Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 2:52:21 PM EDT
With the current gas prices I decided I need something more efficient than my Yukon as a daily driver, and the girlfriend wanted us to have something she could take the new dog around in (Great Pyrenees; still a puppy at 8 months and 70lbs; she'll be around a 100 lbs full grown)., because the dog doesn't really fit in her Saab 93 convertible.

Unfortunately, the gf doesn't drive a stick, so I had to buy an automatic (much to my chagrin) but we picked up a black 2004 WRX wagon today with less than 10k miles, for less than $20k OTD.

So of course I need to start the modfest. I know that some of you have these cars, so any suggestions as to sites to check out or places to start with the mods would be much appreciated. I think I'll call Denny at Mufflex on Monday and see if he can fab up a turbo-back exhaust as the first place to start. Guess an aftermarket uppipe, too.

Don't know much about these cars so I'm looking forward tot spending some time with it.  Need to upgrade the tires and rims; guess the swaybars, too.

So much to do...

David<
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
where in PA are you?

might want to talk to "world racing" in redding...good friends of mine
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Reading is about 45 miles from here.  I'll see if I can dig up info on them.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Modfest? You mean teh ghey-fest, right?

I'm just messin with ya...WRX's haul ass, one of my buddies got clocked doing way more than the limit. It took the cops 2 miles to catch up with him-he wasn't running from them, he didn't even see them. He claimed at one point he was doing 105 in a 35....I forget what he got ticketed for, but he had to pay almost $600
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh No.....

PIMP MY RIDE!!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Serioulsy, the Wagon WRX really is a hoot to drive!  It is best to keep the mods hidden in the best "Q-Ship" tradition and then blow by some unsuspecting poser!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the last car I built will be on the show Pinks on 3/15. It's the one that wins

However, I'm an American Iron kind of guy, so this 4 cylinder turbo stuff is new to me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
um, 1st thing you need to do is post pics.

2nd, teach the woman to drive stick or buy a manual and don't let her drive

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I sell WRX parts let me know what you see.

invidia-usa.com/Products.aspx?CategoryID=4
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
um, 1st thing you need to do is post pics.

2nd, teach the woman to drive stick or buy a manual and don't let her drive

+1. Buying a turbo 4 banger in an automatic just negated a lot of the mods you will do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'm aware that an automatic is not the best choice, but the girlfriend just can't drive a stick, and she needs to be able to drive the "extra" car.

I'm only going to do minor mods on this car. An uppipe, custom turboback 3" exhaust with high flow cats, ECU flash, for power. For suspension, strut tower braces, better sway bars, coil overs, and 18x8 rims with appropriate tires.

should be a realistic 275-290 HP in a fairly light car and acceptable for weekend autox, a road course every now and then (bothwith appropriate tires) and a realistic regular use car for the girlfriend. I used a blown 800 RWD car as a dialy driver for a couple of years; most people wouldn't want to, or be able to, do that.

C'est la vie. if I decide to get serious with cars again I'll buy a 6-speed FRC C5 vette and go crazy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on the purchase. Is that a 2.5 or 2.0? I've got an '06 Legacy GT, I can't remember what block you've got.

Nice mod list, i wouldn't mind doing all of that to mine, but i've only got 4k on the clock ;). I didn't see any brake upgrades in your list?  

Anyhow, this seems to be the most traveled WRX forum:

www.nasioc.com/

Well regarded tuners:

cobbtuning.com/wrx/
www.crucialracing.com/

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm aware that an automatic is not the best choice, but the girlfriend just can't drive a stick, and she needs to be able to drive the "extra" car.

I'm only going to do minor mods on this car. An uppipe, custom turboback 3" exhaust with high flow cats, ECU flash, for power. For suspension, strut tower braces, better sway bars, coil overs, and 18x8 rims with appropriate tires.

should be a realistic 275-290 HP in a fairly light car and acceptable for weekend autox, a road course every now and then (bothwith appropriate tires) and a realistic regular use car for the girlfriend. I used a blown 800 RWD car as a dialy driver for a couple of years; most people wouldn't want to, or be able to, do that.

C'est la vie. if I decide to get serious with cars again I'll buy a 6-speed FRC C5 vette and go crazy.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Congrats on the purchase. Is that a 2.5 or 2.0? I've got an '06 Legacy GT, I can't remember what block you've got.

Nice mod list, i wouldn't mind doing all of that to mine, but i've only got 4k on the clock ;). I didn't see any brake upgrades in your list?  

