Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2010 7:05:39 PM EDT
Sunday, April 18, 2010

First Reading:
Acts of the Apostles 5:27-32,40b-41

27 And when they had brought them, they stood them before the council. And the high priest questioned them,
28 and said: “We strongly order you not to teach in this name. For behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and you wish to bring the blood of this man upon us.”
29 But Peter and the Apostles responded by saying: “It is necessary to obey God, more so than men.
30 The God of our fathers has raised up Jesus, whom you put to death by hanging him on a tree.
31 It is he whom God has exalted at his right hand as Ruler and Savior, so as to offer repentance and the remission of sins to Israel.
32 And we are witnesses of these things, with the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to all who are obedient to him.”
40b they warned them not to speak at all in the name of Jesus.
41 And indeed, they went forth from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were considered worthy to suffer insult on behalf of the name of Jesus.

Second Reading:
Revelation 5:11-14

11 And I saw, and I heard the voice of many Angels surrounding the throne and the living creatures and the elders, (and their number was thousands of thousands)
12 saying with a great voice: “The Lamb who was slain is worthy to receive power, and divinity, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.”
13 And every creature that is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and all that is within the sea: I heard them all saying: “To the One sitting upon the throne and to the Lamb be blessing, and honor, and glory, and authority, forever and ever.”
14 And the four living creatures were saying, “Amen.” And the twenty-four elders fell down on their faces, and they adored the One who lives forever and ever.

Gospel:
John 21:1-19

1 After this, Jesus manifested himself again to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. And he manifested himself in this way.
2 These were together: Simon Peter and Thomas, who is called the Twin, and Nathanael, who was from Cana of Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two others of his disciples.
3 Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.” They said to him, “And we are going with you.” And they went and climbed into the ship. And in that night, they caught nothing.
4 But when morning arrived, Jesus stood on the shore. Yet the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.
5 Then Jesus said to them, “Children, do you have any food?” They answered him, “No.”
6 He said to them, “Cast the net to the right side of the ship, and you will find some.” Therefore, they cast it out, and then they were not able to draw it in, because of the multitude of fish.
7 Therefore, the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord.” Simon Peter, when he had heard that it was the Lord, wrapped his tunic around himself, (for he was naked) and he cast himself into the sea.
8 Then the other disciples arrived in a boat, (for they were not far from the land, only about two hundred cubits) dragging the net with the fish.
9 Then, when they climbed down to the land they saw burning coals prepared, and fish already placed above them, and bread.
10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish that you have just now caught.”
11 Simon Peter climbed up and drew in the net to land: full of large fish, one hundred and fifty-three of them. And although there were so many, the net was not torn.
12 Jesus said to them, “Approach and dine.” And not one of them sitting down to eat dared to ask him, “Who are you?” For they knew that it was the Lord.
13 And Jesus approached, and he took bread, and he gave it to them, and similarly with the fish.
14 This was now the third time that Jesus was manifested to his disciples, after he had resurrected from the dead.
15 Then, when they had dined, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
16 He said to him again: “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
17 He said to him a third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was very grieved that he had asked him a third time, “Do you love me?” And so he said to him: “Lord, you know all things. You know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my sheep.
18 Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked wherever you wanted. But when you are older, you will extend your hands, and another shall gird you and lead you where you do not want to go.”
19 Now he said this to signify by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Study Page

Overview of the Gospel:

* This Sunday’s Gospel reading takes place sometime after Jesus’ second Resurrection appearance on the Sunday after Easter. The disciples have gone from Jerusalem, returning home to the Galilee region, and decide to resume their occupations as fisherman on the Sea of Tiberias (also called the Sea of Galilee or Lake Gennesaret depending on which shore of the lake you were standing. See Mark 1:16 and Luke 5:1).

*  After an unsuccessful night of fishing, Jesus appears on the shore. As in other appearances of Jesus (Luke 24:16; John 20:14), the disciples don’t recognize him.

*  Jesus then causes a miraculous catch of fish to appear, which must have reminded the disciples of one of their early encounters with him (Luke 5:11). At this point they recognize him and rush ashore to meet him, impetuous Peter leading the way.

* Jesus goes on to remind them of many other things and to deliver a prediction.

Questions:

* Reflecting on the First Reading, have you ever encountered opposition because of your religious beliefs? Did your attitude resemble that of the Apostles on this occasion?

