Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 3:26:04 PM EDT
Two fingers, three fingers, or more? Do you go up - down - left - right - center, or just up - down - left - right ? Poll coming.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet and Watch.  Ever hear that old saying?

Up, Down, Right, Left.

First 2 fingers and thumb, dont know why that one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Usually it is as a fist since I am holding my rosary.  Start at the forehead, then the chest, thenm the shoulders.  Sometimes the words "In my thoughts, my words, and my deads" are included as I do the sign of the cross.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]

I don't practice symbolism.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not. I have not been taught the correct way and  I  respect the people of the church too much to make a hash of it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would not. I have not been taught the correct way and  I  respect the people of the church too much to make a hash of it.

I don't think there really is a "correct" way.  I see people doing it in different
manner all the time.    Doing it is better than not doing it to me, regardless of how.

I don't genuflect the way everyone else does either.  Most people just kinda dip down,
I take a knee and come back up.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't genuflect the way everyone else does either.  Most people just kinda dip down,

That's a whole differant topic and something I have noticed also.  People bow and kneel very differantly.  Some people have a hard time bending.  But the though behind the action is the key.

Sgatyr15
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
On the rare occasions, when I find myself inside the dorrs of a Roman church. I would simply bow my head if someone in front of me had genuflected. That is  MY response to that  "need" for  respect to the image . I  do not KNOW what is proper and I think a heartfelt respectful gesture should handle that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a whole differant topic and something I have noticed also.  People bow and kneel very differantly.  Some people have a hard time bending.  But the though behind the action is the key.

Sgatyr15

You're right, it's probably the thought that counts, I just remember getting whacked
in the back of the head if my knee didnt touch carpet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I  do not KNOW what is proper and I think a heartfelt respectful gesture should handle that.

Good enough.  It is basically a act of humility as you recognize that you are entering the house of the Lord.

Although of couyrse God is everywhere.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You're right, it's probably the thought that counts, I just remember getting whacked
in the back of the head if my knee didnt touch carpet.

Must have been an Irish Nun.  I had them in grade school and they would whack you for just about ANY reason.  I think they just lkiked whacking people
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]
You are also supposed to do it when you cross the centerline of the Church, bow or genuflect a bit
as you move from one side the other.   Draw an imaginary line from the Crucifix over the altar
to the back wall.  If you cross that centerline, do some act of respect.  

And what is the trend lately for people to talk loudly in the sanctuary before or after
a service?  It was always a reverent whisper when I was growing up.  All of that
solemness seems to be going away in favor of comfort and relaxation.  

I don't get it.  

And wearing shorts... Oh, I could go on for an hour......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And what is the trend lately for people to talk loudly in the sanctuary before or after
a service?  It was always a reverent whisper when I was growing up.  All of that
solemness seems to be going away in favor of comfort and relaxation.  

Agrred.  I have been know to tell people to STFU before.

I don't get it.  

And wearing shorts... Oh, I could go on for an hour......

This was a problme at my church awhile ago.  Finally the pastor got upset and said something about during a sunday mass, then after mass he put up a sign telling people how to dress.

It took awhile to take but it worked.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]

I don't practice symbolism

+1, good point.

As far as the other people here thinking that you have to be dressed to the tilt when worshiping the Lord, I do not get it.

Jesus returned on a donkey and wearing ragged clothes. His own Disciples wore what they wore. But now certain denominations have a problem with people just accepting Jesus Christ as savior and living life as such.

Man made 'filler', useless distractions. 'holy water', Insense, etc....Forget it.

Want to think I am a slob for wearing shorts and sandles to Church, thats fine, I know where I am going.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Want to think I am a slob for wearing shorts and sandles to Church, thats fine, I know where I am going.

Would you dress that way for a job interview?  Why?  Respect for the person interviewing you
and wanting to present a professional image?

What, no respect for Christ?   OK, wear shorts.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you dress that way for a job interview?  Why?  Respect for the person interviewing you
and wanting to present a professional image?

What, no respect for Christ?   OK, wear shorts.  

Interesting how you think you can judge my heart.

I do not need suit and ties, slacks and shoes to be saved, if you need it...You need to learn more about the word of God. Salvation is not dependant upon a dress code, nor does it represent any more respect or any less.

Typical, I am glad I left that way of life.

" ....that in all things He might have the preeminence."
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Never been to a "high church" service, so don't know anything about the topic of this thread.

In regards to wearing shorts to church.  I had been a long standing member of a charismatic church where wearing shorts to service was not unusual.  There is nothing wrong with such attire in and of itself, but it is symbolic of a certain casualness.  That is my conviction, and if others don't have the same, fine by me.  Not like Paul said you could not wear shorts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
No it is simply about respect. It is not casual day at church. I posted in this  thread and gave my answer because of the respect part of the  question. Even though I have  an abiding and long lasting deep rooted hatred for the Roman church, I still give the people and the services the respect they deserve.This whole casual outlook on life is about a lack of respect for yourself and others.  Don't turn this into an argument or a  pissing contest. The rites of the church deserves at least the same respect that you give the flag and the Pres. You WOULD not wear shorts to see the Pres. and you WOULD not remain seated during the  National Anthem.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]

This whole casual outlook on life is about a lack of respect for yourself and others.

And there we have it, another person judging. Imagine that, an outwardly appearance is what matters? Man, that goes against the Bible....But I am sure you know that. (hint Matt)

Typical:

"Oh, look at him, how can he be a beleiver? Look at the way he is dressed! There is no way Christ is his savior! There is no way he has opened up his heart and let the teachings of Jesus Christ pour in. The way he is dressed proves that..."

Don't turn this into an argument or a pissing contest..

Sounds like you need the last word....I'll give you the last word with that.......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I am not a church goer  or a  proponent of christianity. Your attempted slam against me falls far outside the bullseye. I was speaking of respect not religion or symbolism or any slamming of someone because he doesn't measure up to "religious" standards.  Obviously you chose to take that to heart and prove that you are not a respectful person.  I even said that I am in opposition to the Roman church and you still went with that religious stupid argument.  I haven't darkened the door of a church or temple in years BUT my respect for others would  compel me to dress appropriately.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No it is simply about respect. It is not casual day at church. I posted in this  thread and gave my answer because of the respect part of the  question. Even though I have  an abiding and long lasting deep rooted hatred for the Roman church, I still give the people and the services the respect they deserve.This whole casual outlook on life is about a lack of respect for yourself and others.  Don't turn this into an argument or a  pissing contest. The rites of the church deserves at least the same respect that you give the flag and the Pres. You WOULD not wear shorts to see the Pres. and you WOULD not remain seated during the  National Anthem.

VERY well said, and I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGatr15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top