Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 3:41:34 PM EDT
Look around at your local Blockbusters... a lot of them are going out of business so they are selling their movies, games and fixtures for relatively decent prices.

Thought I'd pass it along.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it's more accurate to say the corporation is shutting down many of its retail locations.  That's probably what you meant to say. Has anyone else noticed that they have expanded their branded dvd rental kiosks? They are changing the way they do business (trying not to go out of business)?

Anyway you're right about getting rid of bunches of inventory. My local store is also having massive sales.  I haven't bought anything because I cannot stand to accumulate "stuff."  Just renting is fine with me, even though I end up renting some of the same movies about once a year. It still makes more sense for me though - if I bought, the format would go out of date.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
They are closing one near me, but it is literally across the street from another one. If I had the money I would buy a few titles.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe it's more accurate to say the corporation is shutting down many of its retail locations.  That's probably what you meant to say. Has anyone else noticed that they have expanded their branded dvd rental kiosks? They are changing the way they do business (trying not to go out of business)?

Anyway you're right about getting rid of bunches of inventory. My local store is also having massive sales.  I haven't bought anything because I cannot stand to accumulate "stuff."  Just renting is fine with me, even though I end up renting some of the same movies about once a year. It still makes more sense for me though - if I bought, the format would go out of date.

I said what I meant to say... There was no real clarification needed. Some retail stores are having clearance sales. I posted this so people who might not have realized they were holding their sales now could take advantage of them.

Thanks for the bump though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
blockbuster is going out of business because of NETFLIX right..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
blockbuster is going out of business because of NETFLIX right..

Their going out of business, because the still think "Weekend at Bernies" is a New Release...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Very true
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Blockbuster has two kinds of stores, corporate and franchise.  They have as much in common as McDonalds and Ruths Chris who both serve warmed up beef.

The best job of my life was managing a corp store during the dawn of DVD/PS2.  The worst job of my life was when I transfered to a franchise store for a big bump in pay.

The idea of paying 10+ employees and renting 4k+ square foot of retail space to rent videos in the age of Netflix/Redbox is about as smart as cleaning and selling fresh fish at a kiosk in your local mall.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
So netflix and red box are to blame for the eventual selling out of BBV
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So netflix and red box are to blame for the eventual selling out of BBV

I suppose you could say so, redbox/netflix have a more streamlined business model and a brick and mortar store won't be able to survive for long as redbox expands.

Its a lot like when BBV put the majority of mom and pop video stores out of business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top