Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 9:21:57 PM EDT
I use Craftsman tools almost exclusively. I have a decent roll-away chest at the big garage that's stocked with a fair assortment of hand tools (348 piece set and many other individually-purchased tools) and small power tools. Our one-car garage at home has a 263 piece set  that came with its own plastic chest with molded drawers, and I have two 150 piece sets, one in my older work truck and one in my business cargo trailer.

What do you have for tools?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
a craftsman pair of vise-grips, craftsman screwdriver with 23 bit set, generic needle nose pliars

and a cheap $20 set from walmart thats missing about 5 pieces  

guess i gotta work on it huh
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever I pickup when I need it.

Craftsman, Snap-on, Japo-crapo, Black and Decker, China specials, etc.

A screwdriver is a screwdriver for my uses. Made in China suits me just as well as a Craftsman or Snap-On.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to have a set of mixed Mac, Matco, and Snap-On...

Over the years most of it walked away.  Now I'm a Craftsman Junkie

I've got combination wrenches up to 1 3/4, and sockets up to the same in 3/4" drive.

Ratchets, breaker bars, spinners, extensions...

Excellent selection of screwdrivers, drift and punch set, T-Handle allen keys (S.A.E. and Metric)...

Hammers up to my 4lb Sledge...

Jack, jack stands... motorcycle / ATV lift...

All kinds of stuff.

All Craftsman

ETA:  Hand tools are organized into 2 Ralleye Boxes for easy transport in the Suburban Assault Vehicle
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used to have a set of mixed Mac, Matco, and Snap-On...

Over the years most of it walked away.  Now I'm a Craftsman Junkie

I hear ya.  High-end tools have a way of disappearing.

I am also a Craftsman junkie.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You don't even need to ask.

100%

SNAP ON

I'd buy Snap On too if they weren 10x the price of Craftsman.   SnapOn's great but big $$$$
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Mostly craftsman because of the warranty. Some Snap On in british standard (for my Triumph)...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Craftsman almost exclusively.  

I have a fairly complete portable box that I use for everything from work to hotrodding.  There is a noticable difference bewteen my basic grade craftsman and my Snap-On/Craftsman Pro stuff.  Unless you are a full time mechanic, and need that tool truck to be there every Tuesday, Snap-On isnt worth it.  I am just not a full time mechanic, I gave that up.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The bulk of my tools are Craftsman, but the specialty tools and the tools that I need to be 100% reliable, are Snap-on.  

For Example:
I use a screwdriver every day for my work, and I have several of these:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=702&store=snapon-store

They were expensive as hell, but IMHO worth every penny.

But my regular screwdrivers, sockets and ratchets are craftsman...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=702&store=snapon-store

up to $57 for a screwdriver  Fer cryin' out loud.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I own about 95% Snap On and a Snap On  Roll-Away Tool Box.

Latley I have been buying Craftsman, When I paid off the Snap On Dealer a few years ago he quit coming around
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I own about 95% Snap On and a Snap On  Roll-Away Tool Box.

Latley I have been buying Craftsman, When I paid off the Snap On Dealer a few years ago he quit coming around

+1

I buy Snap on mostly, and especially thier measurement type tools.  Like the leakage gauges and vaccum bleeder kits.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Spare AR and LS1 parts........................what else?  Just kidding.  (that's only about 7 drawers)  18 drawers, and a cabnet.  Craftsman.  Good quality, and seeing as how a you can alwasys find a Sears, the warrantee works out well.    
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
2 giant tool chests with every basic tool imaginable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a big Craftsman roll cab and chest, filled with mostly Crafsman tools. There are some Snap-On and Matco tools in there, mostly specialty tools. There is an Ingersol-Rand 60 gal 5 hp 2-stage air compressor, mostly IR air tools, 50 ton hydraulic press, 20 gallon parts washer, sand blaster, floor jacks, many jack stands (mostly screw type from the old race car days), Snap-On advance timing light (was expensive as hell), Engine crane and engine stands, and some miscellanious stuff like circular saws, jig saws, etc.

I also have another chest in the basement with mostly electronics tools and precision measuring tools. And a third chest in the gun room full of, well, gun tools.

I never sell tools. Dont' loan them either. That's why I still have (most) of mine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The bulk of my tools are Craftsman, but the specialty tools and the tools that I need to be 100% reliable, are Snap-on.  

For Example:

They were expensive as hell, but IMHO worth every penny.

But my regular screwdrivers, sockets and ratchets are craftsman...

Holy shit.

Up to $57.80 for a ratcheting screwdriver.

Wow. Not my money, though. As long as you're happy, have at them.

Personally,

is the way to go. Great warranty, great price, and the hand tools are made in the USA. Their electronic stuff like sawzalls are made in china, but most of the other stuff I buy is made in the US.

I do have other assorted tools, but the more important tools are Craftsman.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have pretty much all Craftman even though I hate the shit. I don' t have the big bucks to get the real deal. Snap on of course.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Well lets see:

0-1, 1-2 and 2-3" digital Mitutoyo mics

0-1.2" brown and sharp digital mics

0-4" starret digital mics

0-6" brown and sharp digital calipers

0-12" brown and sharp digital calipers

2 interapid indicators

spi dial indicator

grade B guage block set

noga indicator holder

5" sine plate

2 precision grinding vices one small and one large

set of import v-blocks

spi 1-2-3 blocks

import 1-2-3 blocks

magnetic cylander square

saburban angle plate

mini-V block set

import parallel set

brown and sharp super thin parallel set

inch and metric internal/external thread files

digital thermometer

3"- 12" hargrave forged c-clamps

Jackson auto darkening welding helmet

pneumatic pencil grider

pneumatic die grinder

alphabetic and numeric stencil set

center punches/locating punches

allen wrenches up to 3/4"

open end wrenches up to 1-1/4"

milwaukee sawzall and 18V drill

Allen 100 pc socket set

files, screwdrivers, torx wrenches, steel and tape rules, levels, hammers etc...

All housed in a kennedy roll around with side cart and a craftsman roll around. I use alot of these everyday. Some are just nice to have so I dont have to walk around the shop for 10 minutes looking for something. Im lucky to be able to purchase stuff with MSC or J&L and have an ammount taken from my paycheck every week.

Hard to believe Ive spent so much on tools in the last 6 years but it adds up quick. Having the right tools for the job handy at a known location saves time which makes for better profit on jobs. Its good to keep the bossman happy
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The only other tool brand I'd buy would probably be SK.

Interestingly, K-Mart's brand of tools, "Benchtop," isn't half bad. Their vise-grips are just as good as the brand-name.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The only other tool brand I'd buy would probably be SK.

if you like sk, check out some of the line from facom, their parent company. mainly sold in europe, but you can sometimes find it in the us. prices are all over the place, but deals can be had with patience. very well built and engineered. in particular i like their ratchets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top