Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:23:34 PM EDT
..and what the fuck is wrong with people!!!????? How in the fucking world did they expect that kind of work to even pass inspection from a blind man!!!!!?????

OK. My car got hit in the parking lot. Front rt q panel and door and rear q panel damaged. The fron q panel doesnt line up with the fascia and the hood. I could stick my finger in the space between the panels!!!

The manager says "We tried to get it to line up but it just wouldnt line up." I looked him in the eye and said "This is a body shop right? Isnt that what you do here? Make bent cars look like new?"

There is overspray on the facia/bumper part from where they painted the hood. There is bad paint on the front q panel. There is still bondo on the rocker o=under the rear q panel. He says its primer and I said ''I aint never seen bright blue primer on a red car and I was at the shop on Thursday and it had grey primer on it then''. He says "I dont know how the detail guy missed that stuff."

"Because the car wasnt detailed. It still has mud and masking tape on the rocker panel. This is unacceptable. It's just shit work and I hope it's the worst you shop puts out. "

I honestly cant believe how the most rookie apprentice would even let that shit out of the shop! It was unfucking believable!!!

"We tried to get it to line up but it just wouldnt line up.""
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
so what happened?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What body shop is it and where so we can spread the word on what sorry work they do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so what happened?

So he told me he would fix it and he would pay for the rental if Allstate wont. I have pics of the accident damage but none of the "repair". I'll try to get accident pics up tomorrow.

But really why I'm ranting is not what happened but that anyone could actually let it happen. It was un fucking believable. A GM dealership body shop saying "we tried to get it to line up but we couldnt".

Uh, excuse me. You are a body shop and getting body parts to line up is actually what you guys do.

It was honestly the most junior job I have ever seen. I would expect better from a guy in his back yard.

I am not the complainer type and I realize this is a 95 but come on. It wasnt even close to right. I'm pissed now and it better be perfect when I go back and I mean perfect, not one blemish or orange peel or anything or I am going to scream bloody murder!

It was Buddy Foster Chevrolet on SR54 outside of Zephyrhills.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
And you're probably going to have to go to another damn body shop to fix it...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats why I dont take mine there, drive it with the damamge.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When you see the pics you'll see that was impossible. Besides, the accident wasnt my fault.

ETA: And this aint a crap car like you drive, it's a nice car.

Look at the right bumper q panel junction on your left. It lines up just fine.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's IIRC what my mom did after her '85 Ford Tempo got backed into by, of all vehicles, a Salvation Army truck.

Bought a new headlight and just drove the car like that.  Nothing really bad mechanically occured because of the accident, but the car did blow its trans two years later.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]

A GM dealership body shop saying "we tried to get it to line up but we couldn't".

From what I've seen, all GM dealers are that bad.

The trucks and vans at work get banged-up a lot, and since our customers complain when we park them in front of their business when they look like they've been through a war zone, we've started repairing all of the  problems.   We've tried all 12 of the 14 Chevy dealers within 45 miles. Not a one of them seems to even try.  We've probably used 7 of the 12 for body work, and all of the rest for mechanical stuff.  They are pitiful.

I'm now using a 15 year-old kid to do all of our body and some of our mechanical work.  I'm friends with his great-grandfather who owns a junk yard and body shop.  His great-grandfather is too sick to work now, and the kid kinda took over.  He does a much better job and is faster than the large local Chevy dealer.  He's just a kid.  He doesn't even have his drivers license yet.  He has to test drive the vehicles in the field behind the shop.  The kid does better work than the GM professionals.  GM should be ashamed of themselves.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Too many people have no pride in their work, all they worry about is the bottom line.
Why don't you talk to the owner of the dealership about quality and pride, and see what he says?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Pooby, do you have any close-up pix? Cause either my eyes are bad, or I can't tell anything.  
Edit-post lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The local Ford/Dodge dealership has screwed over my mother more times than I can count.

For instance:  She took her 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 to get the brakes checked, after I noticed that they felt funny.  I didn't really think much of it at the time.  Ford thought the brakes were fine, from an inspection that never took the wheels off the hubs.  You can do that with the backs (squeal means new shoe time), but not the front.

