Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:18:01 PM EDT
THE "god" OF THIS GENERATION

Arthur W. Pink

The "god" of this twentieth century no more resembles the Supreme Sovereign of Holy Writ than does the dim flickering of a candle the glory of the mid-day sun. The god who is now talked about in the average pulpit, spoken of in the ordinary Sunday School, mentioned in most of the religious literature of the day, and preached in most of the so-called Bible conferences is a figment of human imagination, an invention of over-emotional sentimentality.

The heathen outside the pale of Christendom form gods out of wood and stone, while the millions of heathen inside Christendom manufacture a god out of their own carnal minds. In reality, they are but atheists; FOR THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE BETWEEN AN ABSOLUTE SUPREME GOD AND NO GOD AT ALL! A "god" whose will is resisted, whose designs are frustrated, and whose purpose is checkmated, possesses no title to Deity, and SO FAR FROM BEING A FIT OBJECT OF WORSHIP, MERITS NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT!

God is ALLMIGHTY over ALL Amen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A Sovereign and Gracious God is a truly humbling idea, and worthy of worship.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A Sovereign and Gracious God is a truly humbling idea, and worthy of worship.

Amen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Pleasure is todays god.

Sometimes sexual, sometimes intellectual, sometimes spiritual.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pleasure is todays god.

Sometimes sexual, sometimes intellectual, sometimes spiritual.

Yup, its all about what pleases man. I was mainly reffering to the God many christians profess yet dont realise the "god"  they preach is a god after their own hearts. Many sermons glorify man, but little for God. They want people to leave thinking of themselves, not God.

It shouldnt be asked after a sermon "What did I get from it?" It should be "What did God get from it?" Too many base their membership in a  church mainly from the conveniences it provides, the music it plays, and many other things that do not focus on God. they focus on programs, activities and social events more than the glory of God.

Dont get me wrong, there is a place for all of that. Unfortunately most make it secondary to Gods glory.

Even in the sermon, Gods hatred of sin is not preached. Its overlooked and avoided entirely. The "god" which the vast majority of professing Christians "love" is looked upon very much like an indulgent old man, who himself has no relish for folly, but leniently winks atthe "indiscretions" of youth. They think of a "god" patterned after their own evil prideful hearts. Their rejection and hatred of this truth is never before more manifest the terrible depravity of mans heart and his enmity gainst the living God than to have set before them One who is infinitely and immutably Holy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]

I've had some people tell me that us Christians are gods (John 10:34  Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods).  What do you say to that?

Shok
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've had some people tell me that us Christians are gods (John 10:34  Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods).  What do you say to that?

Shok

He wasnt speaking in reference to Christians at all.
First He was speaking to the Jews. They just accused Him of blasphemy. He never flat out said He was God but often paraphrased OT scripture. Referring Himself to the "I am" and others instances. In the scripture you quoted, he was paraphrasing OT scripture in the same effect He did when reffering to Himself as "I am"

Psalm 82:6

I said, "You are gods,
   And all of you are sons of the Most High.
   Nevertheless you will die like men
   And fall like any one of the princes."

Many times He repeats OT scriptures as if it were He who spoke in the OT. It was a rounf about way of claiming to be whe He was and defending Himself, while still keeping it a mystery to those who were bilnd and cut off from the promise of the Messiah.

The Jews have asked Jesus to plainly say if He is the Messiah. Though these are not His exact words, we may summarize His response as follows:"You should already know the answer to this question: My words and my works tell you plainly who I am.  The reason you don't know who I am is because you do not believe.  My sheep hear my voice and know me, but you are not my sheep.  I grant eternal life to my sheep, and no one can snatch from my hand those that the Father gives me.  My Father is greater than all and no one can snatch my sheep from my Father's hand - my Father and I are One!"At this point, the Jews understand that Jesus is making exclusive claims of equality with God, which (unless true!) are blasphemous.  Jesus asks which works He has done that warrant the charge of blasphemy.  The Jews reply that they are not stoning Him for His works, but for the words He has just spoken.  Jesus replies as follows:

"The Scripture says that God calls the judges in Psalm 82 'gods' on the basis of their divine commission.  Thus, since the Scripture cannot be wrong, it is not blasphemy for one with a divine commission to have a divine title.  I do not have a commission like the judges; I have an exclusive commission from my Father, for He set me apart and sent me into the world - to do the works you have seen, to say the words I have said, to grant eternal life to my sheep, to hold them fast in the same way my Father does, for He and I are One.  Therefore, I have not committed blasphemy!  But even if you persist in denying my words, you should believe on the basis of my works, for they prove that the Father is in Me in the same way I am in Him:  we are One!"

The Jews, of course, do not believe Jesus - not because they misunderstand Him (such would suggest that Jesus was ineffective in communicating His identity, or was being consciously deceptive) - but because they lack faith.  They are not Jesus' sheep, as He has said.  Thus, their rejection of Him lies in denial and self-deception, the root cause of all who reject God and His Christ (Romans 1:18 - 19).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a word in that original post that I can disagree with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top