Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 11:09:30 PM EDT
What pressure are you running on your sport bike? Cruiser?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What pressure are you running on your sport bike? Cruiser?

What ever it has on the side wall.
If it were a dirt machine, I'd say lower it down to 18-22 lbs.
But on street, I run whatever is on the sidewall.
Who knows better than what the tire mfg. has engineered
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the bike, the tires, and what you are doing with them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
36-38 psi in town

32-34 psi in the twisties
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
OK,

I knew that the pressures were on car tires but I'd not been able find them on my bike tires but after the first post I went back and looked again and I found the info on the OTHER side of the tire.

For my road bike (Venom X's) they say max 50 psi, for my sport bike (Dunlaps) it's 42 psi max.

It's a bitch trying to actually get a gage on to the valves on both of them.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That was very helpful.

Care to expand?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
38 front and rear....all year.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
34f/36r works best on my S3.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I use 36F/42R on my GSXR 1000 with Bridgestone BT014. This is what's listed on the chain guard for this motorcycle/tire recommendation, and I figure it's alright because I don't carry passengers and only weigh about 155.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was very helpful.

Care to expand?

On the street, I will run anywhere from 30/30 at Deal’s Gap, to 34/38 for general riding. At the track I run from 20psi to 30 psi on race tires.

Kirk wrote a good explanation already, but basically, you use tire pressure to control tire temperature. Less pressure means more carcass flex which creates more heat.

Tires have an operating range they are made for, and you want to keep them in that range. If they are too cold they do not develop their potential grip. If you get them too hot they will get greasy and start sliding, and damage the rubber (causing blue and purple oily coloration).

For normal street riding, I would recommend the 5psi method Kirk talked about. If you are too lazy, use the bike’s recommended tire pressures. These should be on a sticker on the bike somewhere, and in the owners manual for sure. They are generally less than the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

On the incredibly rare occasion I ride on the interstate for any length of time (generally  the bike is in the trailer on the interstate), I will inflate the tires to the maximum pressure to decrease wear and try to avoid flat spotting. Just make sure to remember to air them back down for the twisties or you may in for a nasty surprise.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use 36F/42R on my GSXR 1000 with Bridgestone BT014. This is what's listed on the chain guard for this motorcycle/tire recommendation, and I figure it's alright because I don't carry passengers and only weigh about 155.

It was nice knowing you...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember, don't chop the throttle! Lowsides don't hurt nearly as much
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember, don't chop the throttle! Lowsides don't hurt nearly as much

Werd.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pilot powers I run 32/32 on the street, 30/30 on the track when I used them.  Pilot Race was 30 front/21 rear.

Sniperwolf, those pressures will kill ya.  Drop them WAY down.

Seemed kind of high to me, normally I think of anywhere from 30-34 psi as reasonable. I'll play around with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The tire pressure on the sidewall is the tires MAXIMUM pressure- it's not the best pressure- the tire has no idea what kind of bike it's on, or how it's being used.

snip...

quote]

Thanks, that's really the answer I was hoping for.

I knew that the max pressures listed were not the optimum but I just didn't know what parameters I needed looking for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]
On the BT-014 rear I'm running about 10-12 psi! But I launch at about 8 grand if track sticks.  Look in owners manuel fr recomendations would be best
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]
115 psi in 700x23s
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#17]
whoa!!!

Pressures printed on tire sidewall are NOT what you should be running.  Those are maximum pressures, as determined by the tire manufacturer.

If you are running OEM tires on your bike, check manual or the tire pressure label on the rear left side of the frame near the rear tire (usually).  It'll spec both single and two up riding pressures.  These are CONSIDERABLY less than max tire pressure.

I run a stable of 16 bikes (not mine).  Many of them have front tires withe max pressures (on sidewall) of 55 psi or therabouts.  Spec'ed pressures are 29-33.  BIG difference.  I'm not riding hard but even I feel the difference  with improper pressure.

If you are running a different tire than the OEM, check with your manufacturer. Dunlop does a good job of specc'ing pressure for different bikes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#18]
The first thing I needed to do was get a digital tire guage...
Some thing that was repeatable and that I could fit in between the spokes.

I had tried a pop up guage but it just did not show the repeatablity.  I have a dial guage but I couldn't get it onto the stems for the bike. So I bought a digital that I can fit between the spokes and I checked it against my dial guage and they are pretty close.

Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#19]
sidewall markings.

variable on the dirtbike, never exceeding max psi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top