Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 7:09:07 AM EDT
I have a 2003 Explorer, relatively low mileage (25k). Every once and awhile it gives off that telltale sulfur smell and the gas gauge will not rise to "full" when the engine is cold and it has recently been gassed up. I had the dealership look at it (since it's under warranty) and they said I need to get my gas elsewhere. I usually buy it at any one of 5 local stations (different owners) and I always buy 87 octane (well, what can I say except it's cheaper, the thing guzzles and I don't need "performance" out of a truck. Hubby says because I don't do alot of highway travel the sufur smell is caused by all the short trips.

I'm just concerned. Should I be?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been told that the sulfur smell can be caused by a bad catalytic converter.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have kids?? If so check under the carpets for stink bombs

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been told that the sulfur smell can be caused by a bad catalytic converter.

+1 although on a 2 year old vehicle that shouldn't be a concern.
If you do mostly stop and go city driving..you need to take it on a good long drive on the highway and blow the carbon out of it. Put a higher octane gas in it and go for a good spin. When I do it I hit the bottom of hills going slower then the speed limit (2 lane highway) and when I start up the hill I flatten the go pedal until I reach the speed limit and slack off.  If there isn't a lot of traffic I'll slow down and do it again. It's the only method I could come up with that puts a load on the engine without breaking any laws. It does the trick as my car always runs better after and you should notice a change in your mileage.

OK...That's what the dealership said. And Hubby too. I just am worried about the converter (had an older Buick with the same symptoms many years ago and that one needed a converter replacement...OUCH!!!)
I took a part in a play 30 mins highway travel away...rehearsal 3x/week. Let's see if that doesn't get that smell outta there...

As far as the gas gauge, (which hubby did not concur with the dealership on) can the combo of gas/cold make it stick> THAT worries me...I NEED to know my level!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm no mechanic..(and I've never played one on tv) but it doesn't make sense to me how low octane gas and a carbon build up would affect your gas gauge.
I've seen some gauges that take a long time to reach the full mark..my wifes Rav4 is one.
How long does it take to reach the full mark?
Did it just start happening? Does the gauge fluctuate at all or just won't reach full?

It happened once last winter when the temp dropped to -7 and I was on fumes (I know...I KNOW). Sat overnite in an insulated and fully walled up garage, started fine, pulled in to a gas station. Filled her up and the damn thing stayed on "E." It sayed there until a coupla errands later (frequent short on/offs).

Then, I filled up this winter and it was after she'd been sitting for 5 hours cold (no garage) at say 36 degrees (not too cold considering) and I filled it...no move-ie the gaug-ie. I stopped at a store. Re-started. No move. Went to a friend's house. No move. Now I am pissed. Left her overnite in the garage. Started next day and it shows 1/2 tank. Several hours later, it finally hits full.
Seems to be a "cold" thing...

WTH?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Striker was on the money with his advice, you do need to get her out on the Hwy a litttle.

As far as the fuel gauge, there could be a few causes; A bad gauge, a bad sending unit(in the tank part of fuel pump assy.), or too much resistance in the sending unit wire.

I don't see a lot of gauges go bad, most of the time it's the sending unit, followed by wiring.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Catalytic converter.
But don't worry it is covered under warranty. Federal law made all manufacturers cover all emissions related components for 50,000 miles. If they give you any trouble consult with your local highway patrol office to file a complaint. That is guaranteed to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top