Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 5:39:13 AM EDT
I'm going mildly spoil the movie Drag Me To Hell, but I'm not going to give away anything major.

The only likable character is the "Hi, I'm a Mac" guy. He's actually a decent actor (though it'd be nice to see what kind of range he has), and his character was pretty sympathetic.

The main character is just stupid. And selfish. But mainly stupid.

The psychic guy would have been likable, except he was an extortionist. "Oh, you're going to get dragged to hell by a demon tomorrow? Gimme ten grand and I'll maybe give you a solution."

Everyone else was just a cookie cutter character or an asshole.

And Baba Yaga was a disgusting bitch.

The movie had a number of moments that were simply absurd. Like the "I conveniently have an ANVIL hanging from the ceiling of my shed" scene. Congratulations, evil gypsy spirits can be temporarily defeated by the same tactics you use against Wile E. Coyote! It was also predictable to the very end.

This actually could have been a seriously creepy, disturbing film, but it was just painful to watch. It's definite MST3K fodder. The ending of the film, which I won't spoil, wasn't dramatic like it was intended to be; instead, it had the entire audience laughing at the film. That's generally not the reaction a horror movie wants.

In summar: It sucked, but it had the potential not to.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm going mildly spoil the movie Drag Me To Hell, but I'm not going to give away anything major.

The only likable character is the "Hi, I'm a Mac" guy. He's actually a decent actor (though it'd be nice to see what kind of range he has), and his character was pretty sympathetic.

The psychic guy would have been likable, except he was an extortionist. "Oh, you're going to get dragged to hell by a demon tomorrow? Gimme ten grand and I'll maybe give you a solution."

The movie had a number of moments that were simply absurd. Like the "I conveniently have an ANVIL hanging from the ceiling of my shed" scene. Congratulations, evil gypsy spirits can be temporarily defeated by the same tactics you use against Wile E. Coyote! It was also predictable to the very end.

This actually could have been a seriously creepy, disturbing film, but it was just painful to watch. It's definite MST3K fodder. The ending of the film, which I won't spoil, wasn't dramatic like it was intended to be; instead, it had the entire audience laughing at the film. That's generally not the reaction a horror movie wants.

I thought he was good in "Live Free or Die Harder".

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought he was good in "Live Free or Die Harder".

Never saw it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
As I understand, it was intended to be funny.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It was never intended to be taken seriously. If you knew Sam Ramis' history you would understand the movie much, MUCH more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was never intended to be taken seriously. If you knew Sam Ramis' history you would understand the movie much, MUCH more.

*had his Army of Darkness movie poster and DVD autographed by Bruce Campbell*
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top