Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:14:07 AM EDT
I'm looking to build one.

This one got me thinking about all the uses for it, from TIVO like recording/time shifting to making a unified media center that is hooked into my wireless home network.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm just using a P3-866 with a gig of ram and running XP pro.  For the tuner I have an All-in-wonder and use their software and remote.  I went with XP instead of media center edition so that I could still run games and other apps on the machine without dual-booting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick with XP. Use Media Portal or SageTV to handle the PVR functions.

Get the largest hard drive you can afford. A 320GB SATA Western Digital goes for ~$150.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
ATI's program comes with the ability to do PVR work.  Although I've never really messed with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm just using a P3-866 with a gig of ram and running XP pro.  For the tuner I have an All-in-wonder and use their software and remote.  I went with XP instead of media center edition so that I could still run games and other apps on the machine without dual-booting.

Is use the Media Center Edition on my Dell Precision Workstation with a WinTV card. It still runs everything else like a normal PC. I use Office, Visual Studio, games etc, etc...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an HTPC.  I second the notion above for SageTV, it's great.  For tuners, I have 2 x Hauppage PVR150-MCE.  I use regular WinXP.  I have a streamzap remote that uses an USB IR adapter.

Great setup and it's user friendly enough that my gf uses it regularly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top