Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 11:50:07 AM EDT
So the old Jeep is probably getting sold because of various problems.  I need a new vehicle.  4WD is a must.  Four doors and enough room for two car seats (I have two kids)  is a must.  I'd like something that gets decent gas mileage and doesn't cost too much.  I'm thinking about a Chevy Colorado but I'm open to suggestions.  What do you think?  Pros and cons of the Colorado are open topics, or if you have another suggestion I'd like to hear it and YOUR REASONING!  Must give me info, not just a car type.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So the old Jeep is probably getting sold because of various problems.  I need a new vehicle.  4WD is a must.  Four doors and enough room for two car seats (I have two kids)  is a must.  I'd like something that gets decent gas mileage and doesn't cost too much.  I'm thinking about a Chevy Colorado but I'm open to suggestions.  What do you think?  Pros and cons of the Colorado are open topics, or if you have another suggestion I'd like to hear it and YOUR REASONING!  Must give me info, not just a car type.  Thanks.

Off the top of my head IIRC the made a new motor for that truck line doing away with the 4.3 LTR Vortec which was a/is a hell of a good motor. Check it out I think the new motor may be a little underpowered depending on your needs.
As odd as this may sound I have been eyeing the Subaru line along with the Mercedes little SUV also the Volvo X70. I currently drive a 1/2 ton 02 Chev PU and was looking for better milage and still want 4/all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'd go Toyota namely for build quality and longevity.  Also higher resale.

Con of the Colorado....well, its a Chevy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
SWS has a Colorado...albeit it is a "extended" cab and not a crew.  I think it's a nice little truck, but a Tacoma would be better-better quality, resale value, etc.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to hear anything good about the Colorado. It uses a 5-cylinder engine that's supposed to be a dog and gets horrible gas mileage. [YMMV, this is just hearsay from the few people I know that have 'em.]

I strongly reccomend the new Tacoma CC. Far superior to the Colorado in every respect...although it is more expensive, it's worth it if you plan on keeping it.

I myself have an '03 Taco, x-cab, TRD 4x4 and it has been the best truck I've ever owned bar none [and I've owned 'em all at one point].

A good friend just bought an '06 CC Taco, and let me tell you, it is the cat's ass. 245 horses/21 mpg in the city [according to him]. Much improved over the last model, and that's saying something. Bigger, too...almost as big as the current Tundra, in fact, so it should serve you well with the kiddos.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a 05 chevy colorado ext cab ZQ8 with the 3.5L I-5 and I have to say I LOVE it.  It gets about 21-25 MPG depending on how you drive it.  The I-5 comes with 220hp and has a nice pickup for the size of the motor.  And its a midsize so look for alot more head and foot room than an S-10 but not quite as much as a full size.  Considering they don't make the S-10 any more (which is my previous truck) it is a very nice replacement.  Most reviews knock it because of its lack of horsepower to compete with the new frontier and tacoma V-6's with more HP, but I like it cause of its style and gas milage.  Heres some pics of it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/zjm7290/truck3.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/zjm7290/truck2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/zjm7290/truck1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
ive always been a chevy guy but i would pass on the colorado.

i would look at the Nissan Frontier first, then go from there...YMMV
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I checked out the Frontier online, they have a "Nismo" edition, and also have a 6 speed manual tranny available.

I'm not looking though, but I look at cars because I am just a car head!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Tacoma or Frontier.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top