Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2008 6:48:13 AM EDT
I'm looking to take my Trailblazer back to Carmax to get a small (gas mileage) pickup.

I've looked at Tacomas and Frontiers and understand they're pretty reliable.

That being said, a Ford Ranger with less mileage, more features is always less costly.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The Taco, no question.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The Tacoma will make a Frontier it's bitch.  Not even a fair comparison.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
For gas mileage, comparing a Tacoma to a Frontier is like comparing a Civic to a Durango.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Tacoma for the win, but unless you're getting the 2wd 4cyl version, you won't see much milage increase, most 4X4's get barely 18-19 mpg
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Tacoma (I have one).

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Tacoma. Especially if you intend to modify it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
TACO
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Frontier.  The 05+ Taco is They killed off one of the best looking pickups ever built especially the 01'-04' Tacoma.

But in V6 form your not going to save much fuel with either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Toyota, silly question......

Bill
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Frontier.  The 05+ Taco is They killed off one of the best looking pickups ever built especially the 01'-04' Tacoma.

But in V6 form your not going to save much fuel with either.

They're a thing of beauty

I get 17-18 mpg, EPA mileage is 17/19
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
All good replies.

I need a pickup. My new job has me working from home 80% travel 20%. But when I travel my bride will need the pickup to take the trash out to the road, as it's 150yards on kaliche to the road. I do it with my trailblazer, but it's a pain. A pickup would be easier and then she'll be driving approximately 45 minutes one way on her commute, so need the gas mileage.

I'm looking to find the 4 cylinder Tacoma at a Carmax. The trailblazer is financed thru them so it's the best option for us.

Thanks again. I was leaning towards the Tacoma.

Did anyone see Chrysler's offer? $2.99/gallon gas for three years if you buy one of their vehicles!
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Colorado...

Link Posted: 5/7/2008 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Colorado...

I approve.

I wouldn't buy a Chrysler is they gave 99 cent gas for 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Colorado...

They look better and have more room.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't expect to get better gas mileage from either the Tacoma or Frontier.
15-19mpg is about what to expect.

Link Posted: 5/7/2008 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a 1996 Tacoma 2wd 5spd regular cab = 27mpg around town
I currently have a 2003 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 AT = 17mpg around town

My friend has a 2004 Frontier Crew Cab V6 AT 2WD = 17mpg around town

Tacoma FTW!
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 4:01:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tacoma 4 cylinder...not too bad....20/25
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Tacoma 4x4 v6 5spd here, the frontier is not a bad truck either but I prefer the Taco.

17-18 city, 20-22 hwy if I baby it.

I bought a brand new Ranger in '99, 4 cyl, by '01 it had gone through 2 fuel pumps, tranny exploded, and threw a rod even though I had maintained it religiously...I'll never buy another Ford. Also, it got atrocious gas mileage for a 4 banger. YMMV etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed 2WD for over 5 years and 108,000 miles now and have never had one problem with it, even though I've always driven it pretty hard. It has PLENTY of room----both passenger and cargo----and gets about 20 mpg. Though its solely a personal opinion, I've always thought a comparable Tacoma has rather bland styling--------plus Tacoma's are more expensive.
I wouldn't trade my Frontier for all the tea in China. In fact, I have no idea what I'll get when it finally does wear out as I don't care for any of the newer model crew cabs...
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah, there's NO way I'd get a Ranger. Total piece of junk...
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That is crazy...I am getting a steady 15-18mpg with a full size Titan 4X4 with a V8.  

I say screw the little trucks and just go big if they are getting the same mileage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is crazy...I am getting a steady 15-18mpg with a full size Titan 4X4 with a V8.  

I say screw the little trucks and just go big if they are getting the same mileage.

I hear the Honda cute utes get decent mpg's. The small 4x4 trucks just don't do it.
I have an 06 Frontier 4x4, work 8 miles from home, and average 15 to 17 city. Highway on road trip I've gotten 23mpg. I don't do much highway driving though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 04 Frontier with the supercharged motor.  It gets about 15mpg, but has good pickup when you stomp on it.

I have had it in the dealership 3 times.  I never expected it to have so many problems.

