Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:40:23 AM EDT
Ok guys I'm about to get a 6" suspension lift for my Avalanche.

Thinking either Fabtech or RCD..

Anyone here get deals on either one of these lifts???????
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, I couldn't believe I missed these forums.... I haven't been to any of the other section of this website besides the General discussion area.

I highly recommend , CST hands down followed by FT (full throttle), stay away from fabtech.

I believe they make a 9-12" kit for your truck, why settle for a 6"?

Imho, a 6" kit is not that high, minimum is at least 11" lift.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Anyone here get deals on either one of these lifts???????

PM or email me, I have a buddy up in CA who sells all kinds of lift kits..... I still recommend a CST kit though, I've installed CST, Doetsch Tech, Fabtech on my buddies rigs and the CST suspension lift doesn't break under extreme offroading unlike the Fabtechs. The Fabtech folks are a bunch of cool people though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dude, I couldn't believe I missed these forums.... I haven't been to any of the other section of this website besides the General discussion area.

I highly recommend , CST hands down followed by FT (full throttle), stay away from fabtech.

I believe they make a 9-12" kit for your truck, why settle for a 6"?

Imho, a 6" kit is not that high, minimum is at least 11" lift.

I'm not a big fan of the overly raised trucks.  6 is as high as I want to go and still have thetruck functional.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You gonna install it yourself or have a shop put it on?

I've lifted a few vehicles myself, one in an apt complex parking lot over the weekend.

If you do it yourself, be sure to have a spare vehicle to go get extra parts that you will need. You will need them. Even full kits will never have everything you need. BTDT many times. Remember specialty tools you need.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You gonna install it yourself or have a shop put it on?

I've lifted a few vehicles myself, one in an apt complex parking lot over the weekend.

If you do it yourself, be sure to have a spare vehicle to go get extra parts that you will need. You will need them. Even full kits will never have everything you need. BTDT many times. Remember specialty tools you need.

I will definately have a shop put it on.  I don't have the knowledge nor the tools to do it myself.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO the full throttle super high style lifts are cool, but I just don't trust that your IFS will like it for very long. I've never had one but I've heard nothing but horror stories in various internet forums.
The CST kit is way cool. It's the only 6" kit I know of that uses a 1 peice sub frame assembly (for strength) similar to Rancho. It come with a higher price tag. RCD makes a very good kit as well, better than Fabtech. My Tahoe has a 6" Skyjacker "No destruction" kit and I love it. It is easily put back to stock but requires a re-weld to do so. No grinding and cutting of the differential housing is necessary which is a HUGE plus if you ever want to return the truck to stock form.

I posted a pic of my truck here in this forum on Friday. Since I am too lazy to post a link right now, just search my posts and you'll find it. I think it was titled "new member...here's my truck" or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
i just got a 6" pro comp kit for my 98gmc 3/4 ton, have to wait till the spring to install though.  i got it cheap through 4wheelparts.  they had inv reduction sale and free freight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
... Tuff Country

... Been 100% satisfied with mine

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have a good website for Westin or Smittybilt step bars??

Looking to outfit the truck with black step bars, a black grille guard and taillight guards.

Cabelas has a sale on smittybilt grille guards right now for 399.99 and they include free tailight guards.. Not a bad price.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Anyone have a good website for Westin or Smittybilt step bars??

... Have you looked into "Side Trax"? I installed a set on my truck and they seem very durable and sturdy.

www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/Longtek_side_trax_bars.asp

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Well found a good place and a great price so on Friday the truck goes in and will come out witha 6" RCD lift.

Can't wait!!!

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not a big fan of the overly raised trucks.  6 is as high as I want to go and still have thetruck functional.

I surely understand where you're coming from, 6" is good enough and still allow you to go wheeling, what size tires are you planning on putting in it?

and check your PM, I have included my email address, don't surf the net much these days, been extremely busy....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
... Tuff Country

www.suspensionconnection.com/suscon/images/items/16985_LG.gif

Winston_wolf,

Do you have to install a set of new ball joints on those?

