Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 9:48:29 AM EDT
Looking at a 2002 4Runner SR5 4WD.  It has 55,000 miles.  

I'm not familiar with the Toyota's so here's my question.....

While parked with the truck running I push the "4WD" button on the side of the shifter.  It seemed like it made a lot of noise.  I was able to move the shifter between H and L no problems and the light on the dash indicated it was in 4WD.  I was just concerened with the noise occurring when I pushed the button both times.  Is this normal?  Was I not doing it right?  I was guessing that the button engaged the 4WD but then what is the shifter for?  Just to select H or L?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no Toyota expert, but most 4wd vehicles that I'm familiar with need to be in neutral or rolling foward to engage the transfer case properly. I'd imagine that the noise you heard was something getting in a bind because it couldn't get the gears lined up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The other one I looked at didn't seem to make such a pronounced noise.  If we go back tomorrow and drive it I'll check it out again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They are great autos imo I've had 3,........all went over 135k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top