Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 4:52:48 AM EDT
Requirements:

Under $1000, and the cheaper the better.
Around-Town, backroads bike only.  Will never see the interstate.  Will never see any streets with speed limits higher than 35.  Therefore, please no suggestions of "you need something bigger because you'll outgrow it" -- this would be a a specific-purpose bike, namely running chickenshit errands around a small town of 15,000 people.

I *prefer* the looks of the so-called "standard" style bikes like the Honda Rebel.  I'm kinda large, so I think I'd look rather funny and not be real comfortable on a sport-bike.  Due to price, obviously harley's are out (not that I mind....I'm not a mid-forty's mid-life-crisis type guy yet).

Don't really want a "dual-sport" bike, since the only dirt this thing would see would be the dust blowing around from the construction across the road.

So...post your suggestions for cheap, reliable, "standard" bikes that would fit the bill....searching Ebay or whatnot sucks since I don't know all the model numbers, and end up finding dirt-bike after dirt-bike.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Requirements:

Under $1000, and the cheaper the better.
Around-Town, backroads bike only.  Will never see the interstate.  Will never see any streets with speed limits higher than 35.  Therefore, please no suggestions of "you need something bigger because you'll outgrow it" -- this would be a a specific-purpose bike, namely running chickenshit errands around a small town of 15,000 people.

I *prefer* the looks of the so-called "standard" style bikes like the Honda Rebel.  I'm kinda large, so I think I'd look rather funny and not be real comfortable on a sport-bike.  Due to price, obviously harley's are out (not that I mind....I'm not a mid-forty's mid-life-crisis type guy yet).

Don't really want a "dual-sport" bike, since the only dirt this thing would see would be the dust blowing around from the construction across the road.

So...post your suggestions for cheap, reliable, "standard" bikes that would fit the bill....searching Ebay or whatnot sucks since I don't know all the model numbers, and end up finding dirt-bike after dirt-bike.

Have you priced a Honda Nighthawk lately or a Rebel? IIRC the Nighthawk is 234 cc and the Rebel is made in a 250 CC version.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
ETA-The Rebel is $3099 according to Honda's website.

The Nighthawk is $3599 according to the above.

You could find a used model for your price, maybe check the classifieds or Ebay.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA-Search "Rebel" or "Nighthawk."
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other suggestions?  Did suzuki or kawasaki make anything that would fit my requirements, or did they only make dirt and sport bikes?

Older bikes, perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any other suggestions?  Did suzuki or kawasaki make anything that would fit my requirements, or did they only make dirt and sport bikes?

Older bikes, perhaps?

Kawasaki KZ series-made in the 80's.  My BIL has one.

Check out p219.ezboard.com/bkzkawasakiriders47569
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
www.craigslist.com

I am watching and waiting myself. The gas savings alone fromt he Lib will pay for the bike quick!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive got the same idea on the backburners maily to save gas. I like the thought of an enduro bike. Heres a link to some:

bike-exchange.com/US_Enduro.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Any of the old Honda C series bikes would fit the bill pretty well.  I've owned a CB360T, a CM400E and another C series 450 (can't remember the model).  All were dirt cheap to maintain, averaged around 45mpg when tuned, were fairly light and gave me no real problems.  I love that style bike for around town riding.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any of the old Honda C series bikes would fit the bill pretty well.  I've owned a CB360T, a CM400E and another C series 450 (can't remember the model).  All were dirt cheap to maintain, averaged around 45mpg when tuned, were fairly light and gave me no real problems.  I love that style bike for around town riding.

+1 on the Honda C series.
Having owned a few early '70s CB500 4cyl bikes I'd snag another as a cheap commuter.  Not too big for running about in town but more than large enuff for highway duty if you ever need it.  They can usually be found for reasonable $$$$$.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Check if your state has the new rider /safe biker,AMA type classes.Around here,they use  Hondas,and there was a PILE of them for sale at the state surplus facility a month or two ago.I think they replace them every few years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top