Last year it had a transmission leak.  Dealer said they fixed it.  They did not.  Before I could get it back to them the A/C compressor blew.  That time they fixed the A/C and the transmission.

Couple of weeks ago the A/C quit again, and it was sluggish.  I just thought the A/C needed charging.  Took it to a friend who does A/C work. We pop the hood, the belt for the supercharger and A/C was off.  We go to replace it, the pulley for the supercharger is off the shaft.  I took it back to the dealer.  They replaced the supercharger.  I'm guessing there was a TSB on it.

I hope nothing else goes wrong with it, and I know my experience is not the norm.  A lot of people I know have Nissan's and have had few to no problems with them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have had a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed 2WD for over 5 years and 108,000 miles now and have never had one problem with it, even though I've always driven it pretty hard. It has PLENTY of room----both passenger and cargo----and gets about 20 mpg. Though its solely a personal opinion, I've always thought a comparable Tacoma has rather bland styling--------plus Tacoma's are more expensive.
I wouldn't trade my Frontier for all the tea in China. In fact, I have no idea what I'll get when it finally does wear out as I don't care for any of the newer model crew cabs...

Same experience in my 03 4wd, no problems and 18-22 mpg on average for mixed driving with a hightop bed cap.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Taco.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Go test drive both the Tacoma and Frontier and see which you like best.
I think the Frontier rides nicer and handles better and is more comfortable.
They are both good trucks and you probably would not have any trouble with either.
Toyota makes a great product, but as compared to other makes that are as good or nearly as good, Toyotas are overpriced.

Dipper
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Buy a used Taco.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Alright, so I just bought a new truck. We did some extensive test drives with both the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. I agree with the above poster. Drive both, see which one you like. Give them both a fair shake, hit some bumps, stomp on the gas, and go around some corners.

While the Toyota was a good truck, there were some things we didn't like about it. 1) The seating position was cramped, my knee kept hitting the parking break, and the steering wheel was rubbing my legs. I'm a big guy, and I felt out of place in the truck. 2) We drove an SR5 version, used, they wanted $27,000 for it, which is only 1k off the origional sale price. The front suspension was soft, and the hood was very long and flat, it felt like I was driving a motorboat.

We ended up buying a 2008 Frontier Crew Cab V-6, 6MT, 4x4.  We got a smokin deal on it. The downside is, no rear locker. It doesn't have the kind of bells and whistles you'd get with the Taco off road package. The Nismo package we couldn't get with 4-doors and a manual.

To us, once we test drove both, the Frontier was better. Here's why:
Engine: Revs smoother, more torque, sounds and feels better
Road Noise: Even at 80 mph on the interstate, the frontier is very quiet and refined, less noise than the taco.
Suspension: The suspension is both more comfortable and more confidence inspiring in both high and low speed turns.
Interior: While not as fancy looking as the Taco, the materials are more durable, the interior is slightly more spatious, and the parking brake is a normal one. :)
Seating position: You sit higher and more upright in the frontier, and both my wife and I found it to be more comfortable.
Value: This is obvious. I got a great deal on the Frontier, payments are about $100-130 lower than if we had bought the Tacoma. Nissan had some great incentives and they were ready to deal.  Toyota dealership had over 30 new tacos and 30 used tacos, and they wouldn't budge.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#32]
YEP!! what I said!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What did you get?

I didn't....couldn't get the dollars where they need to be. I'll wait a couple of years...
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interior: While not as fancy looking as the Taco, the materials are more durable, the interior is slightly more spatious,

I agree with that for sure. I had an '07 Fronty and now have an '08 Taco. The materials used for the interior are not good in the Taco.

Resale is where you will see the major difference between the two.

Another good thing about the Fronty from what I learned is it is a safe truck, not saying the Toyota isn't because I have yet to be in a wreck with it. My wife got creamed in the Fronty (not her fault) and it took a big side impact and then it sent her into a telephone pole, she walked away with no injuries. Truck was a total loss.

img185.imageshack.us/img185/6494/img1815301ki1.jpg

Interior kept her safe....
img185.imageshack.us/img185/5233/img1802171xf8.jpg

35-40 MPH into a telephone pole.
img185.imageshack.us/img185/5822/img1813281ni5.jpg

I'm glad your wife is okay.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The Tacoma will make a Frontier it's bitch.  Not even a fair comparison.  

