Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:39:15 AM EDT
In short, it was mediocre, maybe decent at best.

The story was OK, there wasn't 45 minutes of boring build-up at the beginning, and some of the gore was left to the imagination (which is good). The special effects were fine, not overdone. The acting by the entire cast was pretty good.

It's kinda pathetic when someone puts out a movie, covers all the bases fairly well and we're supposed to give it rave reviews like it's some type of epic blockbuster. Aren't ALL movies supposed to be like this? In case you were wondering, I don't understand all the hype surrounding WotW. It was oh-kay.

Tom Cruise? Not bad, maybe pretty good. Played the part of a young-middle-aged dad under crisis fairly well.

Dakota Fanning? Not bad, maybe pretty good. Played a nine year old frightened girl fairly well (has she ever played another part, though?)

The actor who played Robbie? Not bad, maybe pretty good. Played the part of an adolescent, adrenaline-filled boy fairly well.

Tim Robbins? Eh, whatever. Anytime a moviemaker has some dude stalking around in war zone with a shotgun pointing at everything that moves...and then when he's about to shoot, he loads the damn thing, that moviemaker loses 1,000,000 points for sheer ridiculousness.

The ending was more abrupt than I expected it would be, but inspite of that, it was an efficient way to bring it to a close. The Javelin attacks were, again, fairly impressive.

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I certainly didn't see a blockbuster last night. I simply saw a pretty good movie.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree on all points; it was pretty good, but certainly not a "blockbuster".
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to bitch slap Tom Cruise throughout the whole movie.  I couldnt stand him in this movie, he acted like such a bitch.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wanted to bitch slap Tom Cruise throughout the whole movie.  I couldnt stand him in this movie, he acted like such a bitch.

I didn't think that at all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't think that at all.

+1
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+eleventybillion
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
His kids needed a kick in the ass, seems he spent more than half the movie chasing/looking for them.
It was o.k., good special effects, suspenseful at times but I felt like I saw it before . Nothing new just done with new faces.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was better than what most have said, but I loved the original as a kid.  It was a very dark movie, my favorite type of movie.  I think all the actors but Tim Robbins did a good job.  Would of been nice to have seen nukes used like in the original movie, and more battle scenes around the world.

oh well.

-mark
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Normally I would say it was OK at best, but before I saw it, I rented the recent version of WOTW starring C. Thomas Howell by mistake.

The Tom cruise version looks like the friggin "GODFATHER" compared to that stinkbomb.

C. Thomas Howell owes me 2 hours of my life and I want them back!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The movie would've been better if Dakota Fanning had stopped screaming for 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Any movie in which Tim Robbins dies gets a thumbs up from me.

Also, Spielberg declares that, post 9/11, he will stop making feel good alien movies.  Aliens are not our friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top