* In the Second Reading, who is being referred to as “the Lamb”? What does it tell you about who is being praised and honored and why?

* In the Gospel, what might the disciples been discussing on the 90-mile journey from Jerusalem, after the Resurrection appearance (John 20:26), on their way to Galilee?

*  In deciding to go fishing, do you think St. Peter just wanted something to do, or did he return to his old business for some other reason?

* Why did Jesus’ followers have trouble recognizing him after the Resurrection?

* Why do you think Jesus repeated the same question and charge to Peter three times (John 13:36-38; 18:15-18, 25-27)? How is Peter expected to demonstrate his love and loyalty to Jesus from now on? In light of Ezekiel 34 and John 10:15, what would Jesus’ shepherd imagery mean to Peter?

* What are verses 18 and 19 a prediction of? How has God’s call in your life led you to places, circumstances, or relationships you would rather have avoided? How has that been a “death” to self? How have you used it to glorify God?

If anyone is interested in a weekly reminder about this thread, just sen me an IM and I will add you to my mailing list.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]

* Why do you think Jesus repeated the same question and charge to Peter three times (John 13:36-38; 18:15-18, 25-27)? How is Peter expected to demonstrate his love and loyalty to Jesus from now on? In light of Ezekiel 34 and John 10:15, what would Jesus’ shepherd imagery mean to Peter?

Jesus reminded Peter of the three times that he himself denied Christ. Now, afterwards, Peter was given a three-fold opportunity to publicly profess his devotion for each one of his three denials. For each declaration of faith, the risen Lord commanded Peter to feed the flock, the Christian community. Ezekiel the prophet spoke of God as Israel's "shepherd" (Ez.34:12). Jesus called himself the "Good Shepherd" (Jn 10:14). Peter, the Church's future shepherd, would lay down his life for the sake of the "flock," just as Jesus had done.

In Ezekiel, we see the prophesy against the phony "shepherds" of Israel. The people became as sheep without a shepherd, were given up as a prey to their enemies, and the land was utterly desolated. No rank or office was exempt from the reproofs of God's word, men who neglect their duty, and abuse the trust reposed in them.

The Lord declared that he intended mercy towards the scattered flock. This was a reference to the restoration of the Jews. It also represented the good Shepherd's tender care of the souls of his people. He finds them in their days of darkness and ignorance, and brings them to his fold. He comes to their relief in times of persecution and temptation. He leads them in the ways of righteousness, and causes them to rest on his love and faithfulness.

And, of course, in John, the Good Shepherd lays down his life for his flock––he is not a "hirling," working only for wages who flees at the first sign of danger.

Jesus' words to Peter prefigure his death and martyrdom. Jesus prophesied about Peter’s death when he said, “Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God.

And when he had said this, he said to him, "Follow me."

My prayer today: "Lord, let me follow you straight and true each day."

Tradition says that St. Peter requested to be crucified up side down because he did not feel worthy to be crucified in the same way that his Lord and Saviour, Jesus was.

Can we hear St. Peter repeating our Lord's last words: "...forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
* In the Gospel, what might the disciples been discussing on the 90-mile journey from Jerusalem, after the Resurrection appearance (John 20:26), on their way to Galilee?

He wants us to do what?!  Us?  Uh-oh, I guess we should have paid more attention... maybe taken some notes....

* In deciding to go fishing, do you think St. Peter just wanted something to do, or did he return to his old business for some other reason?

Maybe in this time of uncertainty and turmoil, he wanted to do what he knew, where he could have some sense of normalcy and control.  It was only one week since the resurrection, and perhaps the reality of it all was all still setting in.  In another sense, this is human nature as a reaction to something so wonderful.  You can only ride that high for so long until the "honeymoon" is over and you have to get back to "real life."  And for Peter, that was fishing.  I'm sure we've all gone through that in our faith journey's, marriages, having a baby, and the list goes on.

* Why did Jesus’ followers have trouble recognizing him after the Resurrection?

Because Jesus was in his new, glorified body would be the easy answer.  But, symbolically there is always more to it, isn't there?  He is revealed to them - and us - on His terms, when they are ready to recognize Him.  Just as the disciples on the road to Emmaus recognized Him in the breaking of the bread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top