Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 2:29:11 PM EDT
Code 33 on a 1990 Century. This is a MAP sensor voltage too high. Only problem is, the 1990 doesnt have a MAP sensor!!!! WTF?!? Car runs fine cold, but when it is warmed up it clunks out every single time! Would be consistent with a MAP sensor, only problem is I cannot find it and every parts store that I called asking for a MAP sensor say they dont show this model having one! HELP!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Which engine do you have?  If it's the 2.5 it has a MAP sensor.  If it is the 3.3 it does not have a MAP sensor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the 3.3 engine.  Do I have to contact GM in order to find out what the trouble code is?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is the 3.3 engine.  Do I have to contact GM in order to find out what the trouble code is?

autozone does them for free
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just read a response on another forum and they said that it may be a generic code (33) for the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Just a note also, my car wont even start at this point anymore.  It turns over, but the engine does not catch....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

autozone does them for free

I may just have to take it to them...if I can get it started.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Code 33 on a 1990 Century. This is a MAP sensor voltage too high. Only problem is, the 1990 doesnt have a MAP sensor!!!! WTF?!? Car runs fine cold, but when it is warmed up it clunks out every single time! Would be consistent with a MAP sensor, only problem is I cannot find it and every parts store that I called asking for a MAP sensor say they dont show this model having one! HELP!

Code 33 on a '90 Century is actually for the MAF(Mass Airflow).  It refers to excessive flow. On models with a MAP sensor the same code is used, thus the confusion.

There are two things that you should consider, first make sure you don't use any performance filters that use oil, they damage the MAF unit.

Second, if you want to verify that the MAF is bad without going through component testing you take a screwdriver and rap the MAF unit(not too hard) while someone cranks. If it starts, go get a new MAF, ASAP!

Component testing will follow, if you need it just ask.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Code 33 on a '90 Century is actually for the MAF(Mass Airflow).  It refers to excessive flow. On models with a MAP sensor the same code is used, thus the confusion.

There are two things that you should consider, first make sure you don't use any performance filters that use oil, they damage the MAF unit.

Second, if you want to verify that the MAF is bad without going through component testing you take a screwdriver and rap the MAF unit(not too hard) while someone cranks. If it starts, go get a new MAF, ASAP!

Component testing will follow, if you need it just ask.

Thanks alot!  Gonna try it tomorrow.  Could the MAF not allow my car to start at all???
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I've seen cars fail to start with a bad MAF, if they do start they tend to choke out immediately. That's when I whack them, it saves me diagnostic time with a multimeter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top