Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2016 2:43:45 AM EDT
Quite a few good performances in this one.  The casting is spot-on!  It was very entertaining.

I saw it in IMAX 3D, definitely not essential but it was good.

Alison Sudol (Queenie) almost melted the screen she was so hot!.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The movie has a theme of inclusion and acceptance of all types.  From the little I've read, it seems this is as much or more about homosexuality and homosexuals (maybe LGBT, in general) as it is races, colors and creeds.  Honestly, it is a bit heavy-handed in this regard.  This aspect of the film is bothering me - too heavy handed.

Still, I enjoyed the movie.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The more I think about this movie, the less I liked it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw it last night and liked it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The movie has a theme of inclusion and acceptance of all types. From the little I've read, it seems this is as much or more about homosexuality and homosexuals (maybe LGBT, in general) as it is races, colors and creeds.  Honestly, it is a bit heavy-handed in this regard.  This aspect of the film is bothering me - too heavy handed.

Still, I enjoyed the movie.
View Quote

I just walked in the door from seeing it and that never even crossed my mind. Seriously...don't read so much into it.

The wife and I enjoyed it.

ETA: I just read your post to the wife, OP.  She said, "I never thought any such thing. What movie did he go see?"
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw it this past Saturday. I thought it was a really good movie. There was something in there for everybody, kids, adults, etc. Like the other posters said, I didn't pick up on any fag stuff, either. I was starting to get annoyed about the Minister of Magic continually harping about a war between the Nomags and the Wizarding community. After the fourth time, I kind of wanted to push her down a flight of stairs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just walked in the door from seeing it and that never even crossed my mind. Seriously...don't read so much into it.

The wife and I enjoyed it.

ETA: I just read your post to the wife, OP.  She said, "I never thought any such thing. What movie did he go see?"
View Quote

I was referring to the themes not the plot.

I liked the movie.  After mulling it over a bit, I liked it less than when I first walked out of the theater.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Never was a huge Harry Potter fan but Im currently reading the screen play of this and its not too deep imo. Its kind of a stretch to see the veiled themes, although I know that was what so many people thought Harry Potter was about. Just enjoy the rarity of a good story.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Never was a huge Harry Potter fan but Im currently reading the screen play of this and its not too deep imo. Its kind of a stretch to see the veiled themes, although I know that was what so many people thought Harry Potter was about. Just enjoy the rarity of a good story.
View Quote

It's more of a short story set within Harry Potter land than a full novel.  Visually beautiful, amazing acting, and fun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Watched it for a second time today.  A good way to get lost for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#10]
We watched the first hour, then turned it off.  Both of us, and our daughter (all huge HP fans) thought it sucked.  The main character was not likeable, or ever relatable.  He just liked animals, and he kind of seemed to have autism or some asperger's type syndrome going on (the whole not looking directly at people).  It was also very dark, but not in an enjoyable way.  It lacked the magically fun spirit that all of the Harry Potter movies had, even the later quite dark movies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We watched the first hour, then turned it off.  Both of us, and our daughter (all huge HP fans) thought it sucked.  The main character was not likeable, or ever relatable.  He just liked animals, and he kind of seemed to have autism or some asperger's type syndrome going on (the whole not looking directly at people).  It was also very dark, but not in an enjoyable way.  It lacked the magically fun spirit that all of the Harry Potter movies had, even the later quite dark movies.
View Quote
I agree with you but I think the baker was supposed to be your way in to the story not the title character.
And I'm not one to worry about having a film spoiled for me but the twist at the end made me laugh and wouldn't have if I'd known going in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I enjoyed it. I agree Newt was a bit off, but no more so than Neville or Luna in the "book" movies.  And I think they did set up the baker as the sympathetic, relatable character, and that seemed to work well. As I said, I enjoyed it as a well done, basically fluff sort of movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top