Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 3:56:07 PM EDT
I just reread the first couple of books, and due to their length thought "This will be fairly easy to adapt."

Indeed they were.  Though the screen characters are slightly more comical than I would have liked in some cases, the overall flick was good.

Peter and Edmund's relationship was a bit overdone IMO.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever see the BBC version from about 20 years ago?
British acting mixed with cartoon mixed graphics. Train wreck of galactic porportions. Battles consisted of plastic swords with about 15 actors.

Watching it was like watching a train wreck, in slow-mo.

I'm looking forward to going to see this one though. We almost went out last night but we missed the last showing.

-Steve
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up on the cartoon version that my mom hated.  She throughly enjoyed this version, I haven't seen it yet though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I missed it last Saturday night. Dang overtime.

Found out the theatre has it scheduled for two more weeks. I gotta' make it this weekend. Hopefully Friday.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw it last week. I was entertained. The battle scene was a bit dumb. I hope they film the rest of the series.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
K, saw it this afternoon.  I liked it but the acting was too underdone.  Even the woman who played the White Witch wasn't evil enough in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Good flick, it's aimed at a relatively young audience.  It is meant to be scary but not so terrifying as to induce nightmares and trauma in young children.  In this regard, it is very different than, say, Peter Jackson's "Lord Of The Rings".

Anyone heard any news about Jackson doing "The Hobbit" now that "King Kong" is in the can?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I went and saw it on Monday.

I thought the movie as a whole was very well done, and will probably get it on DVD when it comes out.

The CGI was outstanding.  The young girl who played Lucy was amazingly good.  The girl playing Susand did a decent job, as did the boy playing Edmund.  The guy who played Peter, in my opinion, sucked.  I think his acting needed a lot of work, but the screenwriters deserved a bit of the blame for that also.  While the movie was made for a younger audience, I think they really did his character injustice.  The film definately could have used another 30 minutes of developing Peter (Who's supposed to be the wisest and bravest...and comes off as a real twit).

Azlan was very well done, as was the White Witch.  

With the shabbiness of Peter, poor screenwriting adaptation, and some of the worst swordplay I've seen in a battle scene, I've got to lower the score a bit - with Lucy, CGI, White Witch, and Tumnis the Faun bringing it up a notch.

7 out of 10 stars rounds

ETA:  The beavers were cool too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Please remember, even the length of the movie has to be tailored for younger audiences.  Kids have real trouble sitting still in a dark theater for long movies with lots of "character development".
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was fantastic. The wife and I saw it Friday night and took the kids to see it today first showing just before noon. Tilda Swinton was so good in her role it was creepy. I may see it again before it leaves theaters.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw it yesterday and thought it kicked ass..... But, since I have never heard of Narnia, think there will be more movies?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
We have gone to one movie a year for the last four years. the rest of thime we get them from the library.
This was worth it, just ask my kids 11, 8, 6 yrs old.
They loved it. wanted to know when they could see it again, another wanted to buy it.
That who it was made for, not some old guy.
They loved it, I loved it!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
K, saw it this afternoon.  I liked it but the acting was too underdone.  Even the woman who played the White Witch wasn't evil enough in my opinion.

The only other place I'd seen her was when she played Gabriel in Constantine.  I think that is why she really gave me a really evil vibe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I saw it yesterday and thought it kicked ass..... But, since I have never heard of Narnia, think there will be more movies?

There's seven books, so, quite likely.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't like it that much.  I enjoyed the cartoon version much better, but my memory may be flawed, I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

About five years ago I was talking to ppl about scary movies and I mentioned Watership Down as being the scariest movie ever.  I re-watched it and wondered why I had been avoiding it all these years.  But when I was little...  the nightmares about bloody bunnies lasted for YEARS.  Slightly skewed memories...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard something last week that the production company has seven movies planned.  There are seven books in the series.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I went and saw this over the weekend, good movie, but here's some free advice.

If you're not bringing kids and want to keep your sanity, DO NOT GO TO AN AFTERNOON SHOWING.

Way too many kids. And I don't mean 7-8 year olds. Parents were bringing kids under 2, and there was one that look no older than 6 months that kept crying.

I made it through about 40 mins before I got up and walked out and got a pass to come back at a later time, which I did later that night.

Movie theaters should think about having a NO CHILDREN showing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Movie theaters should think about having a NO CHILDREN showing.

For a kids movie?  What a great idea......
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Beaver was a pretty cool character.  Great facial expressions and slinging one line zingers at his wife.

Some of the imagery was pretty powerful.  You could follow some events like reading the Gospels.

Great movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw the movie last Friday and absolutely loved it.  It is so full of Christian allegory I don't know where to start:  the Devil and temptation, repentence and forgiveness, atonement, resurrection, captive souls set free, etc.

I found the witch to be terrifying.  It was her subtlety in the early parts of the movie that make her so scary to me.  Reminds me of how often I sell myself short for some trivial pleasure.

Wonderful movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I really liked it, but it is an adaptation. There were things in it that were not in the book, and things in the book not in the movie.

A couple of Narnia blunders, that only real Narnians would notice. Like riding a talking horse, but overall it was okay.

I like the actors, but didn't like the arguing between Susan and Peter. Its not in the book, and her character in the movie comes off way to snotty.

Close enough for Hollywood though. I'd see it again, and I'm sure I'll get the DVD.

Rumor has the second movie out in December 2007.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I really liked it, but it is an adaptation. There were things in it that were not in the book, and things in the book not in the movie.

A couple of Narnia blunders, that only real Narnians would notice. Like riding a talking horse, but overall it was okay.

I like the actors, but didn't like the arguing between Susan and Peter. Its not in the book, and her character in the movie comes off way to snotty.

Close enough for Hollywood though. I'd see it again, and I'm sure I'll get the DVD.

Rumor has the second movie out in December 2007.

Susan did come accross a little too argumentative in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Erm.  Keep reading the other books then, matey.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read them all multiple times.

You don't ride a talking horse except in times of great need, and then only with permission.

In "A Horse and His Boy" Shasta rides the horse, but it was because he had been gone from Narnia so long he forgot what it was like. The girls horse allows her to ride it, but only because of the great need, and no one knows either horse talks..... except the riders of course.

In "The Final Battle" they are shocked to see the invaders using talking horses for labor, since that just isn't done.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read them all multiple times.

(multiple scenarios where talking horses do indeed get ridden snipped)

Exactly.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
felt it drug a bit , but enjoyed it
as for kids thee thats why i only go to 9:45pm  or later movies
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#27]
A few observations about the movie, in case anyone missed em (warning: potential spoilers):

Aslan = Christ
Edmond = humanity
Queen/Witch = satan

Edmond being a traitor = humanity being a sinner
Witch demanding traitor's blood = the wages of sin is death

Aslan taking Edmond's place on the 'stone' = Christ taking humanity's place on the cross
Edmond lived because of Aslan = people can live because of Christ, if they believe

There are many more symbolisms; but these are the important ones

BTW, GREAT movie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top