Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2015 2:44:20 AM EDT
As a Southern Baptist heretic (I'm a Calvinist), I have just grown disillusioned with anybody or anything, mostly music groups, that call themselves Christian. I'm with my GF on this point. A lot of this stuff has gotten cringy, I understand and like worship songs but a lot of the "mainstream" Christian music and stuff is this repeat the same gahtdang verse 5 000 times and not really dive into the spiritual meat that the Bible has. Lifeway I'm looking mostly at you.

I haven't lost or am losing my faith, I'm tired of mediocrity in Christianity. God deserves more than this dribble. The fraternity I was in had a verse we memorized and stuck to, Proverbs 27:17 (along with Psalms 133:1): As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another (NIV). Am I being incredibly pessimistic (long story) as well as whiny or am I on to something?

Feel free to correct me and point me in the correct direction .

P.S. Any Beta Upsilon Chi brothers and/or alumni here?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, Christian "rock" has always sucked - sounds far too contrived and insincere.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO, Christian "rock" has always sucked - sounds far too contrived and insincere.  
View Quote

I'll agree with 99% of that.

Listen to some Kieth Greene, Rich Mullins, or Michael Card for some that is unlike what you posted above.

ETA typos
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll give'em a listen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you listened to secular top 40 lately? All modern pop music sucks. The problem started when producers figured out they could sell an image, then developed tools to fake the songs (Autotune, Beat Align, etc) so the image became more important since anybody can fake musical skill these days.  

The Christian Contemporary Music industry has followed suit. Add to that many of the worship songs are geared to be played by hobbyist-level musicians with a minimal amount of rehearsal on Sunday morning. That's why they are so repetitive.

(BTW, not to derail this thread, if you want to proclaim Calvinism, you need to watch this in it's entirety to understand it's implications)
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Like who?

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like who?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like who?

I think he means like Chris Tomlin, David Crowder and that whole crowd. The whole "let's make salvation and feeling the spirit an emotional response." I could be wrong and misinterpreting it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing's stopping you from writing.  

Complicated theology is fairly hard to put to a tune.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think he means like Chris Tomlin, David Crowder and that whole crowd. The whole "let's make salvation and feeling the spirit an emotional response." I could be wrong and misinterpreting it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like who?

Yeah they're not making salvation anything; they're just singing praise songs.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
This is funny and so real.  

Messy Mondays and how to write a worship song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYuA0Cz8ls

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="GhYuA0Cz8ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This is funny and so real.  

Messy Mondays and how to write a worship song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYuA0Cz8ls

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="GhYuA0Cz8ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Relevant to this thread:

And yeah, the old stuff is always better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]

NVM.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As a Southern Baptist heretic (I'm a Calvinist), I have just grown disillusioned with anybody or anything, mostly music groups, that call themselves Christian. I'm with my GF on this point. A lot of this stuff has gotten cringy, I understand and like worship songs but a lot of the "mainstream" Christian music and stuff is this repeat the same gahtdang verse 5 000 times and not really dive into the spiritual meat that the Bible has. Lifeway I'm looking mostly at you.

I haven't lost or am losing my faith, I'm tired of mediocrity in Christianity. God deserves more than this dribble. The fraternity I was in had a verse we memorized and stuck to, Proverbs 27:17 (along with Psalms 133:1): As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another (NIV). Am I being incredibly pessimistic (long story) as well as whiny or am I on to something?

View Quote

Personally, I like some Christian Rock and still drag out my "vintage" (to me) Audio A, DC Talk, POD, Newsboys stuff ,however; in my mind I separate those from the Music and Hymns suitable for Worship/Church.
Not that I'm dogmatic about it but I like my "Sunday" lyrics to be able to trace a line to Scripture.  
All that said, I think the greater mistake might be to impose my opinions and preferences as "gospel truth"...it's not the tune of their songs that go in the ear but the content of the listeners heart.
I.E I'm not that concerned about music styles as Jesus reflection.

Check out :
GLory to the Holy One
If you're Calvinist you should be on Ligonier anyway; ;)
Also maybe
The Modern Post
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't listen to Christian music groups, prefer hymns...however, I will second your opinion on Lifeway.  In my opinion, they push a lot of feel good, life experience products, be it music or literature.  If I want deeper literature I'm usually forced to order online.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't listen to Christian music groups, prefer hymns...however, I will second your opinion on Lifeway.  In my opinion, they push a lot of feel good, life experience products, be it music or literature.  If I want deeper literature I'm usually forced to order online.
View Quote
Heard dat
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Youtube is the best.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I honestly think the Bible is all anyone really needs but there are good commentaries out there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I've often found myself listening to a song that has a particularly moving beat or sound, and thinking, "Darn it! If only Christian music rocked like this and didn't sound so darn syrupy all the time!"

It's not just limited to popular music, either. Some of the stuff that makes its way into the sanctuary is just awful in its blandness...
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are into metal Impending Doom, MyChildren MyBride, and A Plea For Purging are really good!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you are into metal Impending Doom, MyChildren MyBride, and A Plea For Purging are really good!
View Quote
Also Saving Grace, Sleeping Giant, The Crucified, and Living Sacrifice.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah yea.

For less metal stuff, there's
Thrice
Dustin Kensrue
older Kye Kye
Stavesacre
White Lighter
Extol (ok that one's heavy too)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top