Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:28:07 PM EDT
Okay, I'm could google this but the how to articles never tell you what to expect in the way of problems. The writers usually assume you know your behind from a hole in the ground, which is a dangerous assumption when writing a how-to article, wouldn't you agree? Assume you're schooling an alien who has never seen a wrench before. Seriously.

For my bathroom, I'm having a new window, flooring, and a vent fan installed by people who presumably know what they're doing. Nevertheless there are a couple things I need to keep in mind when scheduling and preparing the work areas to help them do their jobs.

1. I need to remove the toilet for the floor guys and then reinstall it when they're done. I hear this is not complicated. We had a plumber do it the last time.

2. I want to hire someone to come in and replace the surround on my bathtub. I reattached the surround in areas that were coming off with tub surround adhesive, but when I went to apply the caulking bead around the whole surround, the results were, well, pretty damn bad. Like I invited a kindergartner in there to fingerpaint. Jeebus it looks horrible. I just don't trust myself to try doing it again without throwing a monumental hissy fit when I do it wrong again. Not to mention the surround itself looks wretched.

Who knows how to do tub surrounds? Where would you find such a critter, and how would you know you could trust his work? I got taken the last time and it wasn't even the lowest bidder, the SOB. It's my fault for not making him fix his mistakes, but I'd just as soon not have to deal with that again.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Assuming your shut off valve holds, turn it off. Flush the toilet to get rid of the water in the tank. Disconnect the supply line. Disconnect the toilet from the floor flange(two brass or stainless nuts). Lift toilet from flange. Remember to stuff rags or something in hole to keep window or tile guy from dropping tools or debris in there. Duck walk with toilet through several rooms, sloshing water all over.
Reassembly is the opposite with a new flange gasket.

2. Never hired anybody to do a tub surround. I did my own. I assume a carpenter could do it.  Ask your tile guy?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1. Assuming your shut off valve holds, turn it off. Flush the toilet to get rid of the water in the tank. Disconnect the supply line. Disconnect the toilet from the floor flange(two brass or stainless nuts). Lift toilet from flange. Remember to stuff rags or something in hole to keep window or tile guy from dropping tools or debris in there. Duck walk with toilet through several rooms, sloshing water all over.

2. Never hired anybody to do a tub surround. I did my own. I assume a carpenter could do it.  Ask your tile guy?

Hey thanks, you simplified that nicely. I vaguely remember the duck walk only this time it'll be me. Quack.
I could probably do the surround as well, but, time is kind of important and there'll be plumbing hardware switchouts. I don't suppose plumbers mess with surrounds at all, so a tile guy would be a good bet. Gracias.

And updatingfrom my last diy question: I decided to not do my own windows replacements because most of the replies recommended having an expert helper. I'm hiring a pro for it but I plan to watch/help him if he doesn't mind so I can learn how to do it too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Post pics. Look for my adventure in tiling my shower. My wife is helping...

She is gonna do the floor "all by herself".
"Fine by me" !
"Well, FINE" !!!...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]
When reattaching toilet to floor, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN NUTS!  I found out the hard way you can stress the PVC flange and cause it to crack creating a brown stain on the ceiling above your bed (assuming you are working on the upstairs toilet as I was)  Thus, you have to cut a big ass hole in your bedroom ceiling, replace about 2 ft. of 3" PVC and a new flange. Oh, and strip the popcorn off the rest of the ceiling in the Master bedroom because your wife now wants a smooth ceiling to match the Master bath remodel I did 3 years ago.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I usually just picked it up and put it in the bathtub (on an old fucked-up towel of course).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top