Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 5:58:49 AM EDT
Old and Busted (Well, not actually busted ):

The New Hotness:

I sold my 1980 911SC last Friday and picked up the new Evolution X GSR the same day.

Before any of you jump on me, I can honestly say that the Evo X has it all over the Porsche in every category except for "classic" looks. It is faster, quicker, handles better, brakes better, rides better, has more precise steering, a slicker 5 speed, better seats and useful AC.

The only negative is I'm not supposed to exceed 5,000 rpm during the initial 600 miles. Even staying under that rev limit, it has been a blast so far. The Mitsubishi S-AWD really has to be experienced. It provides stunning levels of control in the corners.

I thought my 911 cornered like it was on rails. Now it seems like a station wagon in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice Evo.  Any plans for mods or are you leaving it stock?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Glad they mellowed the huge ass wing in the back it looks like. You have a pic of the back? What did it cost?

They offer a higher wing, but I am with you. The extra-high wing (like what came on the VIII and IX) is too ricer for my taste.

I paid considerably under invoice for mine. The sticker price was $34, and I paid $31 for it.

Car sales, except for econoboxes, are VERY slow right now so the dealer was motivated. Now is a good time to buy a car, and an outstanding time to buy a truck. They are practically paying you to take pickups off their hands. The local Toyota dealer has Tundras that are $7,000 - 8,000 off sticker. Same at the Chevy dealer in town.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice Upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#6]
awesome
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So is this THE Evo or is there a one with better performance? It looks kick ass, I haven't owned a car in about 20 years I'd probably have a heart attack in that thing going around a corner over 20.

This is the Evolution X (that's the number ten, not the letter "x") GSR version with the 5 speed manual. They have another version, the MR, that comes with a 6 speed dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters, upgraded front rotors, different wheels, different springs and a plusher interior with more doo-dads and goo-gahs.

I just got back from a little fun ride. I went past a couple of teens on their bicycles and the one literally screamed "That's an Evolution!!!" to his buddy. It's funny, because I never got any reaction from the local youths when they saw my 911.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Mean looking front fascia.

Great car.  Did you have any hard feelings about giving up the Porche?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice Upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nope. This really is a better car.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. This really is a better car.

The SOB looks downright mean from the front.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
5 speed.. wtf.

It's 2008

(Giving you crap as a former subie owner)
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Looks Euro.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks Euro.

I just wanna know who came out w/ the front end first.  Mitsi or Nissan.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about go check out the new GT-R's front end.

It's the latest fad w/ the jap cars but honestly....the evo and gtr pull it off well.  Flat black is the new chrome.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
When you're ready to mod that baby give me a call.
www.agpturbo.com

We're at 520hp to the wheels on the stock motor right now. It's a darn good time.

Kevin
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When you're ready to mod that baby give me a call.
www.agpturbo.com

We're at 520hp to the wheels on the stock motor right now. It's a darn good time.

i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj206/UMSTuning/evo%20x/AGP-EVOX-500whp-Dynojetstyle.gif

Kevin

Oh my! That trace makes me wish I lived in Arizona.

If I might be so bold: What all have you done to get that kind of power. I am certain it is a tad more than just a tune.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Ha. dont let them fool ya. they used ALOT of NOS!!!

Naw seriously. Ive seen the similar numbers from a single stage turbo on a HOnda S2000. The majority of it is in the AEM stand alone wide band O2 ECU, that and a GOOD tuner. ONe that can get the boost and still run decent A/F ratio.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
nice purchase.......i have the out dated evo 8
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks Euro.

No offense but I think the front looks like ass.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks Euro.

No offense but I think the front looks like ass.

A few examples of the trapezoidal front shape I'm talking about:

European Ford Focus:

Ford Mondeo (Europe):

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If I might be so bold: What all have you done to get that kind of power. I am certain it is a tad more than just a tune.

Intake, exhaust, intercooler+ pipes, walbro pump, 850 injectors, custom BorgWarner S200 turbo on custom manifold with Tial  44.
Then re-tuned ECU.
That's literally it. The car is very very easy to make big power on. You can pick up 100whp on the stock turbo with a few bolt-ons and a tune.

We are at 420whp on 91oct AZ piss water at 21psi.
The 520whp is 30psi C16.
Our turbo is good for another 50whp but we want to keep the rods inside the block a little longer. Stock turbo on the X is just too small. I have a IX and the stock turbo on that is much more reasonable but they gave the X a smaller turbo.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intake, exhaust, intercooler+ pipes, walbro pump, 850 injectors, custom BorgWarner S200 turbo on custom manifold with Tial  44.
Then re-tuned ECU.
That's literally it. The car is very very easy to make big power on. You can pick up 100whp on the stock turbo with a few bolt-ons and a tune.

We are at 420whp on 91oct AZ piss water at 21psi.
The 520whp is 30psi C16.
Our turbo is good for another 50whp but we want to keep the rods inside the block a little longer. Stock turbo on the X is just too small. I have a IX and the stock turbo on that is much more reasonable but they gave the X a smaller turbo.

... Do your guys work any truck turbo systems in your shop?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yapping. Words go here.

... Do your guys work any truck turbo systems in your shop?

We are a manufacturing shop and only wrench on our prototype cars. We might build a custom huge turbo or intercooler for your truck, what year is it? Were you going to go compound or big single? For installs and tuning I'd recommend www.umstuning.com in Mesa.

I think you're just board and figure you want to do something fun. Every month or two you are thinking about getting a different car, and now you want to redneck your truck. Well I go through a lot of cars of all brands and get to play with all sorts of modified cars and so called dream cars. Save yourself the aggravation and go buy a C6. It's truly a world class entry level super car that they sell for half what it's worth. Car snobs around the world who would never allow an American made car in their garage have changed their tunes to make acception for the C6. It has nothing in common with the junk cars that GM puts out. It will make you feel alive every time you drive it and even if you think 'corvette guys' are a joke right now (I use to) you will 'get it' once you own it. Before you know it you'll have the Corvette hat and jacket. You don't need to buy a Z06 but they are nice, but if you get a base model just plan on $4-5k+ in mods right away to get you up to a really fun power level and some bling I-Forged wheels.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I wasn't that impressed with the new design, but it is starting to grow on me.  I just wish I had that kind of change to buy one.   Maybe someday I will win the lottery.  

Where you at in PA?  If you were in Western PA, I would beg you for a ride!!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Engine is mounted transverse?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice Evo. The new body style looks a lot better than the previous generation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Engine is mounted transverse?

Yes. Although, you can't really tell by looking under the hood. In fact, you really can't see the engine at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top