Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:09:15 PM EDT
Let me start by saying it would be a cosmetic thing- i don't offroad this truck other than occasional pastures and such.  i found a company that makes a 2.5 inch lift by the use of spacers.  I was wanting to see if i would be accelerating wear and tear on anything, or if i was otherwise inviting trouble by doing this.

here's a link

Cornfed Suspension Tundra Lift
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll wear out CVs faster, and I seem to remember that you need to clamp the boots or something with that much lift, it's been a while since I looked into it.

You're better off staying stock, utilize all that R&D Toyota spent designing the suspension, the tundra is a really great handling truck if you don't raise its center of gravity, change the geometry, and muck it up.

You can get excellent ground clearance with a set of 265/75r16s,they fill the wheelwells and look great, and they'll fit without any lift.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
my cousin told me that over 3 inchs and the Body lift will Hurt your truck Is this true?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Body lifts will NOT hurt your truck. They do not alter driveline angles or anything like that. They simply lift the body of the truck (front end/cab and bed) off the frame rails. Any good company will include not only the requisite spacers but things like different/extended mounts for the steering column and other stuff.

The best thing about body lifts is that they're cheap and easy to do. They do NOT alter the stock suspension or geometry, but they do provide added clearance for running bigger tires. (Oh, bigger wheels/tires will accelerate brake wear slightly.)

That said and having had experience with the things, I personally wouldn't opt for one. They leave gaps between the body and the frame that are visible from the side. Cosmetically speaking, that's a big no no and the mark of an off-road wanna-be.

I'm not that familiar with the aftermarket for Tundras, but there's quite a bit of aftermarket support for other Toys so I'm guessing that you could probably get a decent SUSPENSION lift for well under $2000. Not only would it look good and give you added lift, it would also improve off-road handling in your occasional pasture runs.

At the very least, there might be a front-end leveling kit for Tundras that's even cheaper. I know there are kits like that for Fords. Not as involved as a full suspension lift but will still allow slightly larger tires.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Things you gotta watch out for on body lifts is BRAKE LINEs, Electrical and Gas lines that run along the frame rails and then down to their perspective components. with 2-3" lift it MAY not be an issue. You dont wanna scretch any of the lines, etc. That extra play in the brake lines of for suspension travel and articulation over obstacles, when you raise the body your taking up that slack and it may not be there when ya need it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
dunoo about the lifts for the big toy, but Skid Row makes nice lookin' skid plates and the best price i've found is here- Tundra Skid Plates
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top