Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 12:05:49 PM EDT
I dont want this to be a war over other peoples interpretation of the 2nd comandment. Though a good topic, thats not the point of this thread.
Since we have no idea of exactly what Jesus looked like, is it ok to hang up a picture of just about any human and say its Jesus? It is my opinion that we are gukity of trying to make God into our image.

Is it approprate for folks to pick and choose an image they want to associate with Christ and just go with it?

Also where did we get the skinny long haired white Jesus image from and why is it the most widely accepted?

What we know about Christ.
1 Was a Jew in middle Eastern region from bloodlines going back thousands of years in that region and africa.
2 Short hair was the common hairstyle of the area and time.
3 He was not the most attractive man,  Isaiah 53 - christian interpretation
4 He had to be pointed out in the crowd, its not like they could have said , "its the long haired white guy", because if that were the case, no pointing would have been needed.

I am not going to condemn anyone who does this practice, just wondering what your thoughts as far as defence of or against the practice were.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
ok, what's the point of the thread then, to google and post images of Christ?

nevermind, got it.

I think across the ages people made images of christ that mostly looked lke the people of their own nationality/race
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
CaptainPooby looks like Jesus to me.  Seriously...he does.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What we know about Christ.
1 Was a Jew in middle Eastern region fro bloodlines going back thousands of years in that region and africa.
2 Short hair was the common hairstyle of the area and time.
3 He was not the most attractive man, nothing to remark at yet not ugly enough to stick out.
4 He had to be pointed out in the crowd, its not like they could have said , its the long haired white guy, because if that were the case, no pointing would have been needed.

I am not going to condemn anyone who does this practice, just wondering what your thoughts as far as defence of or against the practice were.

As a Christian in a previous life, a Jew now, biblical scholars don't even have the answers to these questions...though my wife likes what she thinks of as my "good looks", so I'll vote against your point #3.  

Ed

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The only description of Him we are given is in Revelation.  

As for His physical appearance during His earthly ministry, I think there is a reason no description or pictures exist.  In our human nature we would probably start making statues and other images like the pagans did with their "gods."  How can the infinite, omnipotent, omniscient Creator be rendered in a statue?

I would say it's a safe bet that whatever popular picture or statue you've seen representing Him, He didn't look anything like it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Jesus' actual physical features are not mentioned in scripture, save that He had a beard and that He was a carpenter, meaning that Jesus was probably physically quite strong. (Carpentry was hard work with no power tools...)

Aside from that, scripture tells us very little about His fleshly appearance. Interpretation of His visage is just that, and has been colored by societal interpretations and ideas, as well as by the Shroud of Tourin.

Jesus' looks are really quite un-important, but I must admit that my mental picture of Him is indeed formed by all the little portraits seen in Sunday School class.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I don't care for crucifixes, or artists rendering of Jesus,a nd all teh religious clap trap.

But I don't lose sleep over it.

I get more righteously indignant that they picture the Christ like some anorexic, 98 lb weakling faggot effeminate girlie man.

Both of His time on this earth, and His imminent return, Scripture pictures the Lord as (Lord forgive me) rather kick ass.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The phrase "we are created in the image of God" means we have God inside of us and that we also have the ability to create.  YMMV.

I have an old tapistry of Jesus on my wall.  It is from an old Catholic Church.  I know it isn't an ACCURATE repressentation of Jesus, but when I see it I am reminded to  pray.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought this thread was going to be about the Magic Jesus Toast on Ebay or something.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Nobody fucks with the Jesus!
oh wrong Jesus
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top