Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 6:15:17 AM EDT
i am a firm believer in not trying to read anything into the bible.  to me it's like the constitution and a very simple document.
i think it's dangerous to infer meanings of passages, make religious jumps of thought or arguing about which action is "more" correct or more biblically sound.  Jesus warns us not to do this.

but maybe i am wrong.  does it say anywhere in the bible we shoud constantly grapple with each other over (petty) details or doctrine?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
When did Jesus warn us of this?

IMHO if one doesn't study the Bible and collaborate it with other information then you run the risk of making incorrect conclusions.

Some people seems scared to ever sway on any of their beliefs because they think if they are wrong on one issue then maybe they are wrong with everything, when that is not the case.

We discuss and research things so we can learn, otherwise we are just drones.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...if one doesn't study the Bible and collaborate it with other information then you run the risk of making incorrect conclusions.

Sgat1r5

If you try to corroborate (I think that's the word you were looking for) the bible with other sources of information, then you discover that people can't live for three days in a whale's stomach, or get pregnant when they're virgins, or that the world is older than 6,000 years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...if one doesn't study the Bible and collaborate it with other information then you run the risk of making incorrect conclusions.

Sgat1r5

If you try to corroborate (I think that's the word you were looking for) the bible with other sources of information, then you discover that people can't live for three days in a whale's stomach, or get pregnant when they're virgins, or that the world is older than 6,000 years.

If you have nothing to add then why are you here?

Stop trolling.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah your right but thats why they call it a miracle, devine intervention, etc.  Sometimes God works outside the laws physics and nature.  I thought everyone knew this?!

Shok
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sometimes God works outside the laws physics and nature.  I thought everyone knew this?!

Shok

Well, I am not to sure about that................

But would make a GREAT topic!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i am a firm believer in not trying to read anything into the bible.  to me it's like the constitution and a very simple document.
i think it's dangerous to infer meanings of passages, make religious jumps of thought or arguing about which action is "more" correct or more biblically sound.  Jesus warns us not to do this.

but maybe i am wrong.  does it say anywhere in the bible we shoud constantly grapple with each other over (petty) details or doctrine?

We're specifically warned against it (Titus chapter 3).

The problem lies within the definition of the word 'petty'.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Always remember the Bible you are reading is a translation of a translation of a translation, and you
should certainly consider doing some research outside of the Bible itself to try to get an idea
of the writing styles of the times when it was written originally.

So it may seem a simple document to you, but always remember it was not written in English.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Rom 14:3  Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

When it comes to eating clean and unclean food Paul says not grapple over the Law of the Jews.  I think this is true also of petty details or doctrine.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tit 3:9  But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Good one!

Thanks!

Shok
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yeah your right but thats why they call it a miracle, devine intervention, etc.  Sometimes God works outside the laws physics and nature.  I thought everyone knew this?!

Shok

If something's outside the laws of physics and nature, that's one of those things I'd have to see with my own eyes to believe. Point me to the nearest miracle, please. The magic Jesus toast on Ebay doesn't count.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Stop trolling.

Sgat1r5

Sorry, I thought it was an internet discussion board. Is this the forum where everyone is required to agree with you?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/03/ew.hot.rock/vert.tompetty.jpg

Sgatr15

I really, really like Tom Petty.

I know nothing of his politics or his religion, but I really, really like (and identify with) his music.

Is there a music forum we could move this to?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop trolling.

Sgat1r5

Sorry, I thought it was an internet discussion board. Is this the forum where everyone is required to agree with you?

Did you read the title of the post?

how prevalent is extra biblical doctrine in your church?

Were you responding to the topic of the post or just spouting your drivel?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 does it say anywhere in the bible we shoud constantly grapple with each other over (petty) details or doctrine?

Beat me to one of my own favorite verses. Wonder how that happened, C?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop trolling.

Sgat1r5

The topic was bout your church. You have a church? Or are you jumping into discussions and trying to shove your view down everyones throat? I though only us religious folks did that? Hypocrites are everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop trolling.

Sgat1r5

No, it is however a technical forum and the rules are slightly differant.

Do you have anything to contribute or are you just hear to argue?

Because that is trolling which is not allowed.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Back on subject folks:

No, that which I am a member of is as close to the first century model of Christianity as yet promulgated.

There are none of the following:

1. infant baptism
2. instrumental music
3. statues, beads, baubles, gold, jewels, alabaster figurines, paintings, or images of any sort
4. no clergy - no priests
5. no hierarchy, nobody is in charge of anything or body
6. no snake oil salesman money grubbing faith healers with helmet hair
7. no mind numbed robots who do not question what they are doing or why doing it

Just a few things I can think of.

We are warned not to exceed that which is given/written:

Ga:1:9: As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Now some here might say: How can you know that which was given of the Lord and that which was written by man, who are you to say?

Well, here is the Word of the Lord. First we shall define the Word, who or what is the Word?

Joh:1:1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jesus is the only person who fits the above definition. He is the Word.

Apparently also, the Word provided to us through the frail instrument of man is also perfect:

2Tm:3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Tm:3:17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So, scripture is perfect, it is the Word, it IS Jesus Himself. He is the Word.

Now, who here on earth has ever been fit or raised up high enough to ADD TO ANYTHING Jesus has ever said??

Not one. Lets hear what the Word has to say:

Ac:10:34: Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons

Soooo... God respects nobody. Hmm. That means NONE are above ANY OTHERS in Gods eyes. Yep, no not one... no not one.

So, in the end, whoever has the temerity to add to that which is written is taking his spiritual life in his own hands. If you need some idea of how God views those who wish to do other than what God wants, go look up a few in the Old Testament. Naaman the Syrian General, The young prophet that was killed by God for stopping to eat when he was told not to.

Do not exceed the Word that is contained in the scriptures. Dont do it.

Dram out

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

BINGO! You can rest assured that whether the motives are laudable or not, people don't fight over doctrinal points they believe to be petty.

Whether the contentiousness is underlain by genuine concern for truth, concern for the spiritual welfare of others, or a desire to appear erudite or to gain power, the point is important to the person who raises and defends it. Fine points of doctrine are a favorite haunt of Old Scratch. The doctrinal thicket is a great hiding place, because it's awfully hard to objectively declare that Dispute A involves matters of great gravity, while Dispute B is trivial, picayune, and one of those things that Paul says we should deal with in the manner calculated to cause the least trouble among the brethren.

Think about how many bloody battles (literally and figuratively) have been fought over doctrines nobody alive today could define without a week to research it. Think about the things that have led to schisms in the Church and continue to lead to bitter splits in congregations to this day. Doctrine and dogma are important, but not everything qualifies (again, we can thank Paul for warning us about this) as a "fight-worthy" doctrine or dogma. A very wise preacher was asked near the end of his life what he had learned about Christianity in his decades of study of and reflection. His answer was "Jesus loves me. This I know."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top