Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:41:30 PM EDT
Are there any disadvantages with using S-Video instead of a regular video cable for a DLP projector?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
S-video is the min. I would use. Component (NOT COMPOSITE) is next best. Since you mentioned Digital Light Processing (aka digital fixed resolution panel) you're best option would be DVI/HMDI. If you are using Direct TV, Digital Cable or DVDs, your source material is in a digital format. Your display is also Digital so it would be best to feed it a digital signal.

Composite, S video and component video are all analog cables. In this scenario, the source component (dvd player, STB) must convert the digital signal to analog and send it to the DLP display. Since the DLP display wants to see a digital signal it must convert it back to digital. The D/A and then A/D processing degrades the signal. If you have a Dvd player or STB with an HMDI or DVI output, you can keep the signal digital the whole way. You'll get a much improved picture (one that has not been degraded and is more accurate).

YMMV

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
My Dvd player does not have a DVI or HMDI output so I'll have to go with componet instead. Is there a website or store to get a 40ft + cord?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My Dvd player does not have a DVI or HMDI output so I'll have to go with componet instead. Is there a website or store to get a 40ft + cord?

I've had great results from www.avcable.com

Great prices

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
S-video is a higher quality connection than using composite video(yellow connection).  So it would be better to use S-video over composite.  If you have the capability to run Component, that would be your best bet if you want to get the best quality.

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would need a DVD player with HD-Upconversion in order to get the quality of DVI/HDMI.  The prices on them have dropped dramatically.  There are some good quality ones out there for about $120

There is only one DVD player that I am aware of the upconverts via the analog output and that is the Bravo DVD player I posted a link to above. The problem is Hollywood is obscessed with piracy and has effectively scared the DVD player manufacturers into not offering analog upconverted signals.

Even so, since the component signal will go through 2 additional processes D-A-D there will be some signal degredation so it won't be as good given equal source material and electronics.

I would recommend wiring for S-video (for gaming), component (DVD, HD STB), DVI (future DVD purchase, HD STB) and a 15 pin (computing).

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, you have really helped me a lot. I cannot wait to get everything set up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
For longer haul composite/component/s-video runs I you may want to look at using some good RG6 (cable tv cable) with adaptors to change the F connectors to RCA (or s-video).   It can be alot cheaper than custom cables and it has better shielding than standard cabling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top