Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 4:33:24 AM EDT
Where'd that come from?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
In the days of persecution the early Christians used it as a sign that let other believers know there were fellow Christians in the area.  Kinda like gang tagging now, but with a different spirit behind it.

It comes frmo the Greek word for "fish", ICHTHUS:

Ichthus, spelled: Iota Chi Theta Upsilon Sigma. That is an acrostic for "Jesus Christ, of God, the Son, the Savior" [Iesous (Jesus) CHristos (Christ) THeou (of God) Uiou (the Son) Soter (the Savior)].
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
then you got the whole "go thou and bee fishers of men..."
feeding of the 5000 and 6000.
kind of a cool deal.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It means food.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It means food.

SGat1r5

Well, except fer the ones with hypodermic syringes stuck in them. Them are called "bait."

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It means food.

SGat1r5

Well, except fer the ones with hypodermic syringes stuck in them. Them are called "bait."

Or the Darwin fish, the one with legs.  That one makes me want to do things
I shouldn't be thinking of doing to other people.

Darwin Fish

Here is an explanation of the proper Ichthys

<><
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

<><

I actually did a newspaper column on the Darwin fish once.

Got some REALLY wild replies.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just that I'm thinking conspiracy with the jesus fish and the 'we support the troops' ribbons.....  Evil plot abound?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Man, you guys really are sensitive about Christain outreach!

The way I understand yet another explanation for the "fish" symbol, it was a different take on, but similar to, the gang-sign or secret handshake idea.

If one makes the sign of a cross by placing their middle finger over their index finger, it also appears similar to the ichthus.  This would have been used by early Christans to denote their affiliation.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not something like Jesus ate a fish or was a fisherman or something like that?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's not something like Jesus ate a fish or was a fisherman or something like that?

Several of His Apostles were fishermen. Then Jesus called them to become fishers of Men.

Thus the symbol of the fish. To confirm someone was a believer, one would draw half the fish in the sand, and the other person would complete it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#12]
You've got your explanation, but it's actually IXΘYΣ, not IChThUS, just to clarify. And Chi is not "tch" or "k" but either "x" or the German back-of-the-throat hiss.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Several of His Apostles were fishermen. Then Jesus called them to become fishers of Men.

Thus the symbol of the fish. To confirm someone was a believer, one would draw half the fish in the sand, and the other person would complete it.

Thats the explanation I heard as well. I heard it was real popular during Neros reign.

I dont have any icons on my vehicle, home, or on my body but did wonder where some of the icons came from. Especially the fish.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He was a carpenter of course.

But fish was the main meat they ate if I recall correctly.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

wow, you really have some serious  mental issues going on, if you see someone expressing their views........I don't even think like that when I see a "jesus saves" or other "religous" bumpersticker........you just might want to seek professional help.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thats the explanation I heard as well. I heard it was real popular during Neros reign.

I dont have any icons on my vehicle, home, or on my body but did wonder where some of the icons came from. Especially the fish.

I am not an icon sort of guy, and frankly I wish people would get those fish off of their cars. You have no idea how many times I have seen someone with a Jesus fish on their car act like an idiot or a total jerk in their car, and there is their Jesus fish, proclaiming to the whole world that their actions are "christian".

One fellow I know actually has YWYH (only he spells The Name out entirely) on his license plate while he drives like a nutjob and screams at people from behind the wheel!! It is sad to see how little we reverence God's name any more.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Early church also used the symbol alpha for indentification, with omega as the response.  This is the reason why the "fish" symbol is supposed to "face left" (it's an alpha not a fish).  As the greek alpha looks like a fish as well, this reinforced the fish symbolism (fishermen disciples, ICHTHUS anagram, "fishers of men", ...).  The cross did not become the predominant symbol until later.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, you really have some serious  mental issues going on, if you see someone expressing their views........I don't even think like that when I see a "jesus saves" or other "religous" bumpersticker........you just might want to seek professional help.

The point of the Christian symbols is to praise God or to reach out to non-believers.  The point of the Darwin symbol is to insult Christians by twisting a Christian symbol.  The point of the Darwin twist is not to promote Darwinism, it is to insult and ridicule Christians, otherwise why use the symbol?  I understand most people probably think they are just being funny or whatever, but the root of their fun is mocking the symbol, the idea of Genesis-type creation, and Christianity.

If someone took a Star of David and twisted it into an insult would Jews not be entitled to be insulted?  What about when someone takes Old Glory and defaces it into an anti-American symbol?

ETA:  BTW, I don't have either on my car or truck for what it's worth.  And I am not insulting or deriding your post, I just wanted to point out the difference betweent the use of the symbols.  You'll note that TexasSig doesn't become angry at East and South Asian dashboard shrines, rearview mirror icons, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In the days of persecution the early Christians used it as a sign that let other believers know there were fellow Christians in the area.  Kinda like gang tagging now, but with a different spirit behind it.

Ichthus, spelled: Iota Chi Theta Upsilon Sigma. That is an acrostic for "Jesus Christ, of God, the Son, the Savior" [Iesous (Jesus) CHristos (Christ) THeou (of God) Uiou (the Son) Soter (the Savior)].

So according to this explanation we can conclude that Jesus was a fish.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Excuse me while I copy and paste my response to another thread...

Quick.. some one draw a Jesus fish.. y'know the kind you find on the tail ends of cars all over... Got it? Good.

Now, take your pen and put it on the tip of the nose of the fish and draw a circle around to the top of the tail.

Done? Excellent.

Now do the same but draw a lower circle from the tip of the nose to the bottom of the tail.

What do you see? Two intersecting circles. One is Divinity and one is Humanity. Jesus is the overlapping space; the bridge between Divinity and Humanity.

That answer your question?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
In the days of persecution the early Christians used it as a sign that let other believers know there were fellow Christians in the area. Kinda like gang tagging now, but with a different spirit behind it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So according to this explanation we can conclude that Jesus was a fish.

Nahhhh.  Though they're just still fishing...Theirs is bound up so tightly upon the Hebrew Bible that they can't help but to refer to our Covenant, just soooo often.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top