Fast foward two weeks.  I have just gotten through driving an exact copy of the truck owned by my friend.  Damn thing may be gutless, but it stops on a dime.  Mom's truck takes almost 3 times the distance.  I told her in no uncertain terms that her truck was NOT TO BE DRIVEN unless it was a one way trip to the dealership.  After her protesting for an hour, they "indulged" her and took the drum off.  The entire brake assembly and pads crumbled and fell into the drum.

It has since done this again, but not as severe.  The reason she keeps taking it there:  Its under warranty.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]
There came a time in my old pickup's truck life where I gave up on body shops

check out the side panel behind the rear wheel

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
..and what the fuck is wrong with people!!!????? How in the fucking world did they expect that kind of work to even pass inspection from a blind man!!!!!?????

OK. My car got hit in the parking lot. Front rt q panel and door and rear q panel damaged. The fron q panel doesnt line up with the fascia and the hood. I could stick my finger in the space between the panels!!!

The manager says "We tried to get it to line up but it just wouldnt line up." I looked him in the eye and said "This is a body shop right? Isnt that what you do here? Make bent cars look like new?"

There is overspray on the facia/bumper part from where they painted the hood. There is bad paint on the front q panel. There is still bondo on the rocker o=under the rear q panel. He says its primer and I said ''I aint never seen bright blue primer on a red car and I was at the shop on Thursday and it had grey primer on it then''. He says "I dont know how the detail guy missed that stuff."

"Because the car wasnt detailed. It still has mud and masking tape on the rocker panel. This is unacceptable. It's just shit work and I hope it's the worst you shop puts out. "

I honestly cant believe how the most rookie apprentice would even let that shit out of the shop! It was unfucking believable!!!

"We tried to get it to line up but it just wouldnt line up.""

I had the same prob in another state.  Fu@#$g Unbelievable...
A bunch of degenerates!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you see the pics you'll see that was impossible. Besides, the accident wasnt my fault.

ETA: And this aint a crap car like you drive, it's a nice car.

Look at the right bumper q panel junction on your left. It lines up just fine.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40467

Mine was nice but after the 4th time it was messed up in a year I quit caring.  

I fixed mine good enough to work for awhile, then messed with it more, might work on dents more when it warms up.

Those werent my fault either, I just pocketed the cash.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Too many people have no pride in their work, all they worry about is the bottom line.
Why don't you talk to the owner of the dealership about quality and pride, and see what he says?

Thats where I'm going if isnt done right this time. The guy who hit me actually works at this dealership as service tech. (he was off work at the time) I'm going to go to him too and see if I can get the push from the other side going.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
My Ford got hit in the front fender but I just applied touch up paint and left it as is. Cars are meant to be worn down and used. My 00 is already starting to rust on the underbody, and I take good care of it too. I'm just going to buy the cheapest car in the future and throw it out after a few years. Don't bother changing the oil or fluids and just run it until it dies.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a pic of the damage. It could not be left this way, the only thing holding the door panel on is the duct tape.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of the damage. It could not be left this way, the only thing holding the door panel on is the duct tape.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12631&iGalleryUnq=2042&iImageUnq=43905

It's probably your baby and all, but IMHO I would have just driven my car like that. It would reduce the chance of theft and you can park closer to the stores and stuff. It can't get any worse.

Good luck with getting it fixed right... I've never seen/driven a car that was fixed properly after an accident. They all seem to change for the worse after an accident.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12631&iGalleryUnq=2042&iImageUnq=43905

Ok yea that needed to be kinda fixed
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Any good body shop should have no problem putting a damaged car back to "like new" condition.  If somone with an untrained eye can tell it's been repaired....take it back and tell them to do it right.  It really isn't that hard to do it right the first time.  

If they can't repair it to your standards, make them pay for a place that can meet your standards.  

It should look like it's never been repaired.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Any good body shop should have no problem putting a damaged car back to "like new" condition.  If somone with an untrained eye can tell it's been repaired....take it back and tell them to do it right.  It really isn't that hard to do it right the first time.  

If they can't repair it to your standards, make them pay for a place that can meet your standards.  

It should look like it's never been repaired.

