Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2007 3:59:46 AM EDT
Ok, I ran the car out of gas - new fuel pump from last year did not survive (car cranks from fully charged to dead batt, no start, the only thing that 'was done to it' was to run it out of gas ONCE and only ONCE)...

Replacing it PROPERLY at this point is not an option - I have to make a move on Thursday, and that car has to be on a trailer ready to go to Ft Lewis... I am NOT able to get it on a lift, drop the rear end, and drop the fuel tank (in-tank pumps are STU-PID. Whoever came up with that idea should be SHOT) in the time I have left.

So, I'm wondering if there is a 'hack-job' repair that will either (A) get the car running long enough to drive 5mi (home) and onto the trailer, or (b) get it running long enough to put on the trailer...

Specifically, I'm thinking of sticking an in-line 'universal' fuel pump either in front of the fuel filter, or up under the hood, and trying to 'pull fuel through' the dead in-tank unit. On the 'don't-try-this-at-home line, I'd even consider sticking a tube down the filler neck and running it alongside the car to the hood... I need to get this thing running long enough to load it...

Also, does anyone know any 'other' fixes for this problem - is there any way to re-prime or re-start a non-pumping (bone-dry, air-in-the-lines) EFI fuel pump?.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 90 Jeep Cherokee. The fuel pump died on the trail so I wired a in line pump from a Ford in place of the fuel filter. Ran a lead from the battery to a switch inside and then to the pump.

Work so well I didn't bother to get a new pump for a couple months. The inline pump was louder. I still carry it as a spare.

Link Posted: 4/3/2007 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Running your car out of gas kills the fuelpump?  Hmm, that's a new one on me!

Anyway, if it were me, I'd get the trailer as close as possible to the car, then use a winch or come-alongs to get it on the trailer.  Faling that, lash a tire to the front of a truck and give the dead car a good push up the trailer.    Removal at destination by another vehicle and a tow-chain.  

Best of Luck!
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Put some gas in it, and repeatedly whack the fuel tank on the bottom with a hammer while someone cranks. This should free up the pump one time, just don't shut it off or it may not start again.

+1 this works for me a lot of times at the shop.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people have pulled back the carpet and cut an access flap in the rear hatch area to change the pump that way.  Coudn't be too hard to cut into the tank or a fuel line that way though...  I'm sure if you search on some of the camaro boards you could find more info on that.

Dropping the tank is a bitch in these cars.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
did you check the fuses/breakers.  can you get to the wiring for the pump? My sidekicks pump quit working one day so to test if it was the pump or the wires, I ran a hot lead to the pump, reversed polarity so it would spin backwards and hopfully unstick itself, then regular polarity.  It came back to life and has been running a year so far.
You may have sucked some crap off the bottom of the tank and jammed the pump. There is SUPPOSED to be a filter over the intake in the tank to prevent this but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Some people have pulled back the carpet and cut an access flap in the rear hatch area to change the pump that way.  Coudn't be too hard to cut into the tank or a fuel line that way though...  I'm sure if you search on some of the camaro boards you could find more info on that.

Dropping the tank is a bitch in these cars.  

I'm trained as an airframe tech (sheetmetal repair) by the Army...

And the above is exactly what I did... Tossed the car on the car-trailer, towed it to Washington, and once I got to Ft Lewis I cut the hole...

It was the fuel pump, 100% for-sure, because when I put in the pump I bought from the junkyard... I suddenly had a working car again...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top