Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 4:52:55 PM EDT
2003 Ford Expedition 33000 miles.

2 weeks ago I went for my first smog. Not knowing they check the computer it didnt pass because the week before I was doing some tuning with a programmer I have, and by default when a new program is entered it erases all codes. Ive been working out of town so I never get to drive my truck. The emissions passed with no pollutants just the computer check failed.
They told me to drive 100 miles and come back. Since I have a code reader I did verify the code p1000, monitor checks not complete. Well finally after 2 weeks and 460 miles it finally clears, and at the same time today I get a code for low idle, which I have fixed in the past by spraying out a idle air valve. But now my check engine light is on because of that idle. I sprayed out the valve and the idle is perfect again. (BTW there was no code for the idle before when I did the programming 2 weeks ago)
Since the smog place is closed I cant call them and ask if its a problem with that code to pass smog, I dont want to erase it and have to spend another $100+ in gas and another 2 weeks of weekend driving.
Can it pass if there are codes, I really dont think the low idle is a big deal but I only have 1 free retest and dont want to spend even more money again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not a smog guy, but I would think that if the MIL is on and codes are stored, that's a no-go for passing.

And if you want to ultimately fix it, replace the IAC.

The first time I bought the IAC but then saw it was such a easy part to clean I returned the $120 part. Ive read its a common problem. I just dont want to have to waste more gas driving around if I clear the code. I really dont see how its anyone's business what codes I have stored, the exhaust pipe test was super low almost nothing, that should be what they go after. Even if I can somehow trick the computer for the test it still doesnt put out any pollution so whats the big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top