Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:19:17 PM EDT
For an awesome testimony, read about John Newtons life. We all know his Hymns such as Amazing GRace but take a look at his life.

John Newton, Amazing Grace

and the inspiration for the Hyms. Breaks the song down line by line,
Amazing Grace
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  Interesting story.  God's grace is amazing.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Greatest song of all time.

Hands down.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my F-I-L (also my pastor, FWIW ) a couple of books for his birthday a few years ago, two volumes by the same author(s) - each book takes a bunch of hymns and goes into great detail about the author, the inspiration for the song, etc.  I read them wen he was done andthey were very interesting.

ETA:  Found a link...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I just listened to it and starter missing my dad all over again, it was his favorite also.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats interesting abiut Joh Newton is how famous a sinner he was in his life. Of him it was said "He had the reputation of being able to curse for two hours without repeating himself"

He was a Naval deserter. His motivation? "Wild and dissolute, he deserted from the British navy and ran away to Africa in order, as he put it in his memoirs, "that I might sin my fill." He deserted so he can sin his fill.

It is no wonder that John Newton was a great preacher of grace. He had learned that where sin abounded grace did much more abound: grace overflowed: grace was infinite. And he had become the astounding example of the fact that grace is not withheld because of sin.

When he died, Newton left behind the epitaph that remains today on his gravestone.

"John Newton, clerk, once an infidel and libertine, a servant of slaves in Africa, was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, preserved, restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach the faith he had long laboured to destroy."
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't ever seem to get through "Amazing Grace" or "Battle Hymn of the Republic" without getting teary eyed.  Both are very powerful songs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#7]
That was a great story. Thanks for the link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top