Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:46:05 PM EDT
I went out to diner tonight and after eating my truck wouldn't start.  It turns over fine, but just won't hit.  My guess is the fuel pump because I didn't hear it running when I turned the ignition.  Of course I am not much of a mechanic, but I do like to fix it myself if possible.  So what says the experts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
We really could use the year, model and stuff.  Usually there is a fuel pump relay on the upper fire wall on older FI models, you might check that.  If that's good, and the fuses that may relate to fuel delivery are good then it's probably the pump.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a 98 Silverado 4wd, 5.7L, 138k miles.  I will go and check the fuses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
GM Vortec engines are very sensitive regarding fuel pressure.  As little as 10 psi too low can cause a no start.  If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, here's a stupid little test to try.  Remove the air intake assembly and spray a shot or two (a little goes a long way here) of starting fluid, brake clean, carb cleaner, whatever you may have on hand, into the throttle body.  Bolt it back up and see if it'll start.  If it runs then quits, you've got a fuel problem.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't see that anything was wrong with the fuses.  I will try some carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Also it coul dbe the ignition module in the distributor. My 92 Sonoma with 4.3V6 (basically your 5.7 with 2 cyl missing. Share many parts) had an issue where every 6 months the module woul djust let go and teh truck died and wouldnt restart. $30 part and 5 min work (take dist cap off, unplug replace and reassemble). Always kept a spare with me with the screwdriver for teh module and cap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I had some Silverado trouble the other day. I parked next to one and when I came back it was gone. But it left a nice big dent in the side of my Dakota. Damn, I hate Silverados. Frickin' idiots.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I swaped the relay with the one in my wifes yukon and still don't hear the fuel pump come on.  It looks like it is probably the fuel pump.  I am welcome to any other suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
notorious fuel pump eaters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I took the bed off and I am now trying to figure out how to get the fuel lines off the old fuel pump.  I got a fuel line disconnect tool at pep boys, but I can't seem to get it to fit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes you can get them started again if you have someone crank the engine while you beat on the fuel tank.  At least it will get the truck home where you can replace the pump.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you use some thing NON sparking to take off the lock ring for the fuel pump so you don't blow up.  I used a brass punch.  I've replaced 2 of these and I dropped the tank out both times, getting the fuel lines off was a pain in the a##, I worked on it with the same brass punch to loosen it up.  Another thing to check if it won't start is the distributor cap if you have one, we had a tahoe that wouldn't start because deposits had built up on the contacts inside the distributor.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine was a failed fuel pump. Took off the bed instead of dropping the tank. Loosen up the fuel line before you take the pump out, easier this way than trying to wrestle with it after its out. Also, make sure you have the same type of strainer and make a note of the orientation of the old one before taking it off so the new one can go back in the tank the same way.

ba
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
All is well now.  Went out this morning and got the fuel lines off in about 2 minutes.  It took a while to figure out how to get the new pump in place with the new oring.  Hooked everything up and works(my wife was surprised).  Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had some Silverado trouble the other day. I parked next to one and when I came back it was gone. But it left a nice big dent in the side of my Dakota. Damn, I hate Silverados. Frickin' idiots.

Yeah? Had some trouble with a chevy blazer last week. Thats what dinged my rt side door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top