Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 6:14:41 PM EDT
Please keep this thread clear of arguing,debating, converting etc as there are plenty of other threads for that. The perpose of this thread is to recommend religious reading material whether it be versions of of a religion's main text (bible koran etc) or a book talking about a religion or a religion's values or even a book about ancient mythology etc. This is supposed to be a knowledge base. I hope that we can freely recommend reading material here without anything else getting in the way.

I will start.

My recommendations are two books from a man named Bob West whom I know quite well. The first one is titled Theophilus and the one true church A story of the church from simple beginnings to monsterous organizations. Mr. West is an accomplished cartoonist and tells the story in a series of cartoons while his coathur Art Thomson fills in the blanks with comentary and more details on the history of the church.

The other recommendation is titled Evolution versus science and the bible and Bob uses his scientific knowledge coupled with the bible to combat the idea that mankind evolved from lesser beings.

For further info on at least one of those books you can visit www.theophilus.org

More recommendations (and not all of them christian works) still to come.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I really liked Lee Strobel's books. Case For Faith, Case For Christ and Case For a Creator.
He interviews alot of experts from different fields. He has a law degree from Yale and was
the legal editor for the Chicago Tribune. He's not afraid to ask some tough questions.
Good books.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I really liked Lee Strobel's books. Case For Faith, Case For Christ and Case For a Creator.
He interviews alot of experts from different fields. He has a law degree from Yale and was
the legal editor for the Chicago Tribune. He's not afraid to ask some tough questions.
Good books.

Great books. Those are the ones that really got me into apologetics. If you notice, many of the books that I linked to are written by authors that were interviewed in the "Case For" books. That's how I learned about them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are interested in apologetics, here is an excellent book to read. Craig Parton is a trial attorney who notes that the evidence for Christ and His resurrection would withstand the scrutiny of a secular court.

His book is titled: The Defense Never Rests: A Lawyers Quest for the Gospel.

For a look, go here: The Defense Never Rests by Craig Parton

viator
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are interested in apologetics, here is an excellent book to read. Craig Parton is a trial attorney who notes that the evidence for Christ and His resurrection would withstand the scrutiny of a secular court.

His book is titled: The Defense Never Rests: A Lawyers Quest for the Gospel.

For a look, go here: The Defense Never Rests by Craig Parton

viator

Looks like a good one.  I will definitely order it.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Who is my God? By Herman Wouk.  It is the study of the Jewish Religion.  Funny as it might seem, it brought me closer to Christ.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
The Normal Christian Life  - Watchman Nee
The Cost of Discipleship - Dietrich Bonehoffer

All 3 were recommended to me by board members here, and all 3 are awesome books.

Another one I recommend:

Who are you to judge?  - Erwin Lutzer

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Sovereignty of God   --- - AW  Pink
Attributes Of God  --- same
Divine Inspiration of the Bible ---same

Bondage of The Will ---  Martin Luther
Institutes Of the Christian Religion ---  John Calvin

Pilgrims Progress --- John Bunyan

I am Going to start reading some Johnathan Edwards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top