HELL yes
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#37]
As a soon to be Taco owner, I'm biased towards the Taco.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What did you get?

I didn't....couldn't get the dollars where they need to be. I'll wait a couple of years...

Stay patient and wait until they bring the small pickups back down to the same size they were 4 years ago and start slapping turbodiesels in them. That's my plan, anyway.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As a soon to be Taco owner, I'm biased towards the Taco.  

Make sure you drive both. You just might happen to like the frontier better, and save yourself thousands of dollars.

Good to see your wife survived the accident. The frontier has oversized side impact tubes in the doors, and has a 5 star side impact crash rating. I'm pretty sure the taco does too.

The fronty only has the 2 front airbags standard, but I'm not really sold on airbags as a safety feature.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
For gas mileage, comparing a Tacoma to a Frontier is like comparing a Civic to a Durango.

This is not true, at all. They are extremely similar in gas mileage. Better get your facts straight.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#42]
The Taco might make the Frontier it's beotch on the strip when you're driving with the seat way back and the bass turned up all the way, but the Frontier is the same as an Xterra with a different body - and those things are absolute mountain goats. If you want off roading ability, the Fronty will make the Taco it's beotch.

Don't even think of posting a rebuttal if you haven't driven an Xterra on a Class VI or worse trail.

And I totally agree with the quiet and comfort of the Frontier. Almost like being in a caddy...

My first truck was a Taco, but I'm a Frontier convert.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Alright, so I just bought a new truck. We did some extensive test drives with both the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. I agree with the above poster. Drive both, see which one you like. Give them both a fair shake, hit some bumps, stomp on the gas, and go around some corners.

While the Toyota was a good truck, there were some things we didn't like about it. 1) The seating position was cramped, my knee kept hitting the parking break, and the steering wheel was rubbing my legs. I'm a big guy, and I felt out of place in the truck. 2) We drove an SR5 version, used, they wanted $27,000 for it, which is only 1k off the origional sale price. The front suspension was soft, and the hood was very long and flat, it felt like I was driving a motorboat.

We ended up buying a 2008 Frontier Crew Cab V-6, 6MT, 4x4.  We got a smokin deal on it. The downside is, no rear locker. It doesn't have the kind of bells and whistles you'd get with the Taco off road package. The Nismo package we couldn't get with 4-doors and a manual.

To us, once we test drove both, the Frontier was better. Here's why:
Engine: Revs smoother, more torque, sounds and feels better
Road Noise: Even at 80 mph on the interstate, the frontier is very quiet and refined, less noise than the taco.
Suspension: The suspension is both more comfortable and more confidence inspiring in both high and low speed turns.
Interior: While not as fancy looking as the Taco, the materials are more durable, the interior is slightly more spatious, and the parking brake is a normal one. :)
Seating position: You sit higher and more upright in the frontier, and both my wife and I found it to be more comfortable.
Value: This is obvious. I got a great deal on the Frontier, payments are about $100-130 lower than if we had bought the Tacoma. Nissan had some great incentives and they were ready to deal.  Toyota dealership had over 30 new tacos and 30 used tacos, and they wouldn't budge.

Good to see another convert. Come join us over at:
Club Frontier

I've been having fun with mine. Too bad the midwest is so flat.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The Taco might make the Frontier it's beotch on the strip when you're driving with the seat way back and the bass turned up all the way, but the Frontier is the same as an Xterra with a different body - and those things are absolute mountain goats. If you want off roading ability, the Fronty will make the Taco it's beotch.

Don't even think of posting a rebuttal if you haven't driven an Xterra on a Class VI or worse trail.

And I totally agree with the quiet and comfort of the Frontier. Almost like being in a caddy...

k
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Drobs...nice truck man!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

k

It's true. I've driven both and the Frontier/Xterra system is one hell of an off-road platform. Tacos can't compete without some serious mods. Just my opinion, of course. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top