on type of insulation and vapor barrier etc. No need to pull drywall unless the wall dryer won't eliminate it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
By saying that you bought a new home is it a newly built home, or new to you?

If it is a newly built I would be all over the builder to tear into it and make it right.

It looks like even the top of the window frame is wet, along with the side. That seems to me you are looking at a roofing issue as rain would have to be horizontal to hit that high up on the wall under the eave. Water will do funky things in a leak and depending on air movement etc. If you can get into that area of the attic when raining and the leak is present I would do some inspection myself also, take pictures, and hammer the builder or utilize the home warranty if there was one when you bought it.

Don't mess around with roof leaks, it wont heal itself, and you will be looking at a lot of damage down the road.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea its a brand new house.  Only about a month old.  I've been on the builders ass about it.  I just wana make sure that they fix it right and not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
from your 3rd picture, if your house looks like the other house on the outside of your window, I would also say you have a leaking roof issue.  That is way too much water to be pushing thru a seal,  I would take a look in your attic and see if it is wet.  I would go outside and check your drip edge and see if the plywood reaches the end of your trusses too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yea its a brand new house.  Only about a month old.  I've been on the builders ass about it.  I just wana make sure that they fix it right and not cheap.

I would call them every day until they get it fixed correctly... no mercy...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
No drip cap, no flashing tape around nailing flange, no counter flashing.  Havent ran into a home in a long time that the windows were installed correctly.  I would be on the builder asap, make him tear it all out and check the other windows also, if that was not installed correct theres gonna be more.  The painters cut looks like shit also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had the same results to an older problem.  I've been looking a "how to" info on windows because my 150 yr old house has some window issues.  I've stopped them for now, but am taking steps to fix it right.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Take the window out and caulk it in properly or it will always leak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top