Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 9:40:15 AM EDT
I have a '04 Toyota Tocoma two wheel drive with an open diff.  Within the next 10,000 miles I'm going to need new tires.  I hope ya'll can give me some ideas on what to use.

I mainly drive on the road.
Half of all my driving is on the highway.
I accasionaly take my truck off roading.  And when I do its goes trough anything I find.
I'm in the south right now, but I might be moveing to Michigan in the winter.  So I would need a tire that does good in the snow and whatnot.

Hope ya'll can help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I just put some BFG AT ko tires on my 84 yota 4x4, I'm pretty pleased so far with them, and they are winter rated.  might work well for you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
BFG A/TTAs are pretty darn good tires for my western driving.  I don't mud much, but for snow, rocks, gravel, and non-gumbo mud they are great tires.  I have found them to be quite tough against rocks, stumps, snags, etc.  

I also think they are good road tires.  Mabe not as good as a Radial Long Trail TA, but I can still corner hard enough to scare me.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the AT BF goodies
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't overlook the Dunlop Radial Rover A/T's.  Good tire for the price.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got Michilin LTX M/S 's on my Crew Cab Taco

I'll buy them again
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you drive? Mud? Sand? highway? dirt road?
Different terrain responds best with different tire types.
Here in Missouri mud is king. Down in Georgia (At least the Columbus area) Sand is what counted.
Remember that heavier lugged tires will be noisier, Snow tires are a compromise (and not much needed in AL as far as I remember) Street tires might help mileage but will get you stuck easier etc.
Good luck!
BTW, I have bought all of my tires in the last few years at www.tirerack.com, prices are good and since I can mount and balance them at work.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
+1 on the AT BF goodies

I had some AT BFG 32 X 11.5 on my suburban and I was surprised at how quiet they were.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Well.  It looks like the BFG AT kos are out of the question.  They don't have my size.  I'm looking into the other ones that are mentioned.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out the various tires at www.tirerack.com

I have an '01 Taco Double Cab 4x4 that needs new shoes. I'm going with Firestone Destination A/Ts. They are reasonably priced and get rave reviews.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got Michilin LTX M/S 's on my Crew Cab Taco

I'll buy them again

I have got them on my F350 and would buy them again also...  If I weren't moving north.  Michelins don't last as well in the northern climates as many other tires...  Just been my experience.

Get the BFG  AT's.  I have them on the Cherokee and would run them again...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Those of ya'll that use tirerack.com, do you trust the surveys?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I sell tires for a living, and they seem to be fairly accurate...  But nothing will ever beat personal experience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, these tires can do it all. They are very quiet and ride great on the highway. Both dry and wet pavement handling is outstanding and they perform very well off road. I take my 4wd to Moab every year and have never had an issue with traction except in deep sand going uphill. Only downside I have found is they get noisy on the highway around 30,000 miles. Available at tirerack.com (you can also read customer reviews there.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Might check into Cooper tires,  I have their  Discoverer ATR, these have allmost 14000  highway miles on em.

FRONT

REAR

They work great in snow or mud.

Dicoverer ATR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top