Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 10:40:54 AM EDT
Another US auto parts suppliers goes bankrupt.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186738,00.html

Trading of Dana's stock was halted on the New York Stock Exchange just before the announcement. Shares fell 37 cents to 67 cents Friday before trading stopped. The stock had been as high as $17.03 in the past year.

Might be a good buy if you're a gambler.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Clock is ticking on GM as well. Massive downsizing or massive infusion of government cash? Maybe both? Toyota will be making its bid to be the top dog in auto production this year.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my relatives retired from there awhile back. He took his pension as a lump sum. At the time I thought that was risky, but I guess he knew better.

I guess this is what happens when people continue to buy japanese cars assembled in the US from Japanese steel, parts and components.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One of my relatives retired from there awhile back. He took his pension as a lump sum. At the time I thought that was risky, but I guess he knew better.

I guess this is what happens when people continue to buy japanese cars assembled in the US from Japanese steel, parts and components.

When US auto designs continue to lag far behind in quality & durability, when bloated executive salaries & assembly line worker wages rip the bottom line, when consumers tire of buying a lemon-turd & then have to shovel more $$$ at it to fix what was broken from the factory, or what doesn't stay fixed for very long after leaving the factory, you bet this is what happens.  Go find BenDover's thread about the new POS Ford Escape he's had to dump $$$ on & it's still giving him grief.

The underlying problem isn't unique to the auto industry, just more apparent.  American business is in for it, IMO.  Create an environment where its everyone for themselves, & people lose interest in their employer & just try to get as much as they can before they bail.  Then of course, there's the union entitlement mindset.  big help, that.  Combined w/ a get-it-out-the-door-yesterday mindset, & quality will always suffer, particularly when the competition is turning out quality.  Consequences like this take a while to come to fruition, & by the time they become obvious, the damage is too extensive & the lousy work culture too ingrained to fix quickly or easily.  Bad practices & a sense of entitlement on the part of both management & line workers is ultimately screwing the pooch.

Take a look at a Consumer reports new auto rating mag & peruse the Toyota lineup, then turn to a comparable linieup from Ford or GM, & ask yourself why most of Toyota's line are "recommended" buys, while the Ford & GM might have a couple of recommended products, if even.  I doubt Toyota is paying CR off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When US auto designs continue to lag far behind in quality & durability, when bloated executive salaries & assembly line worker wages rip the bottom line, when consumers tire of buying a lemon-turd & then have to shovel more $$$ at it to fix what was broken from the factory, or what doesn't stay fixed for very long after leaving the factory, you bet this is what happens.  Go find BenDover's thread about the new POS Ford Escape he's had to dump $$$ on & it's still giving him grief.

The underlying problem isn't unique to the auto industry, just more apparent.  American business is in for it, IMO.  Create an environment where its everyone for themselves, & people lose interest in their employer & just try to get as much as they can before they bail.  Then of course, there's the union entitlement mindset.  big help, that.  Combined w/ a get-it-out-the-door-yesterday mindset, & quality will always suffer, particularly when the competition is turning out quality.  Consequences like this take a while to come to fruition, & by the time they become obvious, the damage is too extensive & the lousy work culture too ingrained to fix quickly or easily.  Bad practices & a sense of entitlement on the part of both management & line workers is ultimately screwing the pooch.

Take a look at a Consumer reports new auto rating mag & peruse the Toyota lineup, then turn to a comparable linieup from Ford or GM, & ask yourself why most of Toyota's line are "recommended" buys, while the Ford & GM might have a couple of recommended products, if even.  I doubt Toyota is paying CR off.

I agree with you, but toyotas aren't built any better or more durable. Toyotas have the same cheap shit interiors than a majority of GM vehicles have. They don't last any longer either, in fact how many 15 or even 10 year old toyotas do you see on the road? I don't see many at all, mostly cause their engines have blown all the piston rings and the bodies have rusted to dust. But I still see plenty of 20 year old, albeit poor condition GMs and Fords sputtering along the road and getting in everyones way lol. People complaining about their american car falling apart are idiots. They drive it like its stolen, never do even simple routine maintenance, and then when things start failing they are shocked and amazed. Toyota and Honda on the other hand sucker people in with discounted or even free yearly maintenance packages "bundled" into the cost of the car and overhaul the piece of crap to fix it until the warranty runs out. If you overhauled a Yugo every year it'd run forever too. GM and Fords big losses this year are directly correlated to Exxon-Mobils record 33 billion dollar windfall profits this year. If it wasn't for them price-gouging everyone at the pump, people wouldn't be trading their SUVs (which dominate Ford and GMs sales) for anemic turds wheezing their underpowered 4 cylinders to highway speeds and getting 10 mpg more economy as a result, which is the bread and butter of japanese car makers. $33 billion would be enough to bail out Ford and GM from their budget woes and hopefully have them start designing nice, fast, sporty, efficient V8 vehicles for affordable prices.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They don't last any longer either, in fact how many 15 or even 10 year old toyotas do you see on the road? I don't see many at all, mostly cause their engines have blown all the piston rings and the bodies have rusted to dust. But I still see plenty of 20 year old, albeit poor condition GMs and Fords sputtering along the road and getting in everyones way ....

You list your residence as Missouri.  Do you think that your location might have a little to do with the types of vehicles you see???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top