These guys have repaired my car twice before, exact same damage and did a good job then. New manager I think, probably new employees too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#24]
ive never delt with dealership body shops. Ive always taken it to a single privately owned shop in my area.
Ive had nothing but spectacular results from them too.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duct tape is good enough for NASCAR...

I'd agree with you Striker if Pooby here was driving a '79 Ford LTD, but he's driving a '95 Firebird, and he seems to care about his car.  I'm not trying to start shit but I don't think duct-taping a car is a good idea if you're trying to make your car presentable.  IMO, YMMV.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Majority of the time, stuff doesn't line up for us either. We just take the extra step to make sure it does, where as those guys apparently don't.

Chances are that they gave you an estimate. They used up all of their profitable time, and the manager or the employees decided they needed to get it just good enough that they could still make a decent chunk of change after pay roll and supplies.

Insurance companies also play a big role in bad work. They want something done for this cheap and no more, so the body shop guys usually end up giving out many free hours while still only giving it 75%.

This is obviously a case of shotty body work. Leaving bondo is quite a big mistake, almost to the point of complete incompetence. I would suggest not taking it to this dealer any more.

Go find a body shop that isn't the cheapest, which appears to have the most experience. Avoid the big shops as they usually do the shittiest work. Don't take your car to a place where some kid on his high school lunch break is the one painting either.

When you find a good body shop, stick with it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Majority of the time, stuff doesn't line up for us either. We just take the extra step to make sure it does, where as those guys apparently don't.

Chances are that they gave you an estimate. They used up all of their profitable time, and the manager or the employees decided they needed to get it just good enough that they could still make a decent chunk of change after pay roll and supplies.Not even close to good enough. Anyone who thought that would pass even a blind guy's inspection is on crack.

Insurance companies also play a big role in bad work. They want something done for this cheap and no more, so the body shop guys usually end up giving out many free hours while still only giving it 75%.See my comments below.

This is obviously a case of shotty body work. Leaving bondo is quite a big mistake, almost to the point of complete incompetence. Not almost. I would suggest not taking it to this dealer any more.Not gonna happen.

Go find a body shop that isn't the cheapest, which appears to have the most experience. Avoid the big shops as they usually do the shittiest work. Don't take your car to a place where some kid on his high school lunch break is the one painting either.

When you find a good body shop, stick with it.

I understand what you're saying but I worked as a bike mechanic for nearly twenty years and I did TONS of insurance estimates and repairs. I knew damn well the adjuster would come in and scrutinize my estimate with a fine tooth comb and axe some of my stuff or offer betterment to the owner.

I knew how to deal with that and as flat rate mechanic I never got burned and I loved insurance repairs.

Here's what I did:

I didnt just put down: Re and re left fairing and brackets .5 hrs.

I wrote: Replace left fairing .5 hrs. Replace left upper bracket .1 hrs, replace left lower bracket .1 hrs, replace left fairing hardware .2 hrs.

At the end of every single estimate I wrote: Additional damage may be noticed or repairs may become necessary after removal of body panels and futher inspection during actual repair.

I wrote every single screw and bolt on the estimate and put .1 hrs labor, the minimum charge. That way, if they called any betterment or denied repairs my ass was covered. I made bank on insurance claims and my bikes went out straight. No comebacks.

I've had two repairs done by these guys and they were good. This work was beyond crappy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

A GM dealership body shop saying "we tried to get it to line up but we couldn't".

From what I've seen, all GM dealers are that bad.

The trucks and vans at work get banged-up a lot, and since our customers complain when we park them in front of their business when they look like they've been through a war zone, we've started repairing all of the  problems.   We've tried all 12 of the 14 Chevy dealers within 45 miles. Not a one of them seems to even try.  We've probably used 7 of the 12 for body work, and all of the rest for mechanical stuff.  They are pitiful.

I'm now using a 15 year-old kid to do all of our body and some of our mechanical work.  I'm friends with his great-grandfather who owns a junk yard and body shop.  His great-grandfather is too sick to work now, and the kid kinda took over.  He does a much better job and is faster than the large local Chevy dealer.  He's just a kid.  He doesn't even have his drivers license yet.  He has to test drive the vehicles in the field behind the shop.  The kid does better work than the GM professionals.  GM should be ashamed of themselves.z

and really people wonder why other people are buying toyotas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top