Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 1:59:49 PM EDT
 I'm currently looking for a new vehicle.  I want a 4x4 that could also serve as a BOV.  This automobile doesn't have to be that large, in fact, I would prefer a smaller car.  By large, I mean like an F250 or something heavy duty like that.  I want to get a diesel vehicle and run it on biodiesel so that I'm finally free from high gas prices.  While I'm on the subject of fuel, I would like a vehicle that gets reasonable miles to the gallon.  It doesn't have to get 50 mpg but I'm also not interested in something that gets something like 15 mpg.  I'm not picky as far as the make is concerned, but everybody in my family drives a Toyota so that's what I lean towards.  In my experience, Toyota might as well mean "quality and cost efficiency" in Japanese.  Considering these conditions, I'm thinking about getting a Toyota Land Cruiser.  I would either go for the 40 or 70 series.  Whichever I get, it will be one of the jeep styled vehicles.  My problem is that I've never had any experience with these cars.  Have any of you guys had experience with them?  What did you think?  What did you like and dislike?  If you feel that I could be more wisely spending my money on a different vehicle then please tell me so.  But if you feel that way, please explain why you think your pick is a better choice.  Please don't just start naming vehicles without telling me why.  Thanks in advance for any input that you might have.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The first vehicle I owned was a 72 FJ-40.  Its one of the few that I regret getting rid of.  Gotta be one of the toughest rigs ever!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely love any FJ series Toyota, but -
In a true BO, I would rather have a vehicle that isn't reliant on older/hard to find parts.

What about a 4Runner?
Plentiful parts, a bit more accesssible aftermarket, reasonably efficient...

FJ's still have too much "collector/retro" value attached to them, whereas the PU/Runner market isn't so much.

Granted, most of it's life will be spent as a more recreational vehicle where this might not be a concern,
But unless you chuck some Chevy power in there, parts could  become an issue?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've driven FJ-40s and owned an FJ 80.  Either way, you're looking at 16 mpg at best.  Those engines are very heavy, designed to run forever and have lots of torque.  Fuel efficient they are not.  

I would recommend an early 4Runner or pickup with camper shell ( I'm currently running a 93 pu w/shell).  I'm getting the FJ Cruiser next year, subject to a hands on look, as it is pretty ugly, but appears to meet my off road requirements.  If it doesn't, then I'll get a new loaded Tacoma.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
4Runners are something that I'll have to look into.  Do they come in diesel? Diesel has to be one of the most important things that I will be looking for in a car.

Omar: Is that really the case?  I was reading on ebay that a guy was selling his '79 BJ40 and he was advertising that it was getting 30 mpg.  Is he just b/s'ing?

Thanks for the input guys.  Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Drove one from Panama City Panama to the end of the Pan-American Highway and back, Loved it, Older is better IMNSHO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
i had a 75 FJ-40 for awhile. the old straight 6 was a little tired so i replaced it with a throttle body injected 305 and a 5speed out of a wrecked 1990 chevy truck. straight forward swap with a kit. and once i switched to locking hubs in the front i could get ALMOST 20mpg. stop laughing, its true.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Omar: Is that really the case?  I was reading on ebay that a guy was selling his '79 BJ40 and he was advertising that it was getting 30 mpg.  Is he just b/s'ing?

I don't know if the diesel was ever imported into the U.S., although I saw one at a 4WD race.  30 mpg sounds high, in any event and they're probably not here in any great quantity.

I get 21-24 mpg with my 22RE engine and I've taken this truck way into the desert in stock form.  It is also my 11th Toy 4WD.  Stay away from radical mods an keep it basic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I get 13 HWY with my 96 FZJ80.  

The 40s are here, there are parts for 'em, but they aren't cheap. .Are you traveling alone? Because the 40s are just like the TJs--small inside with little cargo room.  I don't think i've ever seen a 70 in person. I'd be wary of parts availability of that one.

As for a diesel, I think every other country that imported 'cruisers got the diesel option EXCEPT the US. There are companies like Man-a-Fre that offer the swap for the 80 series trucks. They are factory Toyota, but who'll work on it if it breaks down? Spare parts availability might also be challenging.

While i love my cruiser, it sounds like you'll be well served with a tacoma.

www.ih8mud.com seems to be the definitive TLC site.

www.btbprod.com
www.lcool.org
www.coolcruisers.com
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the Tacoma come in diesel?  I've done a few searches through google and haven't come up with anything.  If it does, how common are the diesel vehicles and about what years were they produced?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Does the Tacoma come in diesel? I've done a few searches through google and haven't come up with anything. If it does, how common are the diesel vehicles and about what years were they produced

They have made a number of diesels particularly the Hilux but unfortunately they are only available outside the US
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW I understabd that Jeep Liberty is available with Diesel. I also understand they do not stay on the lot very long. I am unaware of thier reliability or service record. Just wanted to mention this since your top priority is diesel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top