Anyhow, this seems to be the most traveled WRX forum:

www.nasioc.com/

Well regarded tuners:

cobbtuning.com/wrx/
www.crucialracing.com/

This is the 2.0 block.

I'll  be ordering the ECU programmer from Cobb this week; it really seems to work in terms of adding 33 crank HP, at least it appears so from looking at the dyno info from the NASIOC site.  Fpr the <$700 it's pretty cheap horsepower and will also support the addition of better exhaust and turbo piping.

As far as brakes go, at this point I'll probably just do better pads, braided SS lines, and ATE Super Blue fluid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What kind of mileage did you get with the Yukon?  It looks like even a stock WRX is only getting low 20s unless you drive like an old lady.  I'm considering a WRX wagon myself actually, but I'm averaging 45mpg so that's a hard luxury to give up.  Can you fit a full-size rifle case in the trunk?  I've done some research and found cargo volumes, but never found any hard dimensions.  I'd love to be able to put my 700VSF in a hardcase and put it in the trunk where nobody can see it.  With my golf, I have to fold down the back seat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
My Yukon gets ~ 12 MPG; my first tank with the WRX got me 21 MPG and that was with my foot in it most of the time. A 5 speed would probably do a little better than the A4.

I can fit a soft case in the back, but not my long hard cases (which barely fit in the Yukon).  Also, the cargo cover is an option that this car doesn't have; it does have a modrrately dark tint to the rear windows, however.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
A Cobb Tuning chip/remapped computer -- difference was night and day.

No MPG sacrifice if you drive normally, but huge upside if you hammer it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A Cobb Tuning chip/remapped computer -- difference was night and day.

No MPG sacrifice if you drive normally, but huge upside if you hammer it.

Ordered the Cobb AccessPort programmer today. They have a two week backorder
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn, you guys are tempting me!!! I've heard nothing but great things about the AP, but spending on rifles and the car is damn hard!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Forced induction = good.

Congrats, and DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#18]
www.jdmpartstx.com    .... used to own that site until recently.. you might wanna check it out..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I just so happen to have one in my driveway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Upgrade that turbo! Build up that automatic and it will be handle more power than the standard. I own a dodge srt4 and have a few buddies with wrx's....

shawn
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
#1 Cobb access port #1
#2 Turbo Back Exhaust  (I'm thinking Prodrive or Scoobysport)
#3 Replace up pipe.

I have not done any of the above to mine yet but that is my someday upgrade path.
2004 WRX Wagon
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked up an 03 wrx a little over a year ago for my daily drive. Thing has been a blast to drive too. Even took it up Pikes Peak last year and will again this year for the Hill Climb Event. Anyway, I'm used to the flat 4 design of the 4G63 powerplant in DSM's so this boxer stuff is a royal PITA to me (I am dreading the day I need to replace my spark plugs).

So far I've got 2 of the 3 cats gutted, that one before the turbo, I don't even wanna attempt and a manual boost controller. I'd like to get a turbo-back exhaust for it, and replace the clock with a guage pod for boost and egt guages. Eventually I'd like to throw some STi suspension parts on it and bigger brakes. If you're ever in the market for a bigger turbo, shameless plug here for forcedperformance.net. Check out their FP Green. Badass T3/T4 Hybrid. Give em a call, ask for Amber (tell them matt the wheelhop master sent you).

Good luck with your car!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:16:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I picked up an 03 wrx a little over a year ago for my daily drive. Thing has been a blast to drive too. Even took it up Pikes Peak last year and will again this year for the Hill Climb Event. Anyway, I'm used to the flat 4 design of the 4G63 powerplant in DSM's so this boxer stuff is a royal PITA to me (I am dreading the day I need to replace my spark plugs).

So far I've got 2 of the 3 cats gutted, that one before the turbo, I don't even wanna attempt and a manual boost controller. I'd like to get a turbo-back exhaust for it, and replace the clock with a guage pod for boost and egt guages. Eventually I'd like to throw some STi suspension parts on it and bigger brakes. If you're ever in the market for a bigger turbo, shameless plug here for forcedperformance.net. Check out their FP Green. Badass T3/T4 Hybrid. Give em a call, ask for Amber (tell them matt the wheelhop master sent you).

Good luck with your car!

It's pretty easy to change the plugs actually.. not as bad as you might think.. The pre-turbo up-pipe is way worse!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top