Who makes the lift spindles?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Tuff Country

www.suspensionconnection.com/suscon/images/items/16985_LG.gif

Winston_wolf,

Do you have to install a set of new ball joints on those? No, I used a carrier bearing drop

Who makes the lift spindles?

... No, that image was for his truck (I think), this is mine, no lift spindle @ 4.5"

... I get 2" of my 6.5" total lift from the 37" tires

... My kit:
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Winston_wolf,

How often do you align the front end? I installed a 2" leveling kit, CST rubber coil spacers for a buddies truck and we had to re-do his alignment almost every 5k miles.... remember these are the rubber ones though not the poly-urethane. After 2 re-alignments this year, I told him to get a lift coils instead, it should maintain alignment.

Nice truck man.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Well thought I woud post an update.

Thanks for all the information and help guys.. In the end I went with a 6" RCD lift with 17" Pro Comp wheels with 35/12.5 Pro Comp X-Terrains

Doesn't she look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Sweet truck man..  and the beadlocked wheels looked good on it, what size tires are those?

My advice,  do not install a step bar, it'll look higher without it and remove that front license plate for a cleaner looking front end.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sweet truck man..  and the beadlocked wheels looked good on it, what size tires are those?

My advice,  do not install a step bar, it'll look higher without it and remove that front license plate for a cleaner looking front end.

35x12.5, per his post.

Nice looking truck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL, I must have missed his post... went straight to looking at the photos..

Thanks for the info.

35's are decent size tires ,  what gear ratios are you running on that truck? if you plan to run it on stock gears for awhile, I suggest turning off overdrive and don't drive the rig over 65-70MPH. Also, check your trans fluid every week for signs of overheating.

and most of all,  congrats on taking a step in lifting it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LOL, I must have missed his post... went straight to looking at the photos..

Thanks for the info.

35's are decent size tires ,  what gear ratios are you running on that truck? if you plan to run it on stock gears for awhile, I suggest turning off overdrive and don't drive the rig over 65-70MPH. Also, check your trans fluid every week for signs of overheating.

and most of all,  congrats on taking a step in lifting it.

I'm looking at changing out the gearing but I don't have the 1200 people want to do change out.. I'll change them out pretty soon though.

ETA:  Thanks for kind words.. I can't wait to take it out in the mud today!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Goback, look around your area, maybe someone can do it for $500 make sure they are reputable though.

If you break down the cost of parts, it'll go like this:

1. ring and pinion (gears) = around $200
2. gear oil = $30

total parts cost should be around $250.

It's a 6 - 8 hour job....

If you are in OKC, I can install it for the price of a six pack...

What you do right now, is change your transmission oil, nothing special just the standard fluid change and if you're on surface streets, drive with the overdrive off.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy that newly lifted rig.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Goback, look around your area, maybe someone can do it for $500 make sure they are reputable though.

If you break down the cost of parts, it'll go like this:

1. ring and pinion (gears) = around $200
2. gear oil = $30

total parts cost should be around $250.

It's a 6 - 8 hour job....

If you are in OKC, I can install it for the price of a six pack...

What you do right now, is change your transmission oil, nothing special just the standard fluid change and if you're on surface streets, drive with the overdrive off.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy that newly lifted rig.

WOW!! I talked to two places that quoted 1000 - 1200 for the gear change.. Thought I was going to pass out.

What brand/company do you recommend for gears?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd go with Richmond gears.

Do you plan to run a different size tires in the future?

I'd recommend a 4.56 gear ratio for your truck.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

WOW!! I talked to two places that quoted 1000 - 1200 for the gear change.. Thought I was going to pass out.

What brand/company do you recommend for gears?

That's about what Jeepers expect, $1000 to change it.  

888's prices look about right... per axle.  You've got 2.  $500/axle is about right.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Doesn't she look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... that's badass man!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
All I